What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im with you f'nut and think its time we leave the clocks alone
daylight savings has long outlived its usefulness and only messes with peoples circadian rythms
good call of habing your flour well seasoned
i have a few different mixes i will use depending on the flavors im looking for
i dont really brine but i will preseason some vinegar and use that to soak my chicken in before i fry it
/hear this was the secret to chik-filets chicken sandwihces, they use the dill pickle juice to marinate the chicken in
yeah he also mentioned using larger containers or planing directly into good ol mother earth
but that would create a plant that would be way too big
i tihnk we are going to use 5g buckets and just top the shit out of them next year
i also talked about possibly growing out a few as just single stalks with one main cola
i think i could actually try both especially if i brought them over later in the season ( the single stalked plants)
that is so funny you guys are having a chili dinner too
so the other day i see my mom and she has this vegitable quiche she got at the market
the cool think was instead of a regular pie crust they used polenta for the base
she had a piece about the size od a large brownie, but paid almost 8 bucks for it
i told her we could make that ourselves and this past weeeknd made a couple 9one for her and one for us)
this thing came out so good! ive been on a polenta kick lately and am trying to think of more ways to incorporate it into my old recipes
i tihnk i might try a chili pie with a polenta bottom or top with some of the leftovers from our dinner if we have any
i am so looking foreward to the weekend and cant wait for friday night
/just have to push through a couple more days and we are there
hope you are having a great week friend!
any plans for thanksgiving?

Fiddynut

im with you f'nut and think its time we leave the clocks alone
daylight savings has long outlived its usefulness and only messes with peoples circadian rythms
good call of habing your flour well seasoned
i have a few different mixes i will use depending on the flavors im looking for
i dont really brine but i will preseason some vinegar and use that to soak my chicken in before i fry it
/hear this was the secret to chik-filets chicken sandwihces, they use the dill pickle juice to marinate the chicken in
yeah he also mentioned using larger containers or planing directly into good ol mother earth
but that would create a plant that would be way too big
i tihnk we are going to use 5g buckets and just top the shit out of them next year
i also talked about possibly growing out a few as just single stalks with one main cola
i think i could actually try both especially if i brought them over later in the season ( the single stalked plants)
that is so funny you guys are having a chili dinner too
so the other day i see my mom and she has this vegitable quiche she got at the market
the cool think was instead of a regular pie crust they used polenta for the base
she had a piece about the size od a large brownie, but paid almost 8 bucks for it
i told her we could make that ourselves and this past weeeknd made a couple 9one for her and one for us)
this thing came out so good! ive been on a polenta kick lately and am trying to think of more ways to incorporate it into my old recipes
i tihnk i might try a chili pie with a polenta bottom or top with some of the leftovers from our dinner if we have any
i am so looking foreward to the weekend and cant wait for friday night
/just have to push through a couple more days and we are there
hope you are having a great week friend!
any plans for thanksgiving?
Good evening pop_rocks.

We just got chick-filets around here a couple years ago or so and still only have a couple in the area and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tried them yet. I may stopped at one when I traveled south a few years ago but don't remember but I've heard they are great. Pickle juice is something I've never thought of but it makes a lot of sense to use. It's salty so it would act as a brine and the acid would help tenderize and give some flavor. I could see that being really good and I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing it's a great idea.

I could imagine that growing a huge bush is troublesome in more ways than just being easer to spot. The big ones I see in pics seem to need a lot of support and how do you even harvest something that's twice your hight. Sounds like you guys have a good plan and have time to work on set up over the next few months. How fun!

Polenta is way underutilized and your right there is a lot you can do with it. The idea of using it for a crust is great. My wife's dad was strictly a southern grits guy, just butter and with eggs and bacon for him so that's how we often eat it (no eggs for me). But making a chili pie or a 'bake' with leftovers is a great idea. I could see myself making a sort of bake with bacon, cheese, potatoes, maybe some onions for a breakfast skillet type of thing. I've heard of frying it and other things too. I think I might have to have grits and bacon for dinner tonight now that you have me thinking about it.

I hope your week is going great too. Can't wait for the weekend. Not sure about thanksgiving yet I'll have to see if the family is doing a get together or else I'll probably invite some friends and cook a turkey on the smoker or something.

