What's new

I need opinions on this water cooled split ac

queequeg152

Veteran
http://www.h-mac.com/product-catalogs/tpi/tpi-pacws-catalog.pdf

all i could find.

basically a split ac system with a secondary water loop to transfer the head to the condenser.

it will consume no water. there is no refrigerant in the condenser just water.

ive never seen an ac system like this. i can see how it might be handy for something like job site i guess... but a drain to waste system seems more practical/

you COULD run this drain to waste... but i wouldnt unless it has some means to high side pressure control.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Thanks for that link

Thanks for that link

It looks like it's pretty quite, we will see how efficient it is compared to the mini splits. i just like the idea of moving it from place to place without the trouble of refrigerant line sets. I do wonder what it means by pre pressurized line set. I wonder if you could run it like you mentioned without the outdoor unit just letting it drain(the hot water) and returning cold well water at the right pressure in its place. That Amazon price is crazy but I found 5 of them new for 1900 each.

queequeg152

Veteran
It looks like it's pretty quite, we will see how efficient it is compared to the mini splits. i just like the idea of moving it from place to place without the trouble of refrigerant line sets. I do wonder what it means by pre pressurized line set. I wonder if you could run it like you mentioned without the outdoor unit just letting it drain(the hot water) and returning cold well water at the right pressure in its place. That Amazon price is crazy but I found 5 of them new for 1900 each.

1900 for 2 tons of cooling is not a good deal at all.

typically a traditionsl split system is like 300-400 dollars per ton.

high end split systems and minisplits are more like 6-800 dollars per ton.

super high end stuff like the trane VRF's are like 1000 per ton.

if your system inline with super high end VRF spliits? i don think so.

heres the thing about brazing linesets.

yes you need tools to do it. yes its not idiot proof.

but its not so bad that you need to avoid it at all costs.
hell you can avoid brazing by using flair connections and a a torque wrench... but brazing really isnt that hard.
just get a turbo torch and nitrogen tank.

you need like 500-1000 bucks worth of tools and a bit of knowlage.

but once you have it, you are set... and you can fix pretty much all of the AC issues you will encounter.

linesets can be quickly pumped down and disconnected by simply reheating the couplings and pulling them apart.

condensing units can be moved by simply pumping down and closing the service valves.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Cool thanks

Cool thanks

I am very aware that there are alternatives that might be more cost effective. I wasn't trying to brag about what a good deal they were just explain more why I was interested. I run 3 Mitsubishi mini splits that I self installed and a 2 ton freidrich brand mini with quick connects. I have acquired all the tools and can do the install the right way and pretty easily but you are kidding yourself if you think I am going to move minis around wherever I need them. As far as price, a 2 ton Mitsubishi is going cost about the same maybe a touch more. I am really looking for someone with some experience with this unit or one similar. I was under the impression that these lines might simply contain water on this unit which would make moving it around a few minute process. Thanks again.