What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How the distance from your light effects your terpene profile.

shaggyballs

Veteran
About 33 min. in you will hear the statement in the title.
I figured it was worth some discussion.

[YOUTUBEIF]PsSwMNOTyqA[/YOUTUBEIF]

I myself have noticed that the the bud closes to the light looks different that a bud in full light lower down on the plant.
I sometime prefer a nice acorn style frosty bud to a huge top cola.
I though it was personal preference, I know people gravitate to their own favorite terpene profile, so results may differ from person to person.
All comments welcome.
:smoke out:

Shag

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
In the 1990's I was involved in outdoor gardening. It was noted at that time the top buds had more 'high' and less 'sedation' than the lower buds.
The effect does not seem as pronounced indoors where the top but is actually closer to the light and gets more energy. Outdoor plants get uniform energy top to bottom due to the distance to the sun.
Having more energy on the top buds diminishes the effect, causing me to believe the difference in profile must rest within the plant itself rather than external factors.

Andyo

Veteran
spectrum

spectrum

spectrum also
Ive had same pheno cuts under mixed MH/hps and just hps and just MH running 3 houses
so much so i had to re check the pheno number tags.
My buyer/sales guy mentioned too.A

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Well for a lil insight the only reason you lose terpenes is because of the high temperatures in the environment like let's say you grow with hid high intensity discharges the heat from the bulb will cause the terpenes to evaporate so maybe by switching to quality light emitting diodes may help restore the loss of terps from the hid setups I will have more to chime in once I harvest under this game changing led

Fleur du Mal

I've noticed the same with HID vs. LED. HID heat can "burn off" the terpenes from top buds if the bulbs are run too close to the tops. LEDs, not having the same heat issues, are less prone to doing that.

My taller buds are not only my biggest, but my best, buds under quality white COB and mid-power strip LEDs.

-b420

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Anybody watch those videos from the makers of king spectrum leds they give a comparison which is where I learned about the temperature being a factor

positivity

Veteran
Ever grow with just red n blue n green leds "the old scientific this is the best standard"..very cool light emitting little heat. Worst buds I ever grew. Couldn't give it away without getting flamed. I used to pop the jars and be like wtf..very celery like.

r+b<r+b+g<(streetlight)hps<wwled<cwwwled<cwwwuvirled<mh<(agro)hps<cmh<mhhps

Thats my dank scale. My last few grows were the closest to a hot source yet and have left me with my best results yet. If the plant is visibly healthy..ain't nothing getting burned off imo

M

metsäkana

i can keep plants 10-20cm from 600w hpscooltube with good airflow and natural cold air coming in i think that max out more lumens than 1000w without cooltube further away and could work even better for terps and plant

positivity

Veteran
details that separate good from better, after the bones are in place. Very similar to what I was thinking for the next revision

Drewsif

This really has to do with monoterps only.. Sesquiterps and triterps are the more useful ones that come from organic soil only. The old school spices, woods,sugars, etc. Monos are the new age novelties that hydro kids try to fake. Berries n whatnot. Most growers don't even know what those terps taste like, yet they still talk about em all day. You cant taste monos in a pipe much, vape or trate only. A bong completely kills monos. The sesquiterps survive the water. Same with hash. Water kills the monos instantly.

People worry about monos when they don't even have sesquits. (hydro growers).. You have to have sesquiterps. Its good medicine. The difference between nausea and no nausea in cancer and aids patients. Sesquiterpenes come from the microbial rhizosphere interactions only. No soil: no micros: no flavor:not medicine. That simple. Too many growers think they can subtract from nature and get a natural product. Nope.

People who smoke hydro actual think blueberry is supposed to smell like it's made from blueberries. Because it's always a fake scent made from bottled blueberry extract, trying to replicate something that reminds you of, but has nothing to do with blueberries. The acetates in Blueberry strains have nothing in common with the fruit nor do they smell like blueberries. These acetates don't smell like blueberries, they smell like weed, that smells like blueberries. That sharp eye watering solvent smell. Not blueberry muffins. Phenols don't produce dull smells. I dont care what Tom Terpene says. Its something completely unrelated giving the blueberry impression, not even terpenes.. Making it soooo easy to spot the fake weed grown with bottled terpenes. No phenols, no acetates, horrible flavor. So tired of the Sweet Berry® Blueberry Dream®, Blueberry Final Flush® bullshit on every shelf. You can smell all 3 at my nearest dispensary. Sensi star my ass. Why would Sensi star and Blue Dream smell the same. Why. Who's buying this shit? (The average consumer, thats who) ..

Legal weed.. The difference between Sensi star that stinks up a parking lot with the funk of weed, and sensi star that's been popped from seed and soaked in blueberry juice like the identical smelling Blue Dream next to it.

I've smoked so much hydro that doesn't have sesquiterps yet claims to have monoterps. They are always fake. Lol.. Come on, this is the desert here.. The bud would be spicy or sugary first and foremost if it had any flavor. But it has zero basic flavor, just a smell of berries. Or citrus. Or molasses. Or bananas, or whatever bullshit snake oil the bud was soaked with. There is no weed that smells like just berries (in the desert). It would at least have sesquiterps too. But nope. See it all the time. Fake terps. Fake weed. Too easy to grow lettuce-grade mj and dump Sweet Berry ® into the roots before chop (fucking disgusting, like smoking a shoe)

Sorry for the rant I just haven't experienced berry terps in years. Only 3rd party additives. Faked cali strains. Terpenez, Terpinator, Sweet, SourDee, Floranectar. These are your dispensary terpenes. Fake shit from a bottle soaked into booboo plants with no flavor. It works like a charm when 99% of the population is in the deluded placebo consumer camp.

Last edited:
==
People who smoke hydro actual think blueberry is supposed to smell like it's made from blueberries. Because it's always a fake scent made from bottled blueberry extract, trying to replicate something that reminds you of, but has nothing to do with blueberries. T=.

oh u never had a blueberry :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts