What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many plants can 400w grow?

vostok

Veteran
I need to know. Thanks

this is such a noob question you will get many varied answers for just as many reasons.
aim for 9x 3 us gallon (12 liter) pots under 1x 400 watt mh/hps light
vegging for 1 month, budding for 2 months, aiming to have all 9 pots at 3 feet (1 meter)tall in 3 months, use quality potting mix, along with 25% perlite to aid drainage and root compaction, teas or nute supplements can be added come week 3, just don't over do it,
hang light a minimum 12 inches from plant tips once the plants are established

good luck

Dready_jake

Between 1 and 50

Single girl scrogged out...or 7 rows of 8 in a sog

Essentially the smart-assed answer I was about to leave. Lol.
But vos the boss nailed it, no wrong way to do it.
For simplicity and yield veg one plant for like two months and flower that out from there. Shiykd get your feet wet

symbiote420

Veteran
A 400 won't penetrate too deep so growing trees is a no no, whether it's one plant or twenty try to keep it/em under 3' max and the canopy nice and even.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I need to know. Thanks

It depends on how you approach it & on other variables as well, like vertical space & how well the walls reflect light back to the plants. In a 3x3 tent or closet you'll get better results than in a more open area where light gets away easier. At 9 sq.ft, you're running 45w/sq.ft. towards the low end of the light intensity required, so you want to make the most of it. Low overhead complicates your choices from there. I've never done it, but some people would run 16 plants or so 12/12 from seed or with very short veg time because they won't get very big. Others would pinch & weave one or a few plants into a scrog, vegetate as long as it takes to fill the canopy.

Given 6 feet from floor to lamp in a tent or closet, an easy way to deal with it the first time around would be to put 4 female plants in 3 gal pots, vegetate until they're 12-15" tall, switch to 12/12. Trim away the lowest branches. Few strains will hit the lights, many will stretch to 3' or so & you'll get a nice yield of maybe half a pound or so, depending.

sdd420

Veteran
this is such a noob question you will get many varied answers for just as many reasons.
aim for 9x 3 us gallon (12 liter) pots under 1x 400 watt mh/hps light
vegging for 1 month, budding for 2 months, aiming to have all 9 pots at 3 feet (1 meter)tall in 3 months, use quality potting mix, along with 25% perlite to aid drainage and root compaction, teas or nute supplements can be added come week 3, just don't over do it,
hang light a minimum 12 inches from plant tips once the plants are established

good luck

:yeahthats

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
A 400 won't penetrate too deep so growing trees is a no no, whether it's one plant or twenty try to keep it/em under 3' max and the canopy nice and even.

I found that under a 400 watt lamp there was a vertical zone of about ten-twelve inches with enough illumination for good full buds. Anything below that was larf and not worth the trouble. So there's no point in spending time to grow a tall plant. You can LST a single large plant to cover a broad area, but a tall plant would just be lollipopped so you'd have three feet of stem and ten inches of nice bud up top.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I found that under a 400 watt lamp there was a vertical zone of about ten-twelve inches with enough illumination for good full buds. Anything below that was larf and not worth the trouble. So there's no point in spending time to grow a tall plant. You can LST a single large plant to cover a broad area, but a tall plant would just be lollipopped so you'd have three feet of stem and ten inches of nice bud up top.

Please. These 4 ladies have nice buds a lot more than 10" down from the top-

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/uploads/82182/sept20tent.jpg

vostok

Veteran
My biggest noob mistake was not realizing that the light foot print is rectangular and not square, so many plants were missing out on the light beams, but I still rotated anyways, so it wasn't immediately apparent

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
9 plants (3x3) or 4 bigger ones (2x2) would be best. Use mylar around the plants to reflect the light back in. If you get everything dialed in with a high yielder, you can get more than a half pound with 400 watts. My best yield ever was just over a pound and a half with 2 400W HPS lights.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
6 or 8 plants in 3--5 gallon containers of living soil around a bare bulb 400w hung vertically will do nicely.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
If you are recommending 27-40 gallons of soil for a 400w...wowza! I like em to dry more quickly. 9x1 gal pots, yielding 1.5oz ea. 15z would be a very decent haul I'd reckon. Peace y'all

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I used to rock 400s in parabolics.. 14.5 zips per...3x3 per..as many as fit in your space is the answer.depends on your growing style..one big one trained a while would fit too..i prefer not over 2 gal and pack em in.. little veg time as 400s don't have much penetration anyhow....yeehaw

Dr.King

Veteran
You can grow a lot under 400 watts. I pull over 2 pds per round with clones depending on strains. Right now this one tent which is 5'x5'x7' would pull in close to 4 pds if I where to grow out pure Chemdog. The CD is the tall one up front. Also running a CBD Strain from CBD crew Medi Haze(front right) and the 4 others are all Rare Darkness fem GTH #1's, 6 plants total. Each one is in 3 gallons of pure coco. Currently in week 6 of flowering and go till week 10-11. Enjoy and good luck to everyone growing.

YEniSe3.jpg