What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

V-SCROG Flavor?

Reaspberry Rip

Question on Flavor after changing over from horizontal growing.

Started really V-Scrog about a year ago. Fiunalized the op about 6 mos. ago. Somewhere along the line my old familiar strains lost a ton of flavor & smell in the finished product.

During the process I've taken to some rather heavy trimming / training along with nute changes.

Really noticed a definate change an d went back to more organic nutes & medium.

Through all this.. the only constant has been the cure process. That has not changed.

Oddly,, fairly recently I sexed out a couple plants. Topping and flowering for sex I let a couple females grow out (smaller versions). One was V-scrogged (screened / trained) and the other basically just grown "straight-up" and moderately side-lighted because of size. The "straight up" had the (way) better flavor I'm looking for... The other.. flat as a dead fart (very little flavor). Unfortunately it means little since they were different strains / phenos. But..... ??

I'm getting considerably more quantity from the V-SCROG... but the quality (IMHO) has gone to crap. I'm totally confused about this sinve presently I'
ve reverted back all to when It was good except for the training and Vert. screens.

Anyone else had issues when comparing Vert to Horiz with their known strains? Is this common? What the heck is going on??

All input appreciated... (Cause I need help).

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
are you maintaining similar canopy distances?

i've definitely vaporized terps and melted trichs when big buds grow too close to the bulb in late flower.

i found having an IR thermometer handy helped to spot check canopy temps. moving away even a couple inches can drop the surface temp dramatically.

that said, i've grown some insanely loud herb in some very tight vert closets over the years, so it's def possible!

good luck grower!

Miraculous Meds

I think what ur experiencing is a common prob. I believe it comes down to our canopy is a higher temp when running vert. So do a better job of measuring temp at canopy and adjusting by increasing the canopy distance or reducing the temp thru air flow or ac. When u get close enough i believe that not only temp comes into play but light intensity. Ive found more blandness in aroma from the colas closest to the bulbs. But just like with a horizontal scrog the buds just under the main canopy carry the most terpenes cause they haven't been reduced from the heat.

Im hashing over the idea of a interior screen to keep the colas from entering the hot spot.

Reaspberry Rip

Thanks.. conformation to my concerns.

Growing on a lazt suzan,, I'm maintaining a minimum of 14" from bulb running 2 layers on a screen. Digital probes within the circle says 84F hi,,68 low.Humidity is a bit low @ 45 - 50%. I don't consider that "perfect"... but not bad either.

The other thing I've considered is that Vertical may be pushing the plant too hard. All them extra bud sites that,,, may be too much strain to produce enough trepins to cover the added bud. May be a root to bud ratio thing or something(?).

Miraculous Meds

Thanks.. conformation to my concerns.

Growing on a lazt suzan,, I'm maintaining a minimum of 14" from bulb running 2 layers on a screen. Digital probes within the circle says 84F hi,,68 low.Humidity is a bit low @ 45 - 50%. I don't consider that "perfect"... but not bad either.

The other thing I've considered is that Vertical may be pushing the plant too hard. All them extra bud sites that,,, may be too much strain to produce enough trepins to cover the added bud. May be a root to bud ratio thing or something(?).

Light intensity might be the biggest culprit. I need to do some work with my cheap little light meter and see if I can learn anything from distances and intensity measurements vs the quality of the aroma. Idk where u like to go as far as harvest time, but ive been pushing it toward the end of the harvest window lately, and I think that might definitely add into the terpene loss ive experienced too.

In djm's thread in coco forums, we have discussed the high temp/rh rooms potentially causing lower aromas and stickiness of buds. A few of the guys are experimenting with lowering temps and rh the last few weeks to see if it helps.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I run my rooms in the low eighties in the day with 60 plus RH. I have no complaints about smell. You better jar it when you leave with it cause everyone will know if not.

I believe that lower RH with high temps will burn off the smell. Distance to the light will also hurt if your plant gets to hot. A fan under the light blowing up on low drops the temp near the light. be caregul not to push the air to fast with the fan or your room will get real hot.