Rodehazrd

:tiphat:Hey Guys
Oh pops that polenta pie that sounds great. I do love polenta and grits can't say I get enough of either. I always loved sheperds pie but using polenta instead of potato is a great idea.
Yeah fiddy they were not fems I found two more suspects last night so thats 6 of 9 still good I only expected 4 but with the freebies I popped that gives me 9 for the 1k in 3 gal pots. My Barneys cookies kush is very skinny and thin you can see right through it I thought cookies was a wide leaf strain. The rolex og it is crossed with I had never heard of but she is one strange looking plant next to the kushes. I will post some pix in couple of days when they finish deciding their sex. I had planned to stay with seeds but I have to keep some of these just in case I fall in love with one of the candy kush girls. They really put on a strong stalk and stems. I don't think support will be needed but I can always hope. I expect some slow clones cutting this late but thats ok I can't run the flower room in Jan and Feb and keep it warm enough without a lot of effort. I want to build a file cabinet cloner I saw on IC just took out some inside drawers and put light and fan in there I could have it in my office and keep them happy and hidden and locked.
:plant grow:

Fiddynut

:tiphat:Hey Guys
Oh pops that polenta pie that sounds great. I do love polenta and grits can't say I get enough of either. I always loved sheperds pie but using polenta instead of potato is a great idea.
Yeah fiddy they were not fems I found two more suspects last night so thats 6 of 9 still good I only expected 4 but with the freebies I popped that gives me 9 for the 1k in 3 gal pots. My Barneys cookies kush is very skinny and thin you can see right through it I thought cookies was a wide leaf strain. The rolex og it is crossed with I had never heard of but she is one strange looking plant next to the kushes. I will post some pix in couple of days when they finish deciding their sex. I had planned to stay with seeds but I have to keep some of these just in case I fall in love with one of the candy kush girls. They really put on a strong stalk and stems. I don't think support will be needed but I can always hope. I expect some slow clones cutting this late but thats ok I can't run the flower room in Jan and Feb and keep it warm enough without a lot of effort. I want to build a file cabinet cloner I saw on IC just took out some inside drawers and put light and fan in there I could have it in my office and keep them happy and hidden and locked.
:plant grow:
Good morning Rodehazrd.

Shepherds pie with polenta sounds great.

The CC cookies I grew were a dark green fat leaf plant for me. I haven't had a stand out weird plant like that but it should be fun to grow out and see what comes of it. Good idea to keep some cuts just in case, the CK sound good and I hope they really put out for you. The file cabinet cloner sounds like a great idea, stealthily and lockable. Please put up some pics when you get it up and running.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh man, grits are the bomb, guys!
growing up down south i loved grits or even just eating hominy kernels whole
we used to just soak the corn and cook it up with a little salt
man, i miss good old southern cooking
looking fore ward to seeing the pics rode!

yeah fiddy, huge plants are more problems than you can imagine
when i was growing outdoors i would grow trees that towered over you and loose half my tops to the bots-rot or other diseases
we would also find all kinds of critters in the foliage/ buds
the biggest problem are his neighbors
they are good people and i dont think they are narks, (they are vietnamese), but at the same time i dont want to rock the boat and cause trouble for my buddy with his neighbors
im content with using a modest sized container to limit growth and the topping/lst'ing the fuck out of the plants
my only thing is, once they start flowering we dont mess with them too much
we all know how the plants can stretch so im anticipating at least a doubling in height
so if i want to keep them under 6ft, we need to start with plants no bigger than 3-4 ft
dude, you have got to try the chik-filet chciken sandwiches!
they are simple no nonsence sandwiches but man are they good
get the basic chicken sandwich,( i like extra pickles) but dont worry about dressing it up with sauces or lettuce/ cheese
its good on its own and they also have waffle fries that are worth getting

also, big ups our man p'fan for being cool like fonzie
you know what im talking about willis

Fiddynut

oh man, grits are the bomb, guys!
growing up down south i loved grits or even just eating hominy kernels whole
we used to just soak the corn and cook it up with a little salt
man, i miss good old southern cooking
looking fore ward to seeing the pics rode!

