What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bulk Subzero Ethanol Extraction

superglue

How so? I am curious about the differences. If high quality flowers are used as the source material, what are the apples and oranges?

apples and oranges are what you are making

for cbda or thca...ethanol or butane
for distillate...isopropyl
for a slab of shatter...butane
for medibles..ethanol

basically anything that needs to stay lower temp should have a solvent that is palatable if there are any trace and distillate can use solvent that is a bit cheaper and less explosive because it will be mmmm distilled

fwiw

Gtir

How long are you guys soaking/agitating the material in cold ethabol? I’m told 10 minutes for a full extraction.

lawya

Sounds like my original thinking is in line with all of your recommendations, so I'm going that way.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like my original thinking is in line with all of your recommendations, so I'm going that way.

Ummmm, sounds like you got started without me and already have it figured out. Bon appetite!

whereisbrianV.

Grey Wolf, how exactly are you venting all of the gas pressure from the dry ice? The alcohol will burn through dry ice quickly creating a great deal of pressure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grey Wolf, how exactly are you venting all of the gas pressure from the dry ice? The alcohol will burn through dry ice quickly creating a great deal of pressure.

Through the three way valves to atmosphere with the design posted.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those PRV'S are going to see some work. Hope everything is vented to outside the extraction room.

Good point. All vents to the exhaust system, including the three way vent valves and the PRV's.

Ostensibly with the open three way valves venting any pressure, the PRV's won't activate.

whereisbrianV.

That's good to know. We have had issues with sharing vent valves with process valves in the past. Some inspectors will look right over it while other will demand a dedicated vent circuit. Regardless with a competent operator it will never be a issue.

how Many same gallons of ethanol will you wash different material with?

Ie.. you start with 5 gallons ethanol. Wash 5lbs material with it, squeeze material to reclaim ethanol.

Now whatever ethanol’s lost, would you top off to make 5 gallons ethanol again and wash another different 5 lbs material in same ethanol? How many times can you do this? 2:1 5:1 10:1?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Ie.. you start with 5 gallons ethanol. Wash 5lbs material with it, squeeze material to reclaim ethanol.

Now whatever ethanol’s lost, would you top off to make 5 gallons ethanol again and wash another different 5 lbs material in same ethanol? How many times can you do this? 2:1 5:1 10:1?

ASSuming a practical saturation of 33%, and a 25% yield from prime bud, 5 lbs of material would yield about 567.5 grams of oil.

5 gallons of ethanol with a specific gravity of .79, would weigh about 14,954 grams, so that would be about 3.8% saturation.

That suggest about 8.7 times, but consider loss of efficiency as the ethanol saturates and the target material left behind in remaining alcohol unless you are following with a clear rinse.

duke0fdank

have u considered saturating ur cold ethanol with co2? it can make the ethanol less polar and less viscous. colder would be better lik -70c

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
have u considered saturating ur cold ethanol with co2? it can make the ethanol less polar and less viscous. colder would be better lik -70c

The dry ice is bubbling CO2 through the ethanol and saturates it.

-50C is a minimum and when chilling ethanol directly with dry ice, the temperature is typically closer to -70C. Unless the column of material is at -70C or below, the temperature won't stay that low once the flow starts.

Attached is a chart showing dielectric constant of ethanol at temperature.

Attachments

• Ethanol dielectric constant by temperature3.png
    Ethanol dielectric constant by temperature3.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 29

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
The dry ice is bubbling CO2 through the ethanol and saturates it.

-50C is a minimum and when chilling ethanol directly with dry ice, the temperature is typically closer to -70C. Unless the column of material is at -70C or below, the temperature won't stay that low once the flow starts.

Attached is a chart showing dielectric constant of ethanol at temperature.

Hey GW. I have always tried to avoid getting dry ice directly in etoh wash and instead chilled glass or stainless containers. Do you think there are any direct benefits to extract terpenes with using carbonated ethanol? Since I bulk remove etoh under vacuum with a mantle and condensers, I always thought the bubbles from c02 would cause more violent blow back, where liquid from boiling flask can enter receiver flask.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran

I personally use fresh ethanol for all flower runs. Reclaimed alcohol from flower run is used for trim run. Reclaimed alcohol from trim run is used for cooling baths and cleaning glassware. You certainly can use it more but I am pretty anal. I think GW previously described the process (of repeatedly reusing reclaimed alcohol) as slowly making canna-flavored (terpenes and other organics with a boiling point less than etoh) Gin.

If you are wanting to do runs of 5 gallons, which is a lot, you should be looking at the rotovaps, for safety alone. The big ones are expensive, but efficient. It is either more money or more labor depending on process.