What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I wasnt expecting you to smoke it. You dont need to smoke hash in order to get the best high of it
I guess this is neuroscience. You will always like better the food you tried first
These forums should have existed in the 80's when I had plenty of fermented weed. You should have told me back then to snus ganja in the 80's, I tried making teas with ganja and it was a total waste

If you put a tiny piece of hash same weight you do for cobs and you dissolve it in a spoon with a little bit of olive oil using a gas heater and place the dissolved content of that spoon in your coffee, in your tea with milk or in your dairy pudding, you get space coffee or space pudding and effects should match the one of your cob, but since I dont have your skill for making cobs and I dont have a Tangwena around me to make cobs for me, I stick with making space resin

With ganja I know and tried bhang and cambodian space pizza, but I never tried snusing
I am interested to know if there is a difference in the effect between fermented and non fermented hash and not for smoking purposes but for making space pudding or space turkish coffee which I really like a lot, I guess is a matter of tastes, be it ganja or hash, I like it cured since this is the way I learnt it, it makes a big difference.
But one thing is cured hash and another thing is fermented hash and I am really curious about it and I guess curiosity is what killed the cat
I see what you were getting at sorry but I have very limited experience with hashish.
The only time I was exposed to hash was in the 70's I spent 4 years in England which was awash with Moroccan, Lebanese, Pakistani, Nepalese and Afghani hashish. I used them all as there was no decent buds available to me.
I found them all very narcotic and not at all to my taste.
A friend of mines father was Lebanese and he refused to smoke the Lebanese sold in Europe as he said it was green and not cured properly but that is as much as I know about hashish.
I never found one with a high as good as the cobs we used to get in Malawi so I have never delved any further into it.
So sorry I cant answer your question as I have no experience with good hashish only old school commercial stuff.
Chewing cobs you get the whole flower as with hash you get only the resin a lot of other oils and flavors are left behind and back then Hashish was made from plants that were weak smoked as buds hence the resin was collected and condensed to get a more powerful effect.
But I couldn't get passed using narcotic plants to make it. I prefer a more stimulating physically and mentally type of high that I cant get from Hash plants.

They are two different types of effect and I dont think they can be judged against each other as they are so different at least to my way of thinking.

funkyhorse

I think the only reason I never could stay long term in Europe is because I never liked the quality of cannabis available, at the third world you got much better quality back then, this is also the reason why I spent most of my life in Landraceland.
I have been in 2018 in Amsterdam and I was impressed by the high prices and low quality of goods offered, which is not surprising since goods at coffeeshops are kept in a tupper which is opened and closed every minute and touched and smelled by every single customer. I bought a very hyped up Manala Cream charas which happened to be the worst charas I smoked in my life. I thought it might be the jetlag so I brought that rubbish home to test against the charas/finger hash I made and I simply coudnt believe it is such rubbish sold at those crazy prices

If you grow up eating grass fed beef and then you try this feed lot beef they are making today, you want to puke
The same with your lebanese friend father, I certainly agree with him. Ask him what he thinks of hand made whipped hummus or the one made with a mixer

Resins are not narcotic, strains are narcotic. If you make a Northern Lights or afghan cob, you get a narcotic cob
Lebanese hash was not narcotic. It had 2 clear different effects, one was uplifting, only good for outdoor parties. The other was dreamy and made your ass very heavy, but wasnt narcotic at all
Some varieties of indian and nepali charas are very uplifting, great mood enhancers. I love charas

I tell you what the people from Pollinator(tumbler machine for extracting pollen) told me: you get what you put in. And same applies to cobs. This is an alchemy but this is not magic. You will not turn magically a narcotic strain into an uplifting one just because you cobbed it

If you still have that piece of Mulanje resin, try it, it has a beautiful cure by this time. Because that Mulanje resin applied to a coffee would probably turn all of the little hairs of your ass into little propellers