yeah fiddy, huge plants are more problems than you can imagine
when i was growing outdoors i would grow trees that towered over you and loose half my tops to the bots-rot or other diseases
we would also find all kinds of critters in the foliage/ buds
the biggest problem are his neighbors
they are good people and i dont think they are narks, (they are vietnamese), but at the same time i dont want to rock the boat and cause trouble for my buddy with his neighbors
im content with using a modest sized container to limit growth and the topping/lst'ing the fuck out of the plants
my only thing is, once they start flowering we dont mess with them too much
we all know how the plants can stretch so im anticipating at least a doubling in height
so if i want to keep them under 6ft, we need to start with plants no bigger than 3-4 ft
dude, you have got to try the chik-filet chciken sandwiches!
they are simple no nonsence sandwiches but man are they good
get the basic chicken sandwich,( i like extra pickles) but dont worry about dressing it up with sauces or lettuce/ cheese
its good on its own and they also have waffle fries that are worth getting

also, big ups our man p'fan for being cool like fonzie
you know what im talking about willis
Good afternoon pop_rocks.

I was too lazy to make grits the other night but I'll be having a bacon and grits breakfast this weekend for sure. I want to try some fried grits as well. Your right that southern style comfort food is special. I have a couple cook books that I get inspiration from for southern style dishes I cook.

Sounds like outdoor trees would be a bad idea here. The cold rainy fall weather would make for perfect mold and pm conditions. You mention critters as well and I believe that. I didn't post about it but the outdoor we grew at my bros had plenty of little bugs in it. When we were trimming it up I took a look with the 30x scope and saw all kinds of shit. We were going to bring it in my basement to dry but once I saw the bugs we got it the hell out of there so that the bugs didn't get established in my house. It would have been a huge bummer to get bugs that would get into my indoor grow. Good idea not to rock the boat with your buddies neighbors. Looking forward to seeing what you guys grow up next summer.

I will try the chicken sandwich for sure now. I'm usually looking to try new things that I hear are good so I'm suprised that I haven't had it yet. Ther isn't one very close to me but there is one near the hydro shop and I have to go on Monday to get some new t5's so that would be a great time to get a sandwich and the waffle fries sound good too.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? Looks like fall is about over here. I woke up to 17 degree temps this morning and it's snowing today with a high of 30. I hope this isn't a sign of an extra cold winter to come. I don't mind the 4 seasons but I'm not happy going outside when it's below about 10 degrees. I hope you had a great week and have an awesome weekend on tap.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings tribe.

I watered the plants this morning and took a few pics of them. Even though some of the leaves (mostly on the lower parts of the plant) arnt as pretty as I'd like the tops are looking good. The colas continue to bulk up and fill in. I went back down to 10ml PBP bloom per gallon of ro water for feed this time. It works out to about 500ppm and my runoff was around 1200ppm or so.
Here is a shot of them to give some perspective of how big they are. The tent is 3' wide and the plants are allmost as tall as me.

Looks like a sea of colas to me.

Close up of a cola.

The clones are getting big too. If I let them they will be unruly in a hurry. Next week I'm going to take the tops off the ones in the smaller pots and root them in my bubble cloner, they will be the plants for the next flower cycle. The other 4 will be the moms but I'm not sure how long I want to keep them for. I'm guessing I can just take cuts from them once they get too big and keep taking cuts of cuts to keep the strain around.
Here is a shot of the clones. They are about a month since I cut them from the plants. They have rooted and grown really quickly.

Also of note I gave the lady's a close inspection this morning and didn't find any more balls on any of the plants. Maybe it was a temporary phase they were in or something. I just hope I didn't miss any and there weren't any up top an only of the plants that I didn't catch. I'm going to be disappointed if I get a bunch of seeds. I don't think that will happen.

Badfishy1

Here’s the deal my man. Gotta hit the chik fil A for the chicken n biscuit, then go to hydro store then back for the chicken sandwich at lunch!

