What's new

clones won't root

Smokeone1

It's crazy i have a dome and water every other day. However the plants are growing, and look healthy. I check for roots and don't have any suggestions. it's been almost 3 weeks

G

greenmatter

if they look good don't panic, some strains are a pain in the ass. post more.... methods,media, compounds,temps,heat mat or no, etc.

S

snoopytime

Hell yeah dog get a fukkin heat mat man . . hydrofarm one is like $30. I got that shit & plugged it in stuff was sprakkin out like fireworks in around 5 days, off of cuts that were in there for 3 weeks with nuthin. I set mine on 85 degrees . .nice and toasty, make it moist like a missispi swamp in there man lol.

Smokeone1

Regular rooters 100 WATT COMPACT FLURO. Temps only 65 though that may be it? Rapid rooters and a few in regular coco.I was out of rooters but they are doing well thanks. No heat mat, They even smell great and are getting pretty big. Thanks for the help.

G

greenmatter

is your media temp 65 or your air temp? was messing with one of those laser thermometers one day and found out my rapid rooters were 16 degrees colder than the air temps. picked up a heat mat the next day, good investment. 100 watts may be a little hot on the light too, that just an opinion because i don't use the compacts.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
You need to get them to grow roots, not vegetation. Vegetative growth during rooting isn't doing you any favors really.

It almost sounds like the mother plant was fed nutes just before the cuttings were taken? If that is the case then about all you can do is get a heat mat under them and stop watering them for a few days.

I never water cuttings until they have roots. In my experience, watering new clones washes the antibacterial and growth hormones away from the stem. If you have to water before roots have developed; you are way better off dipping the bottom of the cup in water and letting it wick to the top, then let it drip drain again.

I use a vermiculite wick cloning system with a heat pad. Airstone bubbler beneath my clone tubes. No nutes. Heat pad @ about 80-85F. No spray. No hood or cover. Distilled water. Ph 6 - 6.5. Low light, in fact I don't really have a light for my cloning area, it just gets ambient light from the mothers table about 5' away. Roots in 7 days, ALWAYS. Then I give 1/2 strength nutes.
For hard to clone plants I use *Lola*'s method and apply pre-clone KY-gel about 10 days before cutting.
I usually take cuts 4-5 inches, most people consider my clones to be rather large, I might lose one cutting out of 100.

Cannasylum

Try giving the mother plant less nitrogen a week prior to cloning. That is, if the heat mat doesn't work. But, i would Get a heat mat an see if that doesnt work first.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I vote with greenmatter: Too cold, too bright (a 23 watt will cover several thousand clones)

At 65ºF, I had a 100% failure rate. It wasn't till media was warmed to 75º I had any success at all. Replacing powder with gel provided a huge boost but, the trick that took me to 100% success was soaking stems in full strength cloning solution (Hormex, though any IBA, NAA solution will do)

Poke through the Cloner sticky to see what others are doing.

BPJR

I have a link in my signature to a cloning tutorial I put together awhile back. Its only one way to do it but you might find some useful info there.

Good luck and don't give up.

Cheers,
Bobby

someotherguy

Veteran
take a look through that link FreezerBoy posted, in it he's linked all the best threads from all of the most commonly used cloning methods.

personally, i use a passive wick-style in ice-tube-trays filled with vermiculite that usually gives me 90+% success, ...heres a couple pics to illustrate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

anyway, that's just me.

peace, SOG

Stress_test

Veteran
take a look through that link FreezerBoy posted, in it he's linked all the best threads from all of the most commonly used cloning methods.

personally, i use a passive wick-style in ice-tube-trays filled with vermiculite that usually gives me 90+% success, ...heres a couple pics to illustrate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

anyway, that's just me.