Tangwena

Veteran
I think the only reason I never could stay long term in Europe is because I never liked the quality of cannabis available, at the third world you got much better quality back then, this is also the reason why I spent most of my life in Landraceland.
I have been in 2018 in Amsterdam and I was impressed by the high prices and low quality of goods offered, which is not surprising since goods at coffeeshops are kept in a tupper which is opened and closed every minute and touched and smelled by every single customer. I bought a very hyped up Manala Cream charas which happened to be the worst charas I smoked in my life. I thought it might be the jetlag so I brought that rubbish home to test against the charas/finger hash I made and I simply coudnt believe it is such rubbish sold at those crazy prices

If you grow up eating grass fed beef and then you try this feed lot beef they are making today, you want to puke
The same with your lebanese friend father, I certainly agree with him. Ask him what he thinks of hand made whipped hummus or the one made with a mixer

Resins are not narcotic, strains are narcotic. If you make a Northern Lights or afghan cob, you get a narcotic cob
Lebanese hash was not narcotic. It had 2 clear different effects, one was uplifting, only good for outdoor parties. The other was dreamy and made your ass very heavy, but wasnt narcotic at all
Some varieties of indian and nepali charas are very uplifting, great mood enhancers. I love charas

I tell you what the people from Pollinator(tumbler machine for extracting pollen) told me: you get what you put in. And same applies to cobs. This is an alchemy but this is not magic. You will not turn magically a narcotic strain into an uplifting one just because you cobbed it

If you still have that piece of Mulanje resin, try it, it has a beautiful cure by this time. Because that Mulanje resin applied to a coffee would probably turn all of the little hairs of your ass into little propellers
I couldn't agree more you only get out what you put in there is no magic bullet.
It has to be trippy to begin with you cant make it so by curing it only enhances what was there in the first place.
Like this beauty 2008 Honduras x Panama cob trippy as all hell.
All caramalised and really nice and chewy or smokey as the case maybe dense smooth deeply trippy smoked.

picture.php
picture.php

NotYourSaviour

Just some thoughts

Just some thoughts

Hi my friend thanks for the kind words.
Regarding potency of highs it all starts with using the correct plant in the first place. I am sure you know that something grown on a hill in Columbia near the equator is not going to be the same as if I grow it at sea level in a cold climate or even indoors under lights.
Just because the buds are covered in resin or tested to be high THC doesn't mean your going to get a trippy high.
Most if not all the pot I have smoked since I left Africa years ago just gets you stoned highs are very few and far between.
Cob curing will not increase potency if its not there in the first place.
Its just a method of curing pot to make it smoother to smoke it also makes it useful to chew if you prefer to not smoke or cant as is my case.
To get a trippy effect from this cure you need first class trippy pot to begin with.
Grown properly, harvested at its peak for trippy effects and then cured the best way to bring these effects out.
Its extremely difficult to get all these things correct. Miss any one and you fail so giving it a shot will not get the results you seak.
Only dedicated growers of high quality trippy grass who know what they are doing and understand curing will ever get there.
The rest of us just keep trying to perfect the art of growing pot, curing pot and enjoying pot.

Thanks for putting me back on track, really. Hard to prove but I know all you pointed out but sometimes I forget about it and look for easy approaches.
Yes, it's all about the beginning and the right chosen phenotype, let alone strain.
Sad but true though the journey is the reward and all that again, yes? Funkyhorse took the words out of my mouth sorta as I planned to ask you about that for some time but due to my general lack of time and stuff I only could ask now, cheers to both of you again!

Though while we're on it saying and knowing all that I have to mention that since some years due to science now 'indica' or 'sativa' is a very rough term to me and indeed not much saying about effects of a strain as terpenes seemingly are an strong(er) influence.
I mean when we talk about effects in particular!

Not wanting to hijack this thread or discuss this any further so this is just food for thoughts sorta:

I'm talking first hand experiences here as when some others and myself united and grew for our very close circle of mates there were always some people involved looking for strains giving an uplifting effect[while they were mostly daily users and often all day long since years, sadly fitting the stereotype of a lazy pothead] and not 'demotivating' them so to speak.