As far as southern cooking is concerned, my nanny was the queen of southern cooking. Gotta remember most ‘southern cooking’ is from time of slavery. Therefore every ingredient should be CHEAP. Read all these cookbooks talking about how to make southern food that total $100 in ingredients. FUCK THAT. Cheap, easy and slow is how it’s done. For example biscuits and gravy should be nothing more than sausage renderings flour and a bit of cream. I personally add chicken stalk for flavor but that’s just me. I’ve seen recipes that have 10 ingredients. No. That is retarded lol

Fiddynut

Here’s the deal my man. Gotta hit the chik fil A for the chicken n biscuit, then go to hydro store then back for the chicken sandwich at lunch!

As far as southern cooking is concerned, my nanny was the queen of southern cooking. Gotta remember most ‘southern cooking’ is from time of slavery. Therefore every ingredient should be CHEAP. Read all these cookbooks talking about how to make southern food that total $100 in ingredients. FUCK THAT. Cheap, easy and slow is how it’s done. For example biscuits and gravy should be nothing more than sausage renderings flour and a bit of cream. I personally add chicken stalk for flavor but that’s just me. I’ve seen recipes that have 10 ingredients. No. That is retarded lol
Good afternoon Badfishy.

Now your talking. I didn't even know they did breakfast at chik but I love briskets and chicken so I'll give it a try for sure.

I like your philosophy on southern food. It's been said that a good chef can make the best meal from very inexpensive ingredients. Anyone can make a $100 piece of tenderloin taste good but it takes time and skill to make a cheep piece of brisket or a pork shoulder melt in your mouth delicious. I'm with you on the gravy as well, a bit of stock lighten it up and makes it really tasty.

Badfishy1

Just used a ‘traeger’ smoker for the first time. Pretty neat little get up. Basically the smoker has a hopper that you dump compressed wood pellets into. In the bottom there is a little auger that feeds said pellets into smoke box. Has a digital display to set temp. Set temp, walk away return in 6 hours n deed is done. Not cheap for a smoker, but easy as can be

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
spot on fish, southern cooking should be cheap
like you said, real southern food was the food of the people and they had to use the parts no one else wanted
but it seems to be more popular now than ever and prices have gone way up
i remember when i could get a piece of skirt steak or some flat meat for about a buck a pound
you marinate that up and cook it just right and it was delcious but now its become so popular that the price has trippled
luckily we can still get pork shoulder or butt pretty cheap
the plan to hit it up before and after your shopping is brilliant!
they do have breakfast biscuits and they are really good

the plants are looking great f,nut!
all very uniform, sorry to ask again butwhat seeds were these?
/looks like hte breeder did a great job of locking down his pheno
did you have to do much training up till now or is this just how they would grow naturally
do you notice much variation between plants?
its getting cooler here, but its nothing like you have
our nighttime low was i think 60ish, maybe high 50's
this week we have a short thermometer, meaning there is not too much difference between day and night temps
it might get up to 68-70 today but next week i hear it warms up back into the 70's
so do you think you will be seeing some snow anytime soon?

packerfan79

Veteran
What's up jungle mates, been a crazy week, thank God it's the weekend. I took the wife out to dinner for our 7 year anniversary lastnight. Had a bision ribeye that was awesome, had leftover with eggs this morning. I will be sprayingthe big room today. I found some thrips the other night. They came with my mendobreath clones, grrr this is why I don't buy clones. Everyone claims their clones are clean yeah sure they are. At least thrips are easily killed.

Flowering plants are chugging along nicely, I came in and the wife tells me you fucking stink. My ghost ogs are massive and have the signature floppy stems that true ogs have. They are past the halfway point, I am getting excited.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am having a hard time getting moving this morning. I slept till 830 which is unheard of for me. I am going to drop some hash off to my buddy so I can have a couple pans of brownies for thanks giving.

Fiddynut

Just used a ‘traeger’ smoker for the first time. Pretty neat little get up. Basically the smoker has a hopper that you dump compressed wood pellets into. In the bottom there is a little auger that feeds said pellets into smoke box. Has a digital display to set temp. Set temp, walk away return in 6 hours n deed is done. Not cheap for a smoker, but easy as can be
Good afternoon Badfishy.

That's cheating bro. But it's ok to cheat a little. My kamado burns coal and wood but I have a devise with a fan and thermostat in it that stokes the fire and keeps temps just right even when I'm not there to check on it. I can put a butt on in the evening and get the fire set and plug it in and get a full nights sleep. When I wake up in the morning the pit is still right at temp. The devise is called a pitmaster iq and it hooks into the bottom intake vent of the pit.

