What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The plants are growing pretty well. You can really see the differences now between the GTs and the Panama.

FgKXl6p.jpg

NJjh4Gm.jpg

YukonKronic

Hey hush I have a question if I may... I've got a scrog of GT that I just applied to screen and I'm wondering how you tell when to flip? I've got most "holes" in the canopy filled I guess I'm just wondering how long to leave it to grow vertically before flip. Sort of worried if I leave it too long the dominant tips will overgrow the rest and shade too much of the other nugz.

I guess I'm looking for something similar to the scrog you posted earlier :tiphat: I recognize that I haven't mainlined or trained into the screen from start so I'm less likely to get such even growth but I was hoping you might have a pointer or two regarding how much to let the tips "shoot" or if I should look at stem thickness on the shoots or just flip now before it turns into a mess...

I only tried one scrog this big before and it was Zam that went BUCK wild when flipped, each shoot grew into candelabra branching instead of a cola and then it got tangled and crazy. Was actually mostly under control and then aphids moved into the jungle I couldn't reach underneath screen. I don't want another fail. I want the perfects!!

Any advice or comments you have would be appreciated:biggrin:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The idea of a SCROG is to not let them grow vertically until most of the stretch is over. It's hard to guess sometimes, especially with new strains, but ideally you would err on the side of the side of caution with the screen being less than full rather than overgrown. An unruly, overgrown SCROG rarely amounts to much.

So on strains where the stretch lasts a long time, and triples its size, you would flip to flowering earlier on than a plant that barely stretches at all. With my GTs, I'll plan on flipping probably only a few weeks into flowering. But I reserve the right to call audibles as necessary, which is usually the case. Your just have to kind of know how to predict how the plant will end up based on its growth patterns.

YukonKronic

Oops. I better get that dark period from 10 hours to 12 today then. I'm hopeful that I can either cull weak shoots that get overtaken (a bud is a bud as long as the screen is full I can cut overlapping ones out) or train the exuberant ones maybe with a second screen or something more innovative like suspension lines. Thanks a lot for your timely advice, the more I thought about it the more I worried about a repeat of the Zam tangle. That was NOT how a scrog was supposed to go...it still would have been a gargantuan yield if finished but it got too crazy and even barring pests would have required massive lollipopping thinning of branches and probably a 2nd screen.

I'm thinking I'll blast some more fish and maybe add a tiny bit of composted hay/horse manure on top of the mulch then leave the heat at 26 till I see stretch begin at which point I'll drop it to 21 and reduce the light another 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure some of the mains that I directed to outside of scrog will need topping to keep things even... maybe I can try back building as discussed earlier in GT thread.

Thanks again friend its nice to have someone to ask!:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
No problem, man. Here's the link to the grow journal that I posted an image of. Maybe seeing the progression will help you out.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=298613

Yeah basically the idea is to keep tucking the growth tips down under the screen from the very beginning. Then, based on flowering time and genetics, flip to flowering when the screen is appropriately full (again, intuition and best guesses required here) while continuing to tuck until the plant stops stretching. Then, you might have to reposition a few branches manually, for any problematic spacing issues, but otherwise you just let them finish upward from there.

Sometimes the screen will be completely full before the stretch is finished, and you just have to stop tucking and let them grow upward. Hopefully the buds won't shade each other out too much.

Other sometimes, the stretch isn't enough on certain genetics to make SCROG the best option, but it can still be done with long veg times and actually allowing the growth tips to grow upward and create the framework for colas prior to flipping, and after filling the screen. I prefer to do LST or SOG with these types of strains.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The plants from the mystery seeds are very uniform. Other than the four that I removed that looked different, these are almost identical. I'm now really curious about them, and I think I'll flower them out in here. That means the Panama will be delayed but that's fine. The GTs are center stage in this journal anyway.

If I didn't know any better I would think I'm looking at clones of each other.

DpiLjSb.jpg

I've created a journal for these plants. If interested, go here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356770

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
For small, personal grows, it's a fantastic method. You'll find situations and circumstances where you can see ahead of time that there might be a better method for that particular grow, but in general, for an average personal headstash garden, e&f is where it's at, and rockwool is just clean and easy.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The Ace plants are starting to overgrow each other. It would be nice for one or more to start showing pre-flowers here soon, so I could remove the males. All I know is the GTs want to spread outward instead of grow upward, now that I topped them. The Panama is staying relatively compact.

RF4uaPu.jpg

That one GT that I dubbed the "leaner" is growing quite uniquely, to me. It's making me wonder if it's a Thai pheno. I've never grown any Thai genetics before, so what do I know. It's just, it's such a strange plant. It doesn't seem to like intense light and so it actually grows like a ground cover or something. So bizarre to me. I honestly feel like, if it's a Thai pheno, maybe I should remove it and put it on the back burner for a little while. I could come back to it after working through this other, more common pheno.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Your humility speaks to precisely why I like you. ;) Seriously, you are awesome, and Ace Seeds is too. I just appreciate good, ethical people.

I am currently growing regular seeds. I'm going to use up what I have (6 seeds left each of Panama and GT) and then switch over to feminized only (except for a few handfuls of exceptions, like Lebanese comes to mind-- I really want to experiment with that one!). Ideally I would like to start one seed at a time, and with your feminized offerings that would be feasible. I don't want to do any pheno selecting. I know that all of the phenos contained in your strains are good. So all I care about is having a homogenous garden, regardless of which pheno I am growing at any given moment.

Thank you for the compliments on that SCROG pic. I do like to think that I'm pretty good at training and manipulating plants. I like to think of it as an art form, and I treat it as such. But having an even canopy is one of the best ways to make sure that you maximize yield, which is important in small, indoor gardens.

What I'm most interested in, regarding effects, terpenes, etc, is having a variety, honestly. I also don't particularly want to bother with strains (probably more pure, landrace lines) that don't yield very much. I'm not looking for all high yielders, of course, but strains that are known to be low-yielders are not the best match for me. Other than that, I have no desires for specific flowering times or anything, other than it's not very efficient for me to work with 18+ week flowering seasons. I just want variety in my diet. In terms of my growing style, columnar plants aren't ideal, but they aren't deal breakers either. They just take longer to train through the screen, that's all.

So all of that is to say that I am not that picky. I just would like to deal with varieties that are reasonable yielders, don't flower for half of the year, and have reasonable potency (so that I don't have to smoke an entire joint to get medicated). Other than that, I'm open. I guess it's worth mentioning, too, that I'd rather not have varieties that are really similar to each other. So, if I'm already growing Panama, but there's a cross with Panama that is heavily Panama-leaning, it might not make sense to have both of those. But it would be nice to have a couple of good daytime sativas, a night time insomnia strain or two, and maybe a 50/50 indica/sativa that I could use for recreational, just feel-good purposes.

After reading this post back, before clicking the button, I'm well aware that it sounds like I'm saying "I'm really not all that picky" while going on to list very picky requirements. LOL. Sorry about that. I swear, I'm really not that picky. It's just that all of your strains sound good, so it's hard to choose, and I want someone else to choose for me! :biggrin:

Hi hush,

I also would choose feminized seeds in case you only want want to germinate one seed per strain. In case you want consistent feminized strains, good yielders, with moderate flowering times, strong potency, refined terpenes and a varied garden, then i would recommend you the following ones (excluding the ones you are already growing):

Sativa and sativa dominant strains: Guawi, Tikal, Zamaldelica and even Panama hybrids like Panama x Malawi, Panama x Bangi Haze and Bangi Congo x Panama in case your Panama regular seed is a male or in case you want to explore deeper Panama's potential in hybrids (which is great).

Sativa/indica hybrids: Malawi x PCK, Orient Express x Nepal Jam, and sativa x Kali China hybrids like Zamaldelica x Kali China, Thai Chi or even Congo x Kali China.

Indica strains for night time: Bubba Hash and Bubba Kush x PCK.

Hope it helps! The new seedlings are looking great, what a fast growth in just 3 weeks, i will visit more frequently your thread to make sure i don't miss anything ;)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's a little overgrown in here. None of the plants are showing preflowers yet, so I still don't know what sexes I'm working with yet. I did take cuttings of each plant which are rooting under 12/12 right now, so hopefully I'll figure something out soon. The cuttings are already starting to show roots coming out of the rockwool cubes, so at least there's that.

isJlJbp.jpg

dugzy

Explosive growth! Very nice pile of plants to choose from hush, must have some nice aromas starting up

YukonKronic

Looks like tips are shortening node space and started alternating branching so I'm betting on preflowers in a weekish...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I took a look at the rooting clones today, and that one weird, leaning GT pheno is also weird about where it sends out roots. I've never seen roots come out from the top of a rockwool cube before.

g3k7WcG.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yesss! The lone Panama is showing pistils! :biggrin:

PIhqOU0.jpg

She's a ladeh... Whoa oh whoa oh whoa, she's a ladeh...

YukonKronic

Sweet! She's kinda purty too.... gawrsh fella yer awwwful lucky. I'm super into Panama and crosses; very high on my "wants to has one" list.
I read a post on some jungle cannabis having shallower wider spreading root systems to colonize the detritusphere and utilize the thin humic/fertile layer found on jungle floors more effectively in competition with other voraciously feeding jungle plants... Maybe that's what the surface roots are? I wonder if that plant is going LOVE an ebb/flow table given its such a shallow rooting environ..

Super curious to see how she differs from her sisters and what Dubi has to say on that particular expression of a leaning plant with such strong surface rooting.
He's injured so might be s while but I'm sure he'll probably chime in when he heals up.

YukonKronic

The cut I run now grows some surface roots under a nice mulch but I don't think I've seen em stick out when cloning or without moist cover..

YukonKronic

I'm reluctant to even say it's such a foggy memory but I think I had a very thin leaf but slow and squat (comparatively) pheno that leaned like that way back on my very first run of GT... IF I recall it was very sweet orangey smoke with a very relaxing effect of medium strength.
I remember liking the flavour but being disappointed in the lack of extreme psychoactivity and how calming instead of stimulating it was. In retrospect it was an interesting pheno for anxiety but it was not effective against my flashbacks which was my primary focus at the time.
Been ruminating on that awhile and finally remembered enough to bother saying anything... as I say it was a LOT of weedsmoke ago...