What's new

Will a plant burn itself?

stealthballer

I am very very anal about my grows and as such am stuck in my ways and mostly not willing to experiment anymore on my grows. However I had a light fall the other day and burn one of my babies and I started to wondering something.
Given a static location for the light would a plant ever grow to the point it would burn itself? I always cull the tall ones and prefer short stocky plants and all I have now are wide growers that I train to be wider. So I never even think about them coming that close to the light. Just curious now and don't wanna find out on my own. Hoping someone else knows.

thanks and good growing

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
yeah you have to keep the tops of the plants a certain distance from the light..

the plants grow upwards.

Budless

The plant doesn't have an idea as to the length of the light from the orgin. These plants grow in nature with the Sun as their only major light source. If you have ever seen a MJ plant that hasn't been harvested for quite some time they tend to resemble large bushy trees and their stretch is pretty amazing too. Because they're such light loving plants they will stetch to reach the light. In nature plants obviously can't ever reach their natural light source, so they don't have any method of stopping themselves from stretching to an artificial light source.

stealthballer

But it would seem the heat alone would encourage them to bush out rather than up.
It would seem a natural mechanism other than thinking would kick in and tell the plant to stop growing that way cause it is killing itself.

all life on earth has some kind of self preservation built into its genes, or so I thought.

Last edited:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
nope they will grow right up into the bulb and smolder themselves on it.

if someone could find a strain that could sense the danger of heat and stop itself from stretching up that'd be amazing. these plants just don't have that mechanism.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
hehe you said anal........

umm... yeah a plant that would stop it self from burning would be great, it would be even better if there was a plant that grew from seed to harvest in 30 days.... now that would be amazing.

D

dre86

Plants simply react to the light by growing towards it. Yes they will burn 'themselves'

chepnut

At some point photoinhibition would kick in at the tops that stops photosynthisis at the very tops but the rest of the plant would keep on going and push the tops further into the light, there for causing the burn. Plants are not sentient, for better or for worse they are reactive. The only plant that I know of that can sense it burning and stop growing might be this.

poster_lsh.jpg

If you think about it plants have taken millions if not billions of years to develop into what they are today. 50+ years of artificial light isnt going to change the way they grow.