What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple clouds

Veteran
If they are not moldy we can try and get good DNA from them. What are they? Be sure and dry them well after failing to sprout them.
-SamS

bangladesh that dates to the 70's
a thai from australia seeds were found in 1987
colombian chocolate sativa
cherry bomb(mai waui)
cabeca de nega from brazil
aracaju red from brazil
punta roja collected 2002 in colombia
brazilian green from brazil
paraguay cohiba
manga rosa from brazil
papua new guinea
elephant killer(mostly cambodian from mullum madman)
1972 colombian gold
colombian gold(from bsc)
colombian black(from bsc)
red mango from northeast brazil
wild brazilian collected by gyspy
wild thai collected by gyspy
viet-lao
and a few more..

sugarman

Hi Sam,

did you consider Nikolai Vavilov and his work on origins and evolution of cannabis? I presume you have some speculations, and it would be very interesting if you could write a word or two about it (and compare it to work of this Russian scientist). Always wanted to read it on my own, but found it hard to find any of his works (considering cannabis) on the internet, language is not the problem.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
C´mon guys... let's keep the thread on topic so everybody can solve the questions concerning the DNA Research.

GMOs, patented genetics, stealing genetics to make profit on them... seriously? I think some people is getting too paranoid. Many studies like this were carried already. Karl Hillig did it already in 2004-2005 and thanks to his findings we all know how cannabis spreaded around the world and the controversy with Cannabis genus taxonomy was finally solved.

Hopefully with this new upcoming research we will understand even more about the Cannabis genus evolution and the origin of all the Cannabis subspecies and landraces all over the world. It's more than most of us have ever dreamed about.

I can't undestand why so much people worried about a bunch of old seeds being used for such an interesting research or some other paranoid concerns with no basis or sense at all? Seeds won't even be germinated or grown, they are gonna be killed to import them legally to the USA. The goal and use of this research is far beyond personal interests.

No one forces anyone to be part of this or to get rid of the precious treasures you are afraid that anyone else could get as well. I'm very grateful that for the first time, the scientific community and researchers offer the opportunity to growers and landrace enthusiasts to be part of such amazing project so we both can contribute to a common interest and goal. If someone has interesting seeds to donate for the research so there will be more strains to study and you are willing to share, fantastic. You may help the world to understand a bit more of Cannabis botany and evolution! If not, cool as well. But there is no need for dramas, isn't it?

We should support or at least respect those who want to do something positive for the Cannabis understanding and the community, instead of questioning and bashing them with no reason.

Vibes.

Last edited:

harry74

Veteran
May be the GH guys can send some of the landraces they have been gathering. Malawi gold, swazi, north india etc.

Just and idea.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Wouldn't this genome "map" seriously help agribusiness install a GMO terminator gene into cannabis? That could be quite bad... no seeds and clones that don't root at all... there are some seriously negative implications as well depending on who is in control and how transparent they are with their research...

I have zero wish to help GMO, I have never worked with GMO and will not.
That said I refuse to let any unreal fear of GMO hinder basic research into Cannabis DNA sequencing. I don't think your fear of a terminator gene is based on anything real in Cannabis. Even if they did it in the future it would only be in their terminator Cannabis varieties created by them via GMO, is that what you will buy? Nor me, or anyone I know, unless they insert GMO terminator genes in every and all drug Cannabis varieties it is pretty useless for them to do any as people will just avoid them and make their own "not terminator seeds".
-SamS

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
like sam said here a few times and in the message he send me. he only wants old landrace seeds that you can personally source. not any of your kush or your treasured diesel skunk. only 1 seed of the thousands i have are like that. as for patents. whatever. has weed being illegal ever stopped you? why would a patent?

grow on brothers and sisters. grow on.

Buckowens

Sam, I have some wild hemp from Blue Earth County collected a few years ago. As well as some "pure" seed from Lash Kar gah in Helmand Province if that s seems to fit your requirements I'd be glad to send 'em your way.
Paco

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sam, I have some wild hemp from Blue Earth County collected a few years ago. As well as some "pure" seed from Lash Kar gah in Helmand Province if that s seems to fit your requirements I'd be glad to send 'em your way.
Paco

I can't PM you as you have less then 50 posts bit I want them,
Bring you post count up to 50 and I will PM you a list of questions about them to be answered.
Thanks for the offer,
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Got seeds that do it? Please send some....
-SamS

Questions for seed contributors to answer:

Foreign Landrace Accessions

Alive or Dead?
Where were the seeds collected?
When were they collected?
Were the seeds were collected personally in the area?
OR, the seeds were sent by a friend that can be trusted that collected them in the area.
OR, the seeds were presumed to be from an area.
What was the local use? (ex., drug, fiber or seed)
Were the parent plants seen? Anything special?
Long flowering, short flowering?
Resistance to mold or PM?
Yields especially high?
Number of seeds?
#1 the seeds were collected personally in the area.
#2 the seeds were sent by a friend that can be trusted that collected them in the area.
#3 the seeds were presumed to be from an area.

or for Domestically Reproduced Accessions

Alive or Dead?
Originally collected where?
Where were they made in the West?
From a seed Company?
From clones or from seed-grown plants?
If the seeds are from many parents, how many males and females made the seeds?
Or, did they come from just one female and many males?
Or, from just one female and one male?
Are they selfed all female seeds?
Are there clones alive today?
Number of seeds?

