What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Teflon© bag collection tek

Keefhead

Well, I've tried it twice now, the first time was a good resullt, not perfect by any means, but encouraging. The second, and last run, was a total flop. Too many changes and "improvements" to the process. :bat: So I'm re-reading this thread in anticipation of a harvest coming up in a few weeks. And I ordered a few of the teflon bags.

Gotta find something useful to do with those silly old big buds on the top. They keep the light off my lower hash buds. :bat:

foaf

Veteran
Keefhead said:
Well, I've tried it twice now, the first time was a good resullt, not perfect by any means, but encouraging. The second, and last run, was a total flop..........

What went wrong. Its been working well for me.

Keefhead

Bad BHO Day

Bad BHO Day

The pump took a dump on us, and we had to go get another one. Then we bumped the pot while putting it on, and everything spilled. The vacuum guage was changed, and it leaked. The list goes on and on. Very bad day - I went in and had 3 BIG bowls, he had a double scotch. Nest time.....

Last edited:

Keefhead

Double Chivas, coming right up.

These new teflon bags are better than what I/we tried before. Those were large pink teflon electronics bags, these new ones are just the right size to fit under the tube and hold a can of 'tane, and should work well.

I got p/n P00017-2, a PTFE teflon bag I chose after reading the specs at the bottom of the page. Other sizes may be better for different folks.

Thanks for the idea, foaf.

Mercer

is a vacum purge absolutely needed for this to work?
any other techniques for the less technically-inclined folks out there?

thanks much

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I believe you can do a purge with traditional methods and these bags but nothing beats a good vacuum purge.

I'd like to build a vacuum purge unit and if anyone could post some info to get me started i'd be grateful.

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Now that just Kicks ass, the scrape was what turned me off making oil after 2 attempts...I mean I got it all but man what a Ball-ache lol, this idea has got me determined to make some more when i harvest my next..... What sort of shop would carry these bags-are they a food related item that i can get at the supermarket??

GZA

Harry Gypsna said:
Now that just Kicks ass, the scrape was what turned me off making oil after 2 attempts...I mean I got it all but man what a Ball-ache lol, this idea has got me determined to make some more when i harvest my next..... What sort of shop would carry these bags-are they a food related item that i can get at the supermarket??

probably more likely found at smart and final or a resturant supply store

foaf

Veteran
you can get small and medium ones on ebay. search teflon bag. if there isnt one listed, try back soon enough, they always pop back up. you want the "grill size". they use them for oil free grilling and cooking. There are also some technical places on the internet that sell sample bags for some scientific collections. they sell larger ones, you just have to search around.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
GUYS!!!! HOLD THE FUCK UP PLEASE!!!!

I know all you guys think this is a great idea, but there is a VERY VERY serious flaw with this system........TEFLON.

If ANY Teflon gets into your mix, even a tiny particle you cannot really see, it WILL KILL YOU

If you actually burn Teflon it creates a very very potent neurotoxin that is very very deadly, upon inhalation especially. 100 grams of Teflon burnt is enough to kill 5000 people....you do the math on how little you need to kill one person.

If you want to use a SAFE non-stick container to gas-off in, use the silicone baking trays that are so popular nowadays... they are cheap, they work great, and they will not KILL YOU if a wee tiny morsel ends up getting burnt.

Last edited:

Kosmo

genkisan i can understand your concern but they use Teflon(Polytetrafluoroethylene) on nonstick pans for cooking. also PTFE is a white solid at room temperature, with a density of about 2.2 g/cm3. According to DuPont its melting point is 327 °C (620.6 °F), but its properties degrade above 260 °C (500 °F). so ya if you can get it that hot, but i usually keep it as low as 100°F...
PTFE – Polytetrafluoroethylene
On the atomic level, a PTFE molecule resembles a carbon rod
encased in a sheath of fluorine atoms. These atoms form a strong
and continuous shield around the carbon-carbon bonds, providing
it with chemical resistance and stability. This atomic make-up is
what imbues PTFE with its key properties:
�� High continuous service temperature (260ºC)
�� Very lubricious - lowest coefficient of friction of any polymer
�� Chemical and solvent resistance
�� Electrical resistance
�� High melting point (342ºC/648ºF)

Peace and love...

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
genkisan........... said:
If ANY Teflon gets into your mix, even a tiny particle you cannot really see, it WILL KILL YOU

You have no Idea whatsoever what you are talking about.. Why don't you research things a bit and then come back and delete your mistaken post. If you would like, I can dredge up some sensationalist bullshit related to gelatin allergy and sudden death from anaphylaxis and post it in bold letters in all of your threads. You use gelatin in your cannabex capsules don't you? This is the second time you have come in with some sensationalis bullshit on one of my threads.

the primary concern with Teflon is related to PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), this is not teflon, its not in Teflon, and it would not be found even in traces in free standing Teflon, as one would see in a Teflon bag or fitting or stopcock ect, they have been found related to nonstick coatings on metal pans, in very small amounts. Im a chemist who has incidentally done some polymer research, I am very familiar with this stuff. Even the PFOA stuff is blown way out of proportion, and its not pertinent here anyway.

If teflon were that toxic we would all be dead. And when Teflon is burned, at higher temperatures than you get with your lighter in a pipe anyway, it releases some chemicals, sure. They are not neurotoxins, HCl is probably the worst of them. You should see the list of chemicals cannabis itself releases. Im not recommending that you smoke teflon.

Last edited:

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
foaf said:
You have no Idea whatsoever what you are talking about.. Why don't you research things a bit and then come back and delete your mistaken post. If you would like, I can dredge up some sensationalist bullshit related to gelatin allergy and sudden death from anaphylaxis and post it in bold letters in all of your threads. You use gelatin in your cannabex capsules don't you? This is the second time you have come in with some sensationalis bullshit on one of my threads.

the primary concern with Teflon is related to PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), this is not teflon, its not in Teflon, and it would not be found even in traces in free standing Teflon, as one would see in a Teflon bag or fitting or stopcock ect, they have been found related to nonstick coatings on metal pans, in very small amounts. Im a chemist who has incidentally done some polymer research, I am very familiar with this stuff. Even the PFOA stuff is blown way out of proportion, and its not pertinent here anyway.

If teflon were that toxic we would all be dead. And when Teflon is burned, at higher temperatures than you get with your lighter in a pipe anyway, it releases some chemicals, sure. They are not neurotoxins, HCl is probably the worst of them. You should see the list of chemicals cannabis itself releases. Im not recommending that you smoke teflon.

foaf, I am not trying to diss your method, nor am I trying to bring "sensationalist bullshit" to your threads..... the pyrolysis of tetrafluoroethylene polymers, including Telon, can and will produce very toxic things.

When heated above 600 C, Teflon depolymerises into perfluoro-iso-butylene, which is a very toxic gas. Look it up, I am not full of shit on this one....

Just trying to keep things safe, and eliminate needless chances taken....no need to get all pissy. The silicone baking tray material works just as well, but with less risk.

Don't take it so personally, foaf....I am not attacking you, in any way.

Last edited: