What's new

Coco yellowing (h3ad formula)

t.weezy

Hello all and thank you for checking out this post. Currently in the first week of flower of my 1000w 4x4 in a 4x8 tent scrog, and have been having an odd yellowing and weird growing tips since the last couple weeks in veg. Strains are White Widow Max and Sour Grape Kush in 6gal coco from the local hydro that wasn't flushed by me but guy at the shop said it was pretty clean stuff that was local.

Feeding as per the H3ad Formula.
6mL/g Micro and 9mL/g Bloom
Tap water PH'd @ 5.76 ppm 67
After nute mix water tests @ 5.7-6.0 (tap drifts) ppm 700's
Fed once with a half a tsp of epsom about a week ago and just upped feeding to 7mL and 10mL today thinking it was possible underfeeding.

It hasn't really progressed but more or less stays the same lime green color with intervains yellow. Bottom half of plants are more of the green you would typically see with some stems being purple/green. Checked run off later today because I don't know what else to do and water came out 6.0 and ppms were 1200 which seems high considering what goes in. Could it be salt buildup from not flushing the coco properly? Now I am thinking of going down with 1/2 strength and flushing till ppm of the runoff is lower. What do you think? :tiphat:

t.weezy

Flush with cal/mag and use it until it clears up.

Alright. I read through that huge thread and saw some people going 6/9 and it was fine, then toward the end there were some others supplementing with calmag. Thanks for confirming. Its been driving me nuts, I really don't wanna lockout later using it in flowering so whats the best dosage? 1-2ml/g?

Dready_jake

Yes, always check runoff at least once in a while, when I first started experimenting with coco I had a runoff of over 3000ppms! 20%runoff is actually a huge deal lol. 6 gal seems like a lot for coco that whole canopy could be in a 6gal. With room for more roots.
do they get dry between waterings?
I'd say do a flush followed with nutes till PPM's match what is being poured in.

t.weezy

Yes, always check runoff at least once in a while, when I first started experimenting with coco I had a runoff of over 3000ppms! 20%runoff is actually a huge deal lol. 6 gal seems like a lot for coco that whole canopy could be in a 6gal. With room for more roots.
do they get dry between waterings?
I'd say do a flush followed with nutes till PPM's match what is being poured in.

Thanks dread, Went with with bigger pots for potentially bigger buds but it is kinda of a lot. Eventually I will get this whole tent filled and be pulling some decent yeilds. I keep these girls moist at all times and handwater everyday 6/9 like most do. Heading to store for some calmag in a few and gonna run quite a bit of water through.

Dready_jake

The daily watering is kinda a misinfo about coco. They exclude details. Daily watering is great in coco, AFTER the roots almost fill the pot. You have to let it dry out in between waterings til it gets light daily and REQUIRES watering. Daily watering from the get go causes root rot and availability issues as there are permanent wet spots roots don't reach. Too much moisture can hinder root development as much as under watering and in coco less root space typically means more buds when trying to water 4 times a day. But you can't just water 4 times a day you gotta work up to it

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
6gal coco from the local hydro that wasn't flushed by me but guy at the shop said it was pretty clean stuff that was local.

You were screwed from the get go and you didn't help matters by not doing enough reading to know you don't use 6 gal pots of coco, 2-3 gal tops is best. So Bozo the Clown at the hydro shop flushed your local coco for you. Did he then charge the stuff with a lot of cal mag and weak nutes? So now you have to get the cation levels in balance and hope for the best. 7/10 is crazy, it's your cal mag that is whack, not the base nutes. You can't have a good run without controlling dozens of factors. Starting out with the right amount of good coco that is properly flushed and charged is step one.:tiphat:

t.weezy

You were screwed from the get go and you didn't help matters by not doing enough reading to know you don't use 6 gal pots of coco, 2-3 gal tops is best. So Bozo the Clown at the hydro shop flushed your local coco for you. Did he then charge the stuff with a lot of cal mag and weak nutes? So now you have to get the cation levels in balance and hope for the best. 7/10 is crazy, it's your cal mag that is whack, not the base nutes. You can't have a good run without controlling dozens of factors. Starting out with the right amount of good coco that is properly flushed and charged is step one.:tiphat:
Appreciate the opinion but there are plenty of peope who do like to run bigger pots in coco. You dont HAVE to run big or large pots. I vegged these for 8 weeks and running trees in a 4x8. Probably will attempt more sizes as my experience grows. Last grow ran smaller pots and wasnt impressed. Also bozo the clown didnt say he personally flushed it, the manufacturers "apparently" did. My ladies are not long gone dead and my ppms arent extremely high so I do believe this is fixable no problems. 7/10 isnt that crazy either considering that baseline is 6/9 and me adding 1ml brings up my levels up just barely. Thanks for the words of advice. Will post some update pics in the next couple days hopefully with lush green. :biggrin: thanks all.

t.weezy

The daily watering is kinda a misinfo about coco. They exclude details. Daily watering is great in coco, AFTER the roots almost fill the pot. You have to let it dry out in between waterings til it gets light daily and REQUIRES watering. Daily watering from the get go causes root rot and availability issues as there are permanent wet spots roots don't reach. Too much moisture can hinder root development as much as under watering and in coco less root space typically means more buds when trying to water 4 times a day. But you can't just water 4 times a day you gotta work up to it

Im watering with little to no runoff so I don't think im anywhere near over watering or root rot. They arent sopping wet. I water with about a gallon to a half gallon everyday depending on how dry the top inch is. They have filled these pots. :tiphat:

Dready_jake

"You dont HAVE to run big or large pots" we know.
We were actually saying the opposite that you need smaller pots. And the small pot to big treee method ONLY works when trying to water multiple times a day.

The only differences in the pot size is the amount of times you have to water when considering plants of the same size. But there is a way to big in coco.
Its all about gas exchange. If you get the roots to where they drink most of the water you give them before the next watering in 3 hours, then you'll have tremendous gas exchange and plenty of moisture for optimal growth. When going to big and watering like once a week, The O² gets depleted really quickly and it has pretty much stagnant water chilling.
Watering when they NEED it and getting to a daily watering promotes that extreme gas exchange and the higher yields you see.

And runoff is important in coco unless the roots are filling the pot and you are watering to keep them wet. The top inch isn't a good indicator for me only wieght is. Plant to pot size is tricky to get at first but is extremely important in coco

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
have you had successful crops in that tent before? what brand of tent is it? looks somewhat similar to an offgassing issue I had recently with a tent I got for dirt cheap on amazon...6/9 has always produced healthy plants for all my friends, it's the recipe I start em all out on because it's so fail safe...I would eliminate nutes as a possibility personally.

how often are you watering? are you allowing the coco to somewhat dry out at all in those big pots?

I'm leaning offgassing, but may also be an issue of overwatering in that large of a pot...the few times that I ran plants in 7gal pots of coco they were like 14 oz plants and I only ran 1.5 plants per light fwiw...although I generally like to have at least 16gallons of medium under each light

t.weezy

have you had successful crops in that tent before? what brand of tent is it? looks somewhat similar to an offgassing issue I had recently with a tent I got for dirt cheap on amazon...6/9 has always produced healthy plants for all my friends, it's the recipe I start em all out on because it's so fail safe...I would eliminate nutes as a possibility personally.

how often are you watering? are you allowing the coco to somewhat dry out at all in those big pots?

I'm leaning offgassing, but may also be an issue of overwatering in that large of a pot...the few times that I ran plants in 7gal pots of coco they were like 14 oz plants and I only ran 1.5 plants per light fwiw...although I generally like to have at least 16gallons of medium under each light

Tent is a lighthouse hydro. First go around with this exact tent but I have another from them that has had no problems. They're drinking before they get another water. I keep it moist not wet, i water 1-2 times a day depending on dryness level about 10-20% runoff. Yesterday they were flushed and fed with 3ml of revive and half str nutes. Def thought it could be offgassing but I havent seen troubles with this brand so idk. Will throw up some new pics later tonight/tomorrow.