Since I reckon I researched this plant to some degree(pharmacology, risks, advantages)it already was like searching for something non-existent as for sure this plant does have some stimulant effect(s) but it is indeed only a part and other cannabinoids and indeed terpenes play their role as well.

Not to forget about classic 'set', 'setting', one's individual body, form of the day, time of day and dosage while doing drugs in general.

Those mates obviously trusted some random seedbanks marketing a bit too much respectively they 'wanted to be a believer' instead of questioning their own consumption ; we discussed this a lot.

Looking at all those advertisements of seedbanks or even within the legalization movement I sometimes think they want to sell the new stimulant[cocaine/(meth-)amphetamine/caffeine] in general.

A promise this plant just can't keep without modifying it big time for certain cannabinoids while excluding others as other substances work like(read very selective indeed) that at your local pharmacy but this plant is a mixture of substances[cannabinoids].
Really cheap as it is way more complicated(not claiming to sum this up all here it's still very rough).
I bet most of the gear advertised as 'up high' or 'stoned' wouldn't pass a (double)blind test and a good part is suggestion[set].

Again I think one's own mind[set]is another key factor as well as frequency of use is, too. Since as I said I'm pretty much of an occasional user since decades though I consume more often if on holidays(weeks e.g.)so I can handle a lot of effects due to long experience[good as well as bad ones] and as said generally like it as strong as possible(racy and trippy thoughts, euphoria, great feeling bodywise) instead of a half-baked(pun intended)functional high as some seedbanks advertise their strains as well.
While seeds are only one third of the whole experience and roughly 'set' and 'setting' are heavy influences as well while indeed seedbanks and others act as their merchandise is the most important part.
Of course if one is a medical user it is obvious to be in the need of it but I'm just talking about recreational use here[instead of many among the legalization movement abuse the medically side of this plant to argue for recreational use which is another 'good intentions can go wrong' in the end and while I see somewhat good intention it's counterproductive in my eyes and should be handled separately].
According to their business orientated advertisements I'm curious what comes next? A strain 'for studying at university', one 'for driving your car better', 'enchancing sex', 'working better on the assembly line' or one for 'generally being more attractive'? Who knows?

Excuse my criticism towards such seedbanks/others and their marketing but this is just ridiculous though of course has to do with this society worldwide is becoming more and more about control, especially 'quantified self'/self-tracking movement ; a disgusting trend in society, control freaks to say the least.

Which means as a recreational user myself I stick to occasional use as on the regular my tolerance goes through the roof[when on holiday] and I'm left with a very reduced effect(bit euhporia and bit sedation)no matter how often I switch between strains or hashish(that's why in my humble opinion concentrates like oil became a lot more popular for consumers 'with a high tolerance' in recent years but again, you can't escape tolerance).

Just got handed some fine Moroc from a friend's box he stashed away, a tiny amount in a bong made me fly for a good time and we went to a small party without me having to consume again as I didn't consume at that point since a week(no 'tolerance break' as there is no scheme to do so at all in my case).
So again I wanna take a ride sorta if consuming not a watered down version.
Also I can add as a pretty anal person myself in many issues I pretty much prefer the first consumption of the day and probably like to get high more than to stay high sorta ; every new consumption on that very day is roughly only 'keeping up the high' with very reduced effects already if I don't triple my dosage, even with other strains or hashish, at one point I only get more tired faster no matter which strain while the first high of the day particularly makes me feel less tired to the end('what comes *up must comes down')and just often if 'couchlocked' or not feels pretty energetic to me compared to further experiencies on that day.

Though this doesn't mean with a 'low tolerance' I can consume any schwag and 'fly high as kite/stoned to the max' as schwag is still schwag which as an very experienced consumer I can distinguish compared to someone consuming one or two times a year ; the high may be a bit stronger but is easily handled by extensive experience as said if strong, medium or weak.
Also a high tolerance means shit as it is all about experience and one can't get higher than one with low tolerance apart from the individual body
So conclusion is in my case that I stick to occasional use for the reasons above everything else is just turning this wonderful plant into a somewhat commodity and life is full of boring though necessarily routines, I'm fine, thanks - I prefer my idea of full enjoyment though have of course to underline again I respect other approaches may they be medically or recreationally.
Also it is great to see that there is still enthusiasm in regards to this interesting plant to learn and improve more and more about it in general!

