What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
In the above post you see that I slid the cap over the branch. After coating the stem I put one of the bottle halves into the cap and twisted it on to keep the bottle together. In this bottle half I put in coco coir packed it down and watered it.

In the above picture you can see that the lower half is twisted to the stake. You can also see that I slide the other bottle top over the bottom bottle top. Again I twisted the cap on to keep it tight.

I did two like this. One has no branch nodes and the other has two nodes. I dated and timed them so I can track their progress. So We will see If I can make this work.

Oh and both branches are 12 to 16 inches long.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Very nice IC....

I think in almost all cases They uses small volume air layers...commonly rapid rooters....

when they see roots they cut them....

I intend to give them much more space.....as you did to grow roots....

so when they are transplanted they dont skip a beat...

If you cut them too early you will have to keep them in a protected environment longer.....

IMO.... Im going to let the plant not only root on the mom....but veg some too.....

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took a number of clones.....

when they rooted ..... I did some air layers.... now that all have rooted.....

they are largely the same size.....

I cant tell which are which.....

So Im having a hard time relating to what you are saying....

Got any pics?. It sounds like a good method to get short ones. You should document it.

Not sure it's commercially viable but i like it..

Budley Doright

Veteran
Oh and both branches are 12 to 16 inches long.

My intent....it to train these daughter branches on the mom long before they are air layers....

these early tests are simply to see how much vegetation can be on the air layer....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
My volume is about half the bottle so about 10 ounces or maybe a little less. I would say half of a beer cups volume.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Well women say men cant judge length right.

IC..... could you monitor and measure the clone part of the air layer....

does it elongate....

does it continue to grow.....

For example...when you see roots and the roots fill your container..... is the clone still growing...... does it stop then start again......

Im a little unsure myself what happens....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Got any pics?. It sounds like a good method to get short ones. You should document it.

Not sure it's commercially viable but i like it..

I had a new camera and my pics were too dark to be useful.....

Thats what the thread is for..... documenting air layering....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I took two sticks and marked one with one line and the other with two lines. I transferred these two marks onto the stem and placed the end of the stick at the branch tip. So if the branch grows it should show when I put the lines together because the tip of the stick and the tip of the branch will not line up.

As much as I don't like you due to your attitude and the unorganized way that you formulate your posts and poor grammer, I have to say, you get it about the light scraping. It's critical and speeds things up greatly!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
interesting thread.. like I said I did air layering in school and tried it and discounted it as unnessasary for my needs... but fun to watch others..never did give a shit about numbers..i grow what I want ..always did,, always will..rock on guys.....schools out fuck grammar class..!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. read my sig on how I feel..this aint about English,sentances,spelling..as long as I can understand its fine by me...this is a site about cannabis...theres lots here from other countries that aint English first language too...yeehaw..off fishing

Budley Doright

Veteran
As much as I don't like you due to your attitude and the unorganized way that you formulate your posts and poor grammer, I have to say, you get it about the light scraping. It's critical and speeds things up greatly!

Im not doing light scraping.....

Im scarifying and wounding.....to expose the cambium layer......

That green line thats seen under the outer layer.......

You may get by with light scraping on a small clone.....but for a large hunk of plant.....much more is required....

from the internet...

Species difficult to root should be “wounded” as this helps encourage rooting. This involves making an additional light cut on either side of the cut stem at the base to expose more of the cambium.

The cambium is the light green layer you see under bark when you scrape it away, before you get to the wood, this is a single layer of meristem tissue. Wounding also helps in some cases to remove a physical barrier which may be getting in the way of roots forming.
You can scrape off the bark or outer layer to expose the cambium using a knife of the sharp edge of your scissors or secateurs.

Im not inventing anything new.... Im simply applying known horticulture techniques to cannabis......

Latest posts

Latest posts