What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Haze x Malawi REG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi BenoitV1984,

As our friend Yukon correctly suggested and considering you only have half meter of height available, it's better you switch your Green Haze x Malawi clones now to flowering photoperiod, they will stretch and branch out enough to full up the horizontal screen nicely without surpassing your height limits.

Good luck with them!

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hi Dubi,

Thanks for chiming in :)

I was thinking of using PK booster compost tea from BioTabs. What I like about it is plants take what they need and you can't over do it. They advise to use it once at week 3, 4 and 5 of flowering. I understand that would be valid for strains which are reacting to change of photoperiod way faster and are already forming bud.

I never grew OT haze hybrids and my only experience with pure sativa is Zamaldelica, but from what I can gather, I don't think there will be any bud forming that soon in flowering. Wouldn't it be then too soon to use compost tea and should I delay such inputs later in flowering? The thing is I can really afford the compost tea and the air pump this month... If I would flip now, week 3 brings us to November 23rd. If I can delay later, then I could flip now.

Would they really become unmanageable with 1-2 more veg weeks?

Maple_Flail

Hi Dubi,

I was thinking of using PK booster compost tea from BioTabs. What I like about it is plants take what they need and you can't over do it. They advise to use it once at week 3, 4 and 5 of flowering. I understand that would be valid for strains which are reacting to change of photoperiod way faster and are already forming bud.

I never grew OT haze hybrids and my only experience with pure sativa is Zamaldelica, but from what I can gather, I don't think there will be any bud forming that soon in flowering. Wouldn't it be then too soon to use compost tea and should I delay such inputs later in flowering? The thing is I can really afford the compost tea and the air pump this month... If I would flip now, week 3 brings us to November 23rd. If I can delay later, then I could flip now.

I would think week 7 through week 11, would be the time range you would give a PK boost to this long flowering...(depending on which way the pheno leans)

but be gentle... its OTH X malawi not a a5 or c5 cross.

I'd start the first dosing at 1/4 - 1/2 strenght to see how the plants react.

wouldn't be a terrible idea to add a bit of sugars to that tea when you brew/bubble it. tea spoon of black strap (the thick thick stuff) or Honey per litre of bubbled Tea (may be easier to warm the water slightly before bubbling to disolve the sugars easier and make the tea easier mixing)

I don't think I'd let them veg much longer, few days more maybe no more than a week... They gunna get BIG..

Ncali

Veteran
Maybe if very Malawi leaning, like obviously so... id consider not putting to much nutes until she calls for it. OTH will punish with herms, bad burns, poor stretched nugs. Might want to wait till round two to put boosters on. With a plant that has such wide genetic variation, youre just guessing at when bud formation is going to start ramping up. So you can only guess when the right time MIGHT be... Maybe after running her again, try boost? Then you will hzve better idea of timings. Might even need to try 2-3 grows, these long sat flowers in waves, many pauses and restarts with new buds.

And you may know, the long flower sativa type isnt like modern indica hybrids, doesn't need pushing or proding for high production. Just patience.

With the old time haze hybrids, yield is never an issue... they get very productive from numerous numerous bud sites and long weeks of flower formation.

Most peoples dont grow out oth hybrids multiple times anyways, haha. Just the very dedicated, crazy, mad few!! Such a dedication of time to dial it in right. But the few that do, wow. AMAZING. So many greeeat sativa growers here at icmag.

Best of luck my man. I vote dont fiddle. Let her show you her potential.

Either way, let us know how it goes for you. Special hybrids to be found in these genes.

Dr.King

Veteran
Very nice choice of strain to grow BenoitV. I would tent to agree with the others. It's already been 3 days since you posted your last update so I'm sure your girls have grown some by now. I know when I grew out pure Green Haze and OTH they went crazy in flowering and took over a lot of my 5 foot by 5 foot by 7 foot tent. I didn't have them in scrogs and only LST'd them. Only grew one of each. I think you will be surprised. Check out my grow albums and look at the Green haze/OTH, that's in my old big tent.

