What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rocks Minerals & Gem. Stones

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Nice. My home is built smack dab on an old habitation site.
I find axes, mauls, scrapers,mortars,pestles,points and more .
Whenever it rains and my driveway erodes a bit I can go outside and just pick the stuff up.
Whenever I dig a hole I dig stuff up.
The road leading to my home has hgh shoulders that erode with wind and rain. Take a walk and fill my pockets.

I catalog all my finds. Some day I will be gone and whoever ends up with all this stuff will have a reference as to where and when it was found.

Most of the lithics used here are quartzite, felsite, some basalt, a few local jaspers, granite for some of the larger tools and some imported cherts.

picture.php

picture.php

These are my latest finds from the last few months.
picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
As a kid I was fascinated with rockhounding. Just recently my geologist girlfriend has rubbed off on me her passion of rockhounding and rekindled the little kid's desire in my again. :laughing:

A couple of weeks back we were hunting for agates in Utah. Late this past summer my mom was in town and we all went out hunting for Bearite which was fun. This past weekend my girl and I were looking for Amazonite but didn't turn up anything. Here in a couple of weeks we'll be looking for Aquamarines and we're really excited about that. We're trying to figure out something cool to do for this weekend and are kind of drawing a blank. I know Miles mentioned some Chafee county areas which sound cool but does anybody else have any recommendations on cool spots to dig and check out? I'm familiar with many areas of Colorado but not when it comes to digging and rockhounding. It would be fun to incorporate some 4 wheeling into the mix and I have a nice book on that.

5b519229208320f5d45bf4ee72578eab.jpg

k-s-p

Veteran
good pix. love artifacts & knappable stone. would give a leg to go to the Flint River & bring some rock home. workable stuff is hard to find/non-existent around here. allegedly some good "golden-tone" chert, but mum is the word on where to find it...:comfort:

The Flint R you say :biggrin:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Ended up running around trying to find regular and smoky quartz along with amazonite and topaz but only turned up some broken pieces of faceted quartz. Got to drive the truck around on some flexy stuff though which was fun, got a wheel off the ground.

St. Phatty

I was test-firing a new (for me) kiln and put some copper in a stainless cup.

For the run up to 2000+.

It went all VOLCANO on me and I ended up with some tiny little green crystals. The stainless cup was 1/2 eaten away. I think it did make it up to 2000+. :biggrin:

Maybe I should get a thermometer for it :woohoo:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I was test-firing a new (for me) kiln and put some copper in a stainless cup.

For the run up to 2000+.

It went all VOLCANO on me and I ended up with some tiny little green crystals. The stainless cup was 1/2 eaten away. I think it did make it up to 2000+. :biggrin:

Maybe I should get a thermometer for it :woohoo:

Science. Pics or it didn't happen :yes:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Acton, CA Agates..

Acton, CA Agates..

I bought my wife a Pixie Grinder/Polisher for Mother's Day

The small one are Agates we collected in Acton California, a couple of polished stones and some Petrified Wood which I am going to make into a Bolo Tie.

Petrified Wood on a stick for polishing (just ground it to basic shape). It will look awesome when finished and mounted or wire wrapped.

Au what fun

OldPhart

Got Wood?

Got Wood?

This is a nice piece of wood that my father had, no idea where it came from, but he cut some slices off of it.
picture.php

picture.php

Floridian

Veteran
Capt. Ahab you need to get a metal detector or let me loose on that property,sounds like a treasure hunters dream.St. Phatty you need a thermostat for that hellish box of yours a thermometer is just going to confirm what you already know,It's a small slice of hell on earth!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I thought I had big wood..

I thought I had big wood..

This is a nice piece of wood that my father had, no idea where it came from, but he cut some slices off of it.
View Image

View Image

Then I went to a guys house moving out of state and didn't want to take them with him. His children didn't want them either.

We picked up about a hundred pounds of Petrified Wood for $1.00 a pound.

Most it is 8 inch rounds an inch thick. These will probably go to some other Rockchipper when we die.

My wife is a Rockchipper and we have various rocks, crystals and mining equipment everywhere.

I'm a gold miner, but I know all of the rockhounds in our area. Last week was the Gem & Mineral Show in Ventura. Big Show.

I prefer Gold Rocks :headbange:

Floridian

Veteran
Is most gold found in quartz rocks or is that just something I saw on tv?If so a metal detector in the middle of a bunch of quartz would be great.

igrowone

Veteran
Is most gold found in quartz rocks or is that just something I saw on tv?If so a metal detector in the middle of a bunch of quartz would be great.

it can be found in quartz
it can be found in lots of odd places
the old saying is gold is where you find it
love the thread, i have some stuff i will post when i get a better camera
and some better stones would be nice too(mine that is, i don't have a king's ransom)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Then I went to a guys house moving out of state and didn't want to take them with him. His children didn't want them either.

Most it is 8 inch rounds an inch thick. These will probably go to some other Rockchipper when we die.

My wife is a Rockchipper and we have various rocks, crystals and mining equipment everywhere.

I'm a gold miner, but I know all of the rockhounds in our area. Last week was the Gem & Mineral Show in Ventura. Big Show.

petrified wood makes some really cool indian style arrow/spear points if knapped by someone good.:woohoo:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
It's a good place to start looking..

It's a good place to start looking..

The old miners looked for quartz outcroppings as gold was often form right next to it when the earth was formed. Gold in quartz is very valuable. It is beautiful in jewelry.

A hard rock mine in Alleghany, California the 16 to 1 mine specializes in Gold in Quartz. They use metal detectors in the mine to locate it. It used to be a regular hard rock mine which pulled ore for processing. Today Quartz in Gold is worth more than gold itself. The mine is 12? miles down a dirt road from Downieville where I used to dredge before California banned Dredging. (Lots of gold up there)

I believe it is one of the only commercial active hard rock mines in California. I bought my wife a large pendant from them shaped like the state of California for about $2k. I also have a big fucking ring 1 1/2 ounce, made of 16 to 1 gold with gold quartz panels, about $5k.

Gold is where you find it, often near quartz outcroppings.

If you see quartz metal detector near it and downhill from it.

Au what fun :party: check my albums for mining stuff

OldPhart

I'm not much of a rockhound, but my father was. I just use this big hunk of petrified wood as a door stop, and kind of a memento. I know I have drug this hunk of rock all over the place, I have no idea how many years my father had it, but it was around from as early as I can remember.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
i see this thread has been rocking lol
nice to see some rock hounds out there.
im going to try & take a few more pic of some more stones i picked up her & there.
NICE LOOKING GEMS GUYS
keep those pic comming

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Mortar and pestle. They were not together but I found on them on the same site.
The knobbed bowl off to the side isnt authentic. I made it out of a chunk of soapstone I found.
picture.php