Not to forget too: the general high also depends on how much one consumes which means if one is smoking less of a sedative strain one is less sedative while experiencing a mild high and so on.
Just my two cents! Hope haven't regressed too heavily!

By the way one last point: As I said all the landrace stuff(Jamaica, Ghanian, Thai and others) coming to Europe or especially is being sold at coffeeshops or wherever is horribly commercial and so weak in effects I just use it every now and then as a filler for hashish.
I'm afraid there are not much better varieties(except for Jamaican maybe as I heard people rave about certain grades from the traditional landrace there ; though also "Thai sticks")at least what arrives here, some inner exclusive rich circles excluded here though.

I take it they are all not very potent landraces and indeed quite mixed due to open pollination and no real breeding work at all(selecting and all that on a big scale)and they're probably also rich in CBD which balances out the high more to me(for the record: I distinguish between highs leaning on the 'high side' or 'stoned side' as well as a mixture of both) ; as you put it also weed is different to resin for obvious reasons but latter one tends to make me a lot less tired especially when consuming all day as it is again working less 'selective' and indeed not concentrated(where definitely 'something' gets lost)if you get my drift.

@FunkyHorse

Cheers for your input.
*I pretty much know your recipe for 'space coffee' as you put it as I used this for years myself to the point I couldn't anymore as the taste - that bitter certain taste it comes up with no matter which quality and organically grown gear(hashish/weed) and all that - became so disgusting to me. Figuratively to the point the yogurt jumped out of my mouth because my body is fighting and saying 'leave me alone', lol.

I tried a lot to mask that taste and ended up with something like e.g. BadKittySmiles' * as a base and combine this with honey, maple sirup or agave syrup ; do the math as how strong you like and it works perfect with tea or whatever.

Taste is sadly still noticeably but a hell of a lot better, especially with beverages you just can down them easily.

I also hear you on the issues with coffeeshops and their handle of weed and hashish.

Personally I like it clean but luckywise not to a sick extent but already noticed before Covid19 and shit that hygiene rules(let alone health protection regarding nutrients, bacteria and stuff as all coming from the unregulated black market)are very rough though not many let customers touch their gear these days luckywise.
Though this was different back in the day and now during Covid19 they seemed to have learned more about that, better: were forced to take care a bit more. Otherwise I also agree about the miserable storage and all that.

It is very profit orientated but still somehow quite amateurish which to me on one hand(amateurish) has it's charm in this pseudo-perfect society and on the other has to do with the tolerated situation and mostly criminal gangs supplying them compared to some decades back where a bit more dedication was involved(though I heard this is also a problem with very professional gear sold officially in Canada/Usa as they might work and produce relatively fine though they are only in it often for the money. Though I prefer a professional approach to the half-baked, outdated dutch approach.).

Still go there mainly for a quick holiday from everyday's hustle and bustle and only secondarily focus on hashish mostly beside some days off ; it's a bonus and easily available though for the exceptional gear you have to track down other sources which again applies to the rest of the world and is only a bit easier there due to long time infrastructure).

I hear you also on the often very overpriced hashish from Asia(India, Pakistan, Nepal), most of the very best stays there anyway due to a culture established ages ago compared to Europe and most of the very best goes to Saudi Arabia and such for 'big money'.
Though talking about uppish highs in this thread I particularly find the best examples to be found in Europe of that type at least to be almost invisible sometimes highwise as it is more of a relaxed body and very focussed mind and I often recommend traditional hashish(no matter where from sorta)to people looking for a not so challenging high(especially at a low dosage) compared to thc-rich indoor weed.
I agree sorta with you on this metaphors about food though in case of hand made whipped hummus as a passionate eater of hummus myself whom learnt it from lebanese circles as well(not saying they invited this, I don't care as I like israeli, palestinian, syrian or wherever from as well)I have to say it is probably again only a matter of taste and not essential.