To your question about boosters. I actually tent to agree with you here. I know most organic growers use good organics so they have natural boosters in them with extra NKP. I used quite a lot in mine as well. Not as first like others stated, slowly work your way up. At half way through boy did I up them a lot though. I was blasting her with full strength and at the end with nearly double strength NKP. She fully budded up very nicely and they both produced a lot of cannabis for just lsting them. Green haze I got over 8 Oz or so and OTH I got 7 or so Oz. Btw the picture under my name is just the top of the Green haze top that was twisted like that and weighted nearly two Oz's. Barely any leaf burning I might add at the end. Always double check before dosing again to check to see if they burned any and always added Calmag. Hope this helps and happy growing.

Hi Dubi,

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Lets flip those babies then, 11/13 it is, will switch to 10/14 around Christmas :)

Would you guys advise to top one last time before stretch starts or just let them as they are ? I topped twice until now (main top then all branches once).

orfeas

Veteran
You bet! :biggrin:

:tiphat:orfeas

Hey Ben, this is what I had in mind...
Only vegged for a month, leaning against the walls into 10th week flo now, under an 11/13 regime since flip, they can take all the pruning you give them, even in flowering...

:tiphat:orfeas

Attachments

• P1110435.jpg
    P1110435.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 16

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Nice jungle :)

Vegged 48 days under 100W LED and 5 days under 600W MH, can't wait to see how mine turn out... Actually, when I look back at my Tikal pictures, they were a bit smaller than the GHxMs here and it became a nice little jungle after stretch... And I'm pretty sure Tikal didn't stretch near as close as pure sativa Haze hybrids will...

Geez, this is going to be fun :biggrin:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Fun indeed...

I just finished cutting most of those tops, will let their branches grow vertically. I let some grow a bit more to reach end of tents before topping them. I also cleaned a bit more below the net so hopefully I won't have any shrunk buds.

And we're just started, can't wait to see how those turns out :)

attachment.php

(Noticed a last sucker on that picture, gone as well)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_510136.jpg
    image_510136.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
  • GHxM_S45-2019_02.jpg
    GHxM_S45-2019_02.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 22
  • GHxM_S45-2019_03.jpg
    GHxM_S45-2019_03.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Starting 3rd week today, they are stretching nicely. Still have 35cm before I can't get the lamp any higher, do I have to worry about that? Btw, they are in 7 gallons smartpots and not 5.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GHxM_S47-2019_01.jpg
    GHxM_S47-2019_01.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 25
  • GHxM_S47-2019_02.jpg
    GHxM_S47-2019_02.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • GHxM_S47-2019_03.jpg
    GHxM_S47-2019_03.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22

BenoitV1984

Veteran
They progressed nicely in just a week, flowering is really starting now :woohoo:

I tried some Photoshop post processing (colours balance) to hopefully let them show their true colours.

I hope they're done stretching, I don't really have much space left above the reflector if I want to keep space for the new outake/intake EC fans I'm planning to buy soon (Systemair Vector EC x2 slowed down to 29/18% max). I want silence where I sleep, those RVK's are a pain in the ass for that and I'm sick of earplugs...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GHxM_S48-2019_04.jpg
    GHxM_S48-2019_04.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 23
  • GHxM_S48-2019_03.jpg
    GHxM_S48-2019_03.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 17
  • GHxM_S48-2019_02.jpg
    GHxM_S48-2019_02.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
  • GHxM_S48-2019_01.jpg
    GHxM_S48-2019_01.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 20

StrongTree

Maybe if very Malawi leaning, like obviously so... id consider not putting to much nutes until she calls for it. OTH will punish with herms, bad burns, poor stretched nugs. Might want to wait till round two to put boosters on. With a plant that has such wide genetic variation, youre just guessing at when bud formation is going to start ramping up. So you can only guess when the right time MIGHT be... Maybe after running her again, try boost? Then you will hzve better idea of timings. Might even need to try 2-3 grows, these long sat flowers in waves, many pauses and restarts with new buds.

And you may know, the long flower sativa type isnt like modern indica hybrids, doesn't need pushing or proding for high production. Just patience.

