Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Old Stoners Crash Pad > Macgyver Solutions & Attempted Macgyver Solutions

Thread Title Search
Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Macgyver Solutions & Attempted Macgyver Solutions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 PM #1
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Macgyver Solutions & Attempted Macgyver Solutions

My car wouldn't start a few days ago.

Dead battery ? Alternator not supplying the juice ?

As it turned out, it was the connector on the positive terminal.

Being out in the country, and not wanting to go the tow-it-to-a-mechanic route, for a new 'official' battery cable, which I thought was about a $300 move ... well, I did have 2 hose clamps and about 20 feet of beefy single conductor wire.

I cut about 22 pieces, 11 inches long (glad I made them longer than necessary), and started assembling the Attempted Macgyver Solution.

22 pieces was a little too much, didn't use all of them.

And I spent 24 hours re-conditioning the battery when I thought I was charging it, using a POS Black & Decker "smart charger".

I ended up needing a jump-start. The battery was completely drained. I let it run for about 2 hours last night, HOPING that the alternator was still working.

MacGyver Herb: I used what was fresh and cut up, some Skunky first rate flower from a neighbor. Labelled Hindu Kush but more Sativa than most Kush (I think of Kush as an Indica.)

This morning - the Moment of Truth.

IT STARTED !!!

OK, now I have to add one more layer of epoxy (to keep things in place against vibration), and add some duct tape insulation so the exposed 12 volt conductors don't reach out and touch Electrical Ground.

I'm probably not the only ICMag member who had to jury-rig & improvise something.

And live with the possibility that it may not work.

Does anybody else have any pics of their Improv Macgyver type work they'd be willing to share ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171203_123637_+__.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	447450 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171203_112418_+__.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	447451 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171203_111315_+__.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	447452 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171203_174539_+__.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	447453
St. Phatty is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:47 PM #2
toxic hippie

toxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant futuretoxic hippie has a brilliant future
I usually start as mac but end up like murdoc
toxic hippie is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:35 AM #3
Fatboy
enjoy the ride

Fatboy has disabled reputation
I hope you utilized a Swiss army knife doing that. And when you're able please do a proper fix.
Fatboy is offline Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 AM #4
420somewhere
Hi ho here we go

420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute420somewhere has a reputation beyond repute
Cool I remember using ..

I remember using soap to fix a leaking gas tank.

For immediate relief take a piece of bar soap and push it into the leaking hole. The gas will soften the soap and the gas will evaporate plugging the hole.

When you get home cover the patch with some J.P. Weld or liquid steel.

An amazing trick to know.
420somewhere is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:50 AM #5
noyd666
OUTLAWS GREEN ROOMS.

noyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivor
blown welsh plug in old land rover at shack, small stick wrapped in toilet paper, lasted years.
noyd666 is offline Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM #6
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
Once upon a time in a far off place I was on a nearly new Ducati and went for a run with a few others bikers on interesting bikes. It was the first time I had given this bike a good run, and we headed up the coast to some coastal town, for the sea and the ride....

I had checked over the bike before setting out, making sure lights worked and plugs were tight, the brakes stopped it and the motor moved it, this bike was some sort of hybrid sports/muscle bike and getting it up to Punducket was loads of fun, once I realized that the bike, although big and VERY powerful, it was not so heavy, and I could flick it around corners to much delight.

That run up the coast ducking and diving at speed around countless obstacles, vans , trucks, cars, bicycles and trycycles and racing a couple of other keen bikers on V Max's and Harleys with turbo kits got the adrenaline buzz for the day, and when we arrived at some bar exhausted with hot and dirty bikes, a good rest and refreshment was on the cards. The bar also had a car/bike washing place attached to it and one of the workers there asked us if he could wash our bikes, and muggin's here (me) said 'Yeah, just be careful with the paint, oh, and how much?'....'Only 50 pesos Sir, Ok?'...
Fifty pesos is about $1, so to me was a good deal, since the bike was covered in red muddy dirt/spray after catching a touch of precipitation on the way down...

Anyway, to cut a long story short......The bikes got washed, and within an hour or two we turned back for home. About 4 miles out of town with this super bike cranked way up on the rev counter, I felt a distinct and very painful burning sensation around my right lower leg, slowing down I put my hazard lights on, letting two of the other bikers know that I had a problem and we all pulled over.

After a brief assessment it appeared that the bike had been pissing boiling hot oil up my leg because the screw-in oil plug was missing, and I wasn't going anywhere until we could find something to stick in the little oil reservoir hole on top of the crankcase. to stop whatever oil was left in there from coming out, and be able to make it back to where I was staying, quite some miles away. It was my mistake, probably, for not checking over the returned and newly washed bike before setting out for home, maybe the bike washer had nicked the oil plug, or not screwed it tight after washing?

There was a bit of head scratching as we all looked around for something to shove in that oily hole, and all we could see were some trees and sun bleached dry grass. Someone had a swiss army knife and found a twig/branch off this tree with the correct diameter, cut it so it was slightly fluted at one end and jammed it into the hole where the missing oil plug should have been, and that seemed to work. So there I am riding around on some fancy bike with a bit of a tree sticking out of it....but that bit of basic jimmy-rigging, creating an oil plug out of a 'bit of tree'.....got me home.

Last edited by Gypsy Nirvana; 03-05-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Gypsy Nirvana is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 PM #7
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant future
Yep... a workmate hit a gas pipe when digging a trench, first I knew was when he panicked and ran past me.... I ran to the hole looking about frantically, then grabbed a handful of clay soil that had been dug out and rammed it into the hole. Half filled the trench with water to make sure there’s no bubbles.... then off to the van for a calming spliff.

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.

Current: Female seeds blueberry cheesecake-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349369

Current: Female seeds dream berry-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350151

Current: seedsman Somango-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351684

Current: seedsman Jack Herer-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351686
mr.brunch is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 PM #8
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant future
If the vehicle catches on fire the insurance company might not have a MacGyver policy.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM #9
HuffnPufferfish

HuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the roughHuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the roughHuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the roughHuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the roughHuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the roughHuffnPufferfish is a jewel in the rough
on a two stroke groupride with my bike, blasting down the road, BAM, there goes my muffler, it just blew off, snowing rockwoolish material everywhere, stuffed the can full of grass clippings for the ride home, did smoke a bit...

same bike; had chainlink break 1hour from home, found some bits of wire on the side of the road, wired the two parts together and rode home, a bit slower

Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 PM #10
WelderDan

WelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant future
I've jump started a car using a bumper jack. Back when cars had steel bumpers, you could pull the running car up against the bumper of the car needing a jump and cross the positive terminals with a bumper jack.

On older vehicles that didn't have lock steering you could hot wire a car with a piece of wire with a gator clip on either end. Connect one end to the headlight and the other to the positive side of the coil. Disconnect the horn wire and connect it to the starter relay.

Turn on the headlights to make the ignition hot and hit the horn to start. Turn off the headlights to shut the car off. I miss cars that were easy to work on.

You can fix anything with a hose clamp, a coat hanger and a roll of duct tape.

Cherry Bomb x C99

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius
WelderDan is offline Quote