What's new

Question on Finding a keeper.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Okay i dont know if my f1 p1 stuff is going to be correct when i ask this question but hopefully it makes sense.

I thought i read that if you take P1 and P2 and cross them together and make f1's then take the F1's and cross them together with other F1's you find the best gems from the f2 seeds ? is this right ?

Im trying to dig deeper into creating something special, and like normal casual growers i cross two different lines that i think would make a good cross and then just grow out those seeds. But i cant remember where i read that to find something really special from that cross i would need to breed those 1st batch of seeds together then grow out those seeds to find what im looking for ?

troutman

Seed Whore
To get the maximum variations it's best if your P1 and P2 are totally unrelated.

For example: Using 2 Skunk hybrids isn't going to give you the same amount of variations as
using a pure Indica and pure Sativa Landrace as your P1 and P2. F2's is where you have the
best chances of finding something new and exciting.

If you use hybrid plants to breed with make sure they are not related in other words.

Just remember it's a numbers game also.

More plants = More chances at finding your Holy Grail. :tiphat:

Good Luck.

S

sourpuss

I think most would agree the offspring are limited by their parents to a degree. Ditchweed taken to f75 is still ditchweed. I think breeding with purpose might get you somewhere. Start with something special and attempt to improve it in whatever way your goal is. Id say breed for effect first and foremost. The rest im sure you will find your way. Should be thought and care taken imo. Easy to see who and why some r the most popular breeders.

Guess im saying dont water down a kush with northern lights and expect anything other than a slightly kushy nl. Not sayin it wont be strong herb but whats to be expected in the flav...

Imo its better to take a kush that say has the most intoxicating kush flavour and a good high and cross it to another kush that maybe has a good kush flav but a high that has zero ceiling and is a 1 hitter, effect of unmatched euphoria and strength. This would be a great cross, where the offspring may turn out better than the parents. A pheno the tastes amazing kush with the killler high if your lucky..

Limeygreen

Veteran
At any point in the cross you can find keepers and duds, all depends on how many you have to go through, some crosses will be giving you more keepers than others, better combination abilities, less recessive etc. By going into more generations you just end up segregating the genetics more until you make it stable which depends on the parents and how many parents you use, if you want more possibilities use more parents say 20 males pollinating each female say 20 females. If you check out whitebuffalo's Instagram page, around image 23 there is a chart and description of how skunk was bred, I am sure it is elsewhere that is just the place I remember it from.

Finding a keeper is just about probability, as I said depends on the parents and their combining abilities, how their genes are dominant and recessive. Find the plants you like the best and do crosses 1 male to 1 female for each plant you want to keep, label the crosses and see which off spring you like the best, which parents gave the best outcome, save all seeds just in case you have second thoughts down the road. Then you can go to your f2 generation doing the same thing, if you want to keep vigour and many traits in the line take best parents that gave best results and pollinate them all open pollination for back up seed for the future, keep those parents in case you wish to re create that cross or use for other crosses.

How in depth do you want to go, and how much time, effort and resources do you have or want to use will determine the route you wish to go, if you just want to find a keeper why not just do a cross and then test the off spring at the one to one cross level, good progeny are determined on say 15-30 seed run of each to determine which ones to explore more, make a shitload of seeds then keep popping them until you find the keeper, back crosses could be done to fix traits etc or just selection of best parents with desired traits one to one cross etc, rinse repeat until you find your golden girls.

Latest posts

Latest posts