Essential are only two ingredients: love and dedication!

Last edited:

ankhori

I'm so happy I found this thread, amazing. Thanks all cannabis community to share this usefull information, special Tangwena. <3

Just out of this world, exacly what I wanted, how to cure and get the best from the cannabis growed with love.

I will try with Kali China, i think in 4 days or so will start the cob process.

Im reading all thread but english is not my native language, so Im going a bit slow. Please, if somebody can answer the fears I have to cob the cannabis, I should be very thank you and happy.

Question 1)
I buy from internet corn husk, it's dry, should I put in water to make more manageable the corn husk before put weed inside?
Question 2)

What do you recommend, let dry Kali China after harvest 1-2-3 days or inmediatly after harvest put in corn husk?
Question 3)
Do you know some video to see the process of cob?
Question 4)
After the sweat process, when fermention stage, should I remove the corn husk used in sweat process or I have to dry the cob and then ferment?

Thanks to all, much love.

ankhori

Oh another question, some buds of Kali China have seeds because pollination with Punto Rojo from Cannabiogen, still can be cob?

Thanks

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm so happy I found this thread, amazing. Thanks all cannabis community to share this usefull information, special Tangwena. <3

Just out of this world, exacly what I wanted, how to cure and get the best from the cannabis growed with love.

I will try with Kali China, i think in 4 days or so will start the cob process.

Im reading all thread but english is not my native language, so Im going a bit slow. Please, if somebody can answer the fears I have to cob the cannabis, I should be very thank you and happy.

Question 1)
I buy from internet corn husk, it's dry, should I put in water to make more manageable the corn husk before put weed inside?
Question 2)

What do you recommend, let dry Kali China after harvest 1-2-3 days or inmediatly after harvest put in corn husk?
Question 3)
Do you know some video to see the process of cob?
Question 4)
After the sweat process, when fermention stage, should I remove the corn husk used in sweat process or I have to dry the cob and then ferment?

Thanks to all, much love.
Hi there my friend dont worry all is safe I will answer your questions.

1 The corn husks can be used dry or you can wet them to make them easier to fold but dry is ok.

2 Let the buds dry for 2 to 3 days

3 There are a few videos on the internet just google Malawi cob making or Tangwenas Malawi cobs you will find a few.
I have seen some really good ones but I forget the names.

4 Take out any seeds you need for growing because the sweating can make 50% of the seeds no good but for cob making seeds dont matter its ok to have them in the cob.

If you have any questions just ask my friend I am here to help.

ankhori

Oh my god, thanks for concrete and fast answer the questions. Really happy to walk this new way of cure, thanks for teach me and introduce me in this new world to get the best high.

Much love to you, thanks again

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have an original haze that's taking over the vwhole 3x3 tent. Looks like I'll have plenty to try a few cobs.

Tangwena

Veteran
picture.php
I have an original haze that's taking over the vwhole 3x3 tent. Looks like I'll have plenty to try a few cobs.
Nice plant to cob get it right and you can fly.
I had some 4 month old Mulanje cob that I harvested end of May it tastes fruity with a strong pepper and herbs after taste when chewed.
The high is almost instant very clear and hits like two lines of Peruvian flake ha ha then you start tripping ha ha.
Just like the fabled chapter 5 Malawi cobs I am happy as pig in shit ha ha.
OH and just when you think it couldn't get any better it fades to nothing clean come down just beautiful in every way.
I am over the moon to be able to make these cobs with a high as good as I remember the best Malawi being.
This cure is made for strong sativas.

ankhori

Tangwena looks delicious that cob buds you put in last pictures, Im reading all the thread from start and sorry to maked the questions, all questions i made to you was answered in the thread.

Tangwena I'm happy to announce probably will harvest the first Kali China in 2 days, is matuing fast. I'm preparing all what I need, yogurt maker, sushi roll, corn husk,...

I will dry cure and jar like classical way and cob, from the same plant, to compare what kind of cure feels better to me. Will post updates.

