What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin viscosity

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Any other suggestions or ideas to try out regarding how to collect liquidy rosin off of parchment paper?

Go the opposite of what everyone says. If they say freeze it.....You might try putting it in the oven.

Take the parchment and "cup" it so when the rosin heats up and runs, it will all run to one point.

Put it in the oven at anything below 200 - 240F and see if it runs.

If you're smoking it, this might take some taste and terps. If you're going to make it into edibles, you're half way there.

Or, perhaps a hair dryer might work.

I use most of my rosin for edibles and when I out it into the oven to decarb it, it's gets real real runny real real fast.

G

Gr33nSanta

For the folks that are new at it, understand that once you have turned your flowers or hash into rosin, nothing else will happen to it, it is stable, ready to be stored. If you left too much moisture before pressing you basically fucked up.

I keep wanting to try with a desiccant in a small sealed jar and wait for months, otherwise the only other way you could remove moisture from rosin is with a freeze drier or a vaccuum oven and purge it similar to what people do with BHO.

Up until recently I still had some of my early fuckups leftover, old squish from back when I started a year ago. The stuff that was pressed with too much moisture was still impossible to collect even months later.

Picarus

hello all, I press flowers.
Generally the waxier rosin is lower in terpenes and has a higher rate of thc conversion from the acid state. When the viscosity is low and the rosin budders up right next to the plates, it actually is exposed to more heat over a longer period of time. If you ramp up the heat the rosin will expel further from the heat source faster, and thus retain more of the acid state, as well as terpenes.
Also, I disagree with the pressing moist means "you fucked up" logic. You can easily get moisture out of the rosin after the separation. I have found some moisture helps the process described above even more, but it does extract out higher volumes of waxes and lipids with the terpenes.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm new to this and have only used a hair straightening iron hahaha.
What kind of presses are you guys using and how much pressure and heat do you apply ?
Is there a correlation between heat and time pressed, so you could use minimal heat and maximum pressure to avoid too much decarboxylation and degradation ?
I'v also, even at the hair iron stage, witnessed that some plants just have a more runny resin composition. You can even feel that when touching the flowering buds on these plants: Some will make your fingers straight resin sticky, others are more on the almost oily side and leave more of a smeary film on your hands... these are also the ones which are runnier than the straight sticky ones when pressed...

I've had the same issues as OP, except it seems to happen to everything I press.
Using a 10 ton press and plates from Clean Extractions and everything comes out almost too goopy to deal with.

Pressing larf and trim, all of which is BONE dry.
Tried a variety of temps around the general range that people use, and am consistently getting the same results.

Any suggestions?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Just taking a wild guess but are you sure of the temps you're pressing at? Most of the store-bought plates I have seen are way off on temp from what the readout says. Use a thermometer to verify your temps.

Otherwise, it may be strain specific.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chevy,

I use a 3x5 collar mount on a 10t press. 2x4" prepress. Coffee filtre for flower and 40u nylon bags for hashes. 12g flower and 20-30g hash per press.

Flower 84-104C, 6-8t and 120-180s.

Hash 75-95C, 4-8t and 90-180s.

The low numbers are for first press, higher for second, if at all, varying on yield.

That is an interesting observation about resin quality on the flower I had not noted, but thinking on past experience I would agree.

You can lower the variables to increase quality, but yield suffers considerably. I call it creaming. I do not believe much decarb'ing happens, but have nothing to quantify that beyond comparing recommended time for edible oil vs press time.

Green, is this all from the same batch of larf/trim? One cultivar or a mixed bag?

PDX Dopesmoker

I wonder if material in a press might not decarb faster or at lower temperatures than the standard charts for decarbing oil either because its a weird pressure environment inside the press or because of the very high flux of infrared radiation during the pressing.

Picarus

yes temp can effect viscosity, also moisture content. Put it freezer to make easier to scrape off. We also use marble cheese boards, put in freezer they hold the cold longer and you can use the surface to scrape on. a good tool helps also.