Fiddynut

Good afternoon gentlemen.

@pop_rocks. You are right that the "cheap" cuts have gotten more popular and much more expensive as well. Skirt steak can be close to 10 bucks a pound here sometimes. Even brisket is coming up in price. I guess it's just the way of the world these days.

These are bodhi's chemdog 91 jb X snow lotus. I don't even think this is a strain he named or sold because I can't find a name anywhere. I also can't find any other grow journals on them. There were a freebie I got when I bought the lemon wookie and the granola funk packs. The label says 2016 love gift chemdog91jbXsnowlotus. He has a strain named moontang I think that is chem91Xsnowlotus but it us s a diffrent cut of the 91 (skunk va cut rather than the Joe brand cut). The one in the back left is the tallest and less branchy of them and the front right is about 10" shorter but very bushy. I have the short one up on bricks to keep the canopy more even. I think there will be some variance in these girls. The two taller ones have slightly skinnier leaves and are more sativa like than anything I've grown before. Each plant was topped once and all the except the short one were lst'd at the v I tied down both branches to save some hight.

Feels very winter like here last couple days or so. Got on and off snow flurries all day yesterday and might get 1/2" of snow today and tonight. It's pretty early for snow here the leaves are still on a lot of the trees. Send some of those warm temps our way please.

@Packerfan. Happy anniversary! I've had bison burgers but never steaks but sounds like they are worth trying.

Sorry to hear about your thrips. What do you use to get rid of them? I've not had a lot of bugs only the fungus gnats but I keep azamax, and spinosad on hand just in case.

My plants have very floppy stems too, more so than in past grows. Do you have any pics of your girls to show off. Since we are just about on the same day of flower I'd love to compare what you have growing to mine.

Rodehazrd

:tiphat:Hey Tribe
Here is the Barneys Cookies kush and a Dutch kush behind it ,
the cookies seems healthy just skinny its a cross of GSC and OG Rolex. Both mostly indica she is 19 inches tall and in first week of stretch. The Duk in the back left is already showing. Does this look like a normal pheno? Thats NLxBig bud in the back right and one of my new Candy kush front right

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 9

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that is a great price, p'fan
about how many are you replacing?
that is awesome about you and your wifes 7y anniversary
hope the two of you enjoy many more good years together

nice variety, rode!
its hard to tell about the dutch kush pheno being unusual or not
have you grown any of these varieties out before?

thanks for the run down fiddy
you can tell you have put some good effort into your canopy
maybe you can find a keeper from both ends of the strain, a fat leaf one and a skinny leaf var
wow, snow so soon?
that is kind of cool but im not the one who has to deal with it, so i guess its kind of easy for me to say
have you packed the bike away for the winter?
oh, how did your chili come out?
hope you guys enjoyed your race and everyone had a great time
we all had fun and the mrs really hit it out of the park with her chili
we actually finished the last bowl this afternoon

packerfan79

Veteran

nice variety, rode!

maybe you can find a keeper from both ends of the strain, a fat leaf one and a skinny leaf var
wow, snow so soon?
that is kind of cool but im not the one who has to deal with it, so i guess its kind of easy for me to say

I, reokaced all 4 and the 600 in veg. Thanks for the,congratulations been married 7 years. It's been a great 7 years.

Rodehazrd

nice variety, rode!

wow, snow so soon?
Thanks pop its the cookies kush i asked about it is just so sparse and funny looking. I was thinking it may be an outlier.It just dosen't look like I think indica should. No never ran any of these before, this is the most indica crop yet for me. Just popping the freebies and the Ck regs. I have 3males

Rodehazrd

Hey Fishy
Congrats on the 7 years thats a milestone for sure. Glad you celebrated properly. We must celebrate all we can, the good things that happen in our lives. I don't remember whole days but there are some moments I will always have in my memory. Especially some of the celebrations that took just a little extra effort to pull off.
Kudos on the lamps. I paid 80 for my last Hortie and it was money well spent. Re-lamping gave me some more density in the headband buds. I had no idea the spectrum had changed so much in old bulbs.
I see Fla still has no functioning MMj rules, are you in the cue for a grow license?