Wish me luck and send good energy.
Love to all <3

ankhori

Tangwena my friend, in the post:

I am going up to crazy tunes only those who have chewed a good cob can understand. But the Mulanji I chewed half an hour ago is making typing hard, but I have much to say, just not now ha ha
This shit is laughing grass Malawi for sure..
Any way I had to post these buds I took for my pleasure to be kept in my weekly jar.
These were from 2oz loosely cobbed buds and smell very aromatic, the high is more trippy and energetic spaced out kinda high.
You become someone else, oh wait I am talking about this high ha ha.
Getting ahead of myself here.
Both of these cobs are very different high one being like coke and acid the other being like MDMA and acid.

That will do I have a million and one things to do. I dont think any of them are going to get done ha ha But I must at least try and make an effort.
The first is the Thai pheno the second is the Malawi pheno Golden Tiger.

View Image View Image

You said both cobs have very different high, like coke and acid and MDMA and acid.

It is possible to get MDMA-acid like effects with Kali China? If so, what is the best time to sweat (24h) and ferment (1 week) and age (3 month) or there are another better combination of this parameters?

From the web of Ace Seeds, here: https://www.aceseeds.org/en/strains/feminized/kalichinafem.html they say Kali China has this effects and bouquet:

Bouquet: Mango juice, sweet cream, incense, hash, grill meat and oriental spices.
High Powerful, psychedelic and sensorial effect of SE asian sativa, with a relaxed, introspective and meditative development.

So Kali China can be psychedelic, what are the best times to sweat and ferment and cure?

Thanks again

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena my friend, in the post:

You said both cobs have very different high, like coke and acid and MDMA and acid.

It is possible to get MDMA-acid like effects with Kali China? If so, what is the best time to sweat (24h) and ferment (1 week) and age (3 month) or there are another better combination of this parameters?

From the web of Ace Seeds, here: https://www.aceseeds.org/en/strains/feminized/kalichinafem.html they say Kali China has this effects and bouquet:

Bouquet: Mango juice, sweet cream, incense, hash, grill meat and oriental spices.
High Powerful, psychedelic and sensorial effect of SE asian sativa, with a relaxed, introspective and meditative development.

So Kali China can be psychedelic, what are the best times to sweat and ferment and cure?

Thanks again
HI my friend I have never tried KaliChina so I cant comment on the high.
I try to not use anything too strong with Indica or hash type plants in the mix but that is just my taste.
Others like the more relaxed effects. I like jet fuel type highs the more trippy and energetic the better for my taste.

I would use those beautiful corn husks dry as they look perfect.
2 to 3 days drying the buds then wrap them up in the husk to sweat for at least 12 hours in the yogurt maker.
If the buds are small 2 days drying is enough but for big fat buds 3 days.
Please post pictures if you can it makes it easier to guide you.
The Mulanje cob in the picture above is too strong to use every day I have so much energy and focus I just keep moving all day all the time feeling tripped out on another planet its crystal clear no feeling tired or lazy.

ankhori

Thanks so much for the fast answer!!!! Will post pictures of all the process, and will sweat some buds for 12 hours and others 18 and others 24h and will comment the changes!!

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopin (Aces)

Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopin (Aces)

These cobs were made from the large airy cola buds and were very aromatic.
Buds dried for 2 days then vacuumed sweated for 6 hours on one nothing on the other.
I left these for 3 months without weekly opening and touch drying.
White crystal bloom formed very quickly as I dried them in food dehydrator.
After drying I broke open the cobs and found a very smokeable and chewable aromatic core just tripping out on some right now and still going up ha ha.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

ankhori

Wooooho cannabis cob community!! I'm cobbing for first time, one with Canary Bud and other without. I will let one 12h of sweat and the other 24h, to see what is better for Kali china. Still i have to harvest two plants more, so more cobbing will income in next days or weeks.

Thanks to all of you special to Tangwena!!!

:yay::kissass::kiss:
:trampoline:

See you all!!

Latest posts

Latest posts