What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

gholladay

That is why I said generally. Automotive and gases are generally using sae in brass and hydraulics generally use jic in steel. There are sae in steel and jic in brass, but is far less common.

Wearing out or leaking from flared fittings with the dual seat are 99 percent of the time from either over tightening (more than hand tight and a quarter turn) or from using a sealant on the flare. If it has a seal, flare or icing do not use tape.
OM,

I agree with you and I understand what you were getting at. I will be using 37 degree JIC fittings with dual seat ss hose fittings (in the 1/2" (8) size). I will head your advice about not over tightening.

GH

Sunfire

Veteran
Sunfire please leave the guy alone. I did not see anything wrong with what he said.

Oregonmedicine welcome and thank you. It appears from how you have worded a few comments that you have some experience with this stuff.

Lol I didn't know I was harassing him, sorry.

The point is I'm trying to share my experience with dual seat cones. I followed the proper torque specs and still had leaks.

I also wanted to point out that ss sae 45 fittings are easily acquired and instalation parts supply has them half the price as anywhere else, same as their ss ball valves.

It's a also important to know that if you ordering from a tractor supply company that doesn't guarantee they are jic 37, they could are so be jis 30.

Those were my points, I skipped stating the point though ad went straight to evidence and explanation as I feel those important for a statement to carry validity.

No offense was meant to be given nor was any taken.

oregonmedicine

Had a long reply but phone died so I'll shorten for repost.

First thanks for the welcome. I have a couple decades experience with hoses, fittings, etc and have helped dozens locally with butane and co2 extraction assemblies an adapters. One of the guys suggested I join up here in case I could help with any basic info. I am on a few pages and groups and have been learning while lurking this site as well.

In my experience most of the flares seen in the automotive realm and with propane/butane are brass and sae. Some can be jic, inverted flare, or another common flare AN. Virtually all higher pressure flares (between sae and jic) are jic. This is coming from the hydraulic world. Granted there are jis, komatsu flares and older 40 degree flares, but those are not relevant to the Teflon hoses and fittings.

Brass is by far the exception to the norm in hydraulics. If your tractor has the hydraulics plumbed with brass I would question it.

The ptfe ss hoses do have the option for brass or stainless ends. This is again the exception and not the norm. Usually the hoses are used on high moisture applications so the common choices are to prevent rusting. There are steel options available, but usually in a factory crimped end or in a reusable style.

I have sold over a million of the dual seat I'd estimate and have never heard of common issues with the seals leaking when correctly used as I described. Failures could occur from mixing metals, but that's rare to when tightened correctly without sealant. The only common failure of the seal would be from too high of pressure (10k+ psi), extreme vibration and pulsating or incorrect application/tightening.

Sae is the society of automotive engineers and jic is the joint industrial conference, so that might lend an idea of which flare is more common to which industry.

Again thanks for the welcome. Some things can be preference, but I'll help with any misinformation or questions if I can.

oregonmedicine

Absolutely, when ordering be clear on whether you want jic, sae or what ever. A decent company should let you know the options. If you ask for jic, you shouldn't worry about getting jis or komatsu unless they mention that it's uncommon and a metric flare.

oregonmedicine

Grateful I buy from Smith cooper directly. I have great luck with the ss 150# fittings, tri clover fittings and valves/sight glasses, etc. I have yet to try their instrumentation fittings but would imagine they would be a quality import. Tylok would be my first choice (aside from swagelok) and I sell all three brands and have had zero issues with tylok or swagelok. Both are top quality. If you contact smith cooper they should be able to give you a dealer.

Sunfire

Veteran
Lmao I hate when the phone dies during a long post. Or you have been typing so long you have to sign back in when you click send an lose your post!

To be honest most of the connections are quick connect and appear to To be brass. It's only a 49hp with a 1/2 yard bucket, 1 ton lifting capacity. It's like a large garden tractor. I imagine once you exceed 100hp and get into turboflow pumps steel would be better but that's off topic.

Discount hydraulics mostly has carbon steel fittings for their hoses. There are very few options for ss, sad. The carbon seems fine but when you pressure test with soapy water, wipe It off immediately.

Yeah the Issue may be cs on brass. I only had to use 2 conical seals out off all the connections.

I wasn't trying to be already dick, welcome to icmag. I was went back and read my posts and realized I sounded like memed lmao! Sorry, was just trying to keep things straight as i screwed up alot is on the beginning, especially when I discovered I ordered jis 30 and didn't even know that existed.

Sunfire

Veteran
Get your posts up to 50 so you can pm. I'm actually done with cls I want to sell the system.

I'll share all my knowledge and experience with you but it's best through pm as to not hijack other people's threads. I'm definetley an amateur though.

Old Gold

I'm shopping some new instrumentation valves, and given availability, I'd like to go with Swagelpk or Parker valves. But, I'm always open to affordable, quality alternatives as you've all mentioned previously.

I'm looking into the HAM-LET H700 series, and they claim to have working pressures of 2000 PSI, and have been tested with N2 stream at 80 and 1000 PSI. Seat is modified PTFE (PTFE+PFA), seals are PTFE.
The only thing that scares me about these is their stupidly cheap availability online. I've seen 1/4" valves as low as $9.99....are these recalled items? They do appear to be HAM-LET brand. I've also seem them in the $70-140 range. Specs and models are the same, and they ship from within the US, not China.

Random question: are there any other acceptable seat/seal flourocarbons? It seems PFA is more affordable as well as resistant to cold-flow than PTFE, having greater tensile strength.

Main point: I'm looking for instrumentation valves with compression fittings, suitable for temperatures as low as -65°F. I hardly see pressures over 20-25 PSI, but I imagine a minimum 2000 PSI working-pressure rating is ideal. Currently looking at about $100-150/piece for Parker and Swage.

HG23

I was going to put some 1/2" Swagelok ball valves (43GS8) on the recovery side of my system, but when I received them I was disappointed to see that they have the same bore size as the 1/4". Attached is a pic of a 1/4"(43GS4) next to a 1/2" (43GS8). I also have some 3/8" and they have the same bore size. Has anyone else noticed this? I am familiar with fully ported vs reduced or standard bore valves but I thought the 1/2" valve would still be 3/8" bore size, which I could live with.

I am making the upgrade to reduce threaded components in my system but now I'm thinking that putting two of these between my pump outlet and storage tank will hamper the flow too much. I'm currently using the Dixon knockoffs that are made in China. What do you guys think?

valves.jpg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to put some 1/2" Swagelok ball valves (43GS8) on the recovery side of my system, but when I received them I was disappointed to see that they have the same bore size as the 1/4". Attached is a pic of a 1/4"(43GS4) next to a 1/2" (43GS8). I also have some 3/8" and they have the same bore size. Has anyone else noticed this? I am familiar with fully ported vs reduced or standard bore valves but I thought the 1/2" valve would still be 3/8" bore size, which I could live with.

I am making the upgrade to reduce threaded components in my system but now I'm thinking that putting two of these between my pump outlet and storage tank will hamper the flow too much. I'm currently using the Dixon knockoffs that are made in China. What do you guys think?

View attachment 349747

Consider a 3/4" for your recovery side. They are a good valve with about a 60,000 cycle life span.

aSilvrHaze

View attachment 349747
I found ss-45s8 with a Cv of 12 versus the ss-43gs8's 1.4 Cv but the temp rating isn't rated for low temp and seals are PFA, would this valve still work or should I keep searching?