peace, SOG

Right on man... That's what I use as well. :good:

cirog

I agree 100% with the ice cube tray for water bottles. I was trying every method till I landed on this one. My biggest problem now is just waiting 12 days before checking them. I get so anxious to plant them sometimes, but have found that if I pull them before 12 days I am only ripping off any hint of a root that may be present. This method is so god damn easy it is great. You do not have to worry about drying out as you can just top off the tub they sit in. You should give it a try. There is a great thread on it somewhere called "New world class cloner at Walmart"

someotherguy

Veteran
I get so anxious to plant them sometimes, but have found that if I pull them before 12 days I am only ripping off any hint of a root that may be present.

make yourself a ram like the one in the pic above so you can push the rooted clones out, ...that way you won't tear the roots, ...and wait the full 14 days before potting up your clones, that last 2 days can really make a difference.

There is a great thread on it somewhere called "New world class cloner at Walmart"
that thread is actually called 'World Class Cloner, new at Walmart' i think, ...in any event it is linked in that thread of links compiled by FreezerBoy as well as in the first posting in my 'clone-factory' thread linked in my sig.

btw, here is a pic inside the cab i built to house 4 of these cloners with an area below for short-term vegging of newly rooted clones, ...note that my design passively recaptures heat from the bulbs below to warm my reservoirs, ...they also provide all the light needed to root the clones with reflected light so win-win, lol.
picture.php

peace, and stay safe, SOG

W

wiseone

My vote is temps and light.
Get a 11-18 watt (max) cfl in 3500k spectrum. Spectrums higher have a higher percentage of the bluer spectrum which is for stem/leaf growth. The redder end assists in promoting root growth. Put that bad boy at least 18-24 inches above your cuts.
For temps a good range is 70-80 degrees. Whats the best temp. depends on your set-up and the strain your running. Play around and find your sweet spot.
Remember taking cuts and turning them into clones takes practice. Even after you get your set-up dialed in things can change based on the seasons. My bubbler works great, but this winter has been extremely dry inside my place. My R.H. is @35% and I couldn't get squat to root. I added a bowl of water which raised the R.H. in my cab, and BAM.....roots.
Good Luck!

statusquo

@someotherguy: wow that is a great idea! Screw $30 heating mats haha. Do you have just the one flouro panel and plants below (veg) and above (new clones)?
K+

someotherguy

Veteran
@someotherguy: wow that is a great idea! Screw $30 heating mats haha. Do you have just the one flouro panel and plants below (veg) and above (new clones)?
K+
thanks and i actully have 3x 55watt PL-L's down below for vegging the clones, ...i originally had a fourth 55watter above the cloners but it proved to be unneeded and, in the summer, too hot.

anyway, here's a couple pics and if you're interested in construction details, the build is linked in my sig.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smokeone1

got temps up too 81, and humidty at 76 the girls don't look tohappy about it though. Time will tell thanks for the help.

Stress_test

Veteran
make yourself a ram like the one in the pic above so you can push the rooted clones out, ...that way you won't tear the roots, ...and wait the full 14 days before potting up your clones, that last 2 days can really make a difference.

that thread is actually called 'World Class Cloner, new at Walmart' i think, ...in any event it is linked in that thread of links compiled by FreezerBoy as well as in the first posting in my 'clone-factory' thread linked in my sig.

btw, here is a pic inside the cab i built to house 4 of these cloners with an area below for short-term vegging of newly rooted clones, ...note that my design passively recaptures heat from the bulbs below to warm my reservoirs, ...they also provide all the light needed to root the clones with reflected light so win-win, lol.
picture.php

I love these ice tube trays man. They save so much room and are literally plug-n-play. I haven't seen anything else that is as simple as adding water for near 100%.

Hey SOG, go over to the pet/fishtank section the next time you go to WallyWorld. I picked up an air-tone, tubing and an air pump for about another $12. I got the 20 to 60 gallon pump and the air-stone is the perfect length to set underneath the cloning tray. I flipped mine upside down so the bubbles are dispersed better under the tray.

As you know, roots like as much oxygen as they can get.