With the old time haze hybrids, yield is never an issue... they get very productive from numerous numerous bud sites and long weeks of flower formation.

Most peoples dont grow out oth hybrids multiple times anyways, haha. Just the very dedicated, crazy, mad few!! Such a dedication of time to dial it in right. But the few that do, wow. AMAZING. So many greeeat sativa growers here at icmag.

Best of luck my man. I vote dont fiddle. Let her show you her potential.

Either way, let us know how it goes for you. Special hybrids to be found in these genes.

Ncali... you just summed it up...sativas are like teachers of patience, knowledge and intuition... less is so often more... 2nd and 3rd runs are where the learning curve leans in our favor and we get a familiar relation to that individual plant... at that point it's not unlike caring for a pet

herbgreen

Veteran
Nice plants

You will need to bend and tie down you may want to start experimenting now

These OTH variants are wicked wild

Looks Great!

Love that shot from above Very Vigorous plants

If you take them horizontal You will get buds straight up from each branch but may want to do it soon while there's room and plant has the easy flex

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I’m not sure there is still room enough for that actually. I was thinking more about a second net above to keep the taller ones straight.

herbgreen

Veteran
I’m not sure there is still room enough for that actually. I was thinking more about a second net above to keep the taller ones straight.

I cant see all that good but sometimes you can just criss cross branches and use some soft ties Tie em right to the screen

Then things flower straight up off the branches from there

maybe next time

Or just bend and LST and keep a level canopy any way you can

It could be maybe only needed one plant of this in a bigger pot and higher screeen to start with

That way you can get the scrog in good early...

Whatever, you got it goin' on now!

Very good powerful plants They will produce bigtime looks like

amazing!:biggrin:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hello there,

I got a second net to somehow control that jungle. I followed Herbgreen advice here above and bended/LST'd them.

I'm thinking of starting that compost tea at 1/4 dose to see how they react. Btw, it's composed of batshit, grapes, bugshit, seaweed, bacterias (NPK 2-5-2). Too soon? Doesn't look like they need food but would those flowers benefits from that tea or is it just useless for such hybrid?

Some picture at week 6:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GHxM_S50-2019_01.jpg
    GHxM_S50-2019_01.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • GHxM_S50-2019_02.jpg
    GHxM_S50-2019_02.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 12
  • GHxM_S50-2019_03.jpg
    GHxM_S50-2019_03.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11
  • GHxM_S50-2019_04.jpg
    GHxM_S50-2019_04.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 15

deepwaterdude

Hello there,

I got a second net to somehow control that jungle. I followed Herbgreen advice here above and bended/LST'd them.

I'm thinking of starting that compost tea at 1/4 dose to see how they react. Btw, it's composed of batshit, grapes, bugshit, seaweed, bacterias (NPK 2-5-2). Too soon? Doesn't look like they need food but would those flowers benefits from that tea or is it just useless for such hybrid?

Wow, very nice, man! She looks super hazey and as if she has enough food for the moment. I don't think I'd throw too many curveballs in such a hazey house;) Dubi would know better than I. I'd shoot him a PM have him take a look.
Great grow! deewp

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I thought about shooting a PM indeed but I don't want to bother him these times of the year if I don't really need his help/input. I figure I'll drop in if he has some free time anyway. I'd rather let him spend time with family, harvesting seeds, R&D'ing or whatever he does these days :)

Maybe I'll experiment myself gently with that tea and see how that turns out. The bottom leaves are going down and yellow already, but then maybe I spaced out watering too much...

When I read this from Oldtimer's Haze description, wouldn't that tea be kinda the same, except for the "now" vs "at transplant" time difference?

There are more information about that compost tea and its composition on biotabs website.

It requires low levels of nutrients, especially of Nitrogen. For outdoor growing, it’s best to mix a good base of organic soil, rich in guano and worm casting, and then place the plants in a sunny place and leave them to grow at their own rhythm, almost without using fertilizers or stimulators.

Last edited:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
IMHO, it doesn’t look like they need a thing atm. Hard to tell with the lights on, but I suspect they are a rich green in normal lighting?

Latest posts

Latest posts