Yes, just not on the same page.

Anybody ever seen this before:

View Image

I would sure like to know what kind of genetics this is.
It's not an exception, all the plants have it and the offspring too.

konopenko

Veteran
This could be one of the greatest projects in cannabis sfere..a really big part in ganja science :woohoo: is there something serious to report to ganja addicts, first news?
My advise is also to contact Vavilov Institute in St.Petersburg/Leningrad because they must have few hundreds of hemp species and maybe of ganja too.
:tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This could be one of the greatest projects in cannabis sfere..a really big part in ganja science :woohoo: is there something serious to report to ganja addicts, first news?
My advise is also to contact Vavilov Institute in St.Petersburg/Leningrad because they must have few hundreds of hemp species and maybe of ganja too.
:tiphat:

We are in touch with the VIR, mostly they have hemp, still interesting for the DNA work. We will do our best to get a few seeds of everything in their Cannabis collection.
-SamS

I would love to see an eventual DNA landrace map with proposed genetic relatives superimposed on a map of nomadic migratory routes circa early BCE to mid CE.

Buckowens

I can't PM you as you have less then 50 posts bit I want them,
Bring you post count up to 50 and I will PM you a list of questions about them to be answered.
Thanks for the offer,
-SamS

Sweet, if you want to just send the info to Greeninthethumb, he will forward it on to me. Looking forward to what comes of this. Despite all the hubbub from some of the other folks, I think this is going to be quite interesting.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://phylosbioscience.com/the-cannabis-evolution-project/

Phylos Bioscience is mapping the history of Cannabis evolution, from thousands of years ago in Central Asia to the last few decades of breeding in California and Holland. We’re working with Rob Desalle, curator at the American Museum of Natural History, to solve the systematics problems created by massive hybridization. Until we publish the tree, we’re doing free genetic testing.

We are sequencing the genomes of thousands of different Cannabis plants — from preserved herbarium specimens to an ancient sample recovered from a 2700-year-old shamanic grave in Northern China.

Our partner labs are collecting samples of every single modern hybrid strain available, and we’re trying to locate all of the original landrace genetics still available in California, Amsterdam, and Southeast Asia. A data visualization tool on the web will let anyone see where their plants are on the tree, what their ancestry is, and how they’re performing.

When we’re done, you’ll be able to tell the world that your strain is really what you think it is – if it is. Random re-naming of strains will stop. If you create genuinely new strains, you’ll get to name them, and they’ll stay named. Small growers with incredible plants will be able to protect them, and people who love particular strains will be able to find them again.

Bring in every strain you can think of. Bring in old stuff you haven’t looked at in years — we can still get DNA from it. Help us fill in the gaps. And find out where you are on the Cannabis family tree.

This sounds pretty good and interesting on the surface and relatively open. The lab just needs to provide a few details to prospective donors/clients. Typically with every lab, submission of materials for testing, there is at least a 'chain of custody form' which outlines the owner of the sample(s) submitted and the testing to be done. These usually imply or explicitly outline some level of confidentiality.
(IME anyway)

ozza

Veteran
Are you going to create a map for skunk #1 and the rks or old school skunk to show it changed it's form?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am testing the protocol right now, I was told dry heat 100c for 12 minutes.
I have seen,
5.1 Steam Heat
The use of steam for rendering seed or grain non-viable requires that the seed lot be homogenous and that all parts of the seed lot be subjected uniformly and continuously to steam heat for a minimum of 15 minutes. Due to the insulating properties of seed, care must be taken to assure that the entire lot is exposed to live steam. If subsequent testing shows that the lot is not 100% non-viable, the process must be repeated.

5.2 Infra-Red Radiation
Industrial Hemp can be rendered non-viable through an infra-red cooking process. This is accomplished by first tempering the seed to a moisture content of 13 to 14 percent. The seed is then heated using natural gas generated infra-red energy of a wavelength of 1.8 to 3.2 microns. The seed must be heated to a minimum temperature of 110 degrees Celsius. The seed flow rate must be set to assure that the time of cooking includes heating time from ambient to treatment temperature, and that treatment time is sufficient to result in non-viable seed. If subsequent testing shows that the lot is not 100% non-viable, the process must be repeated.

I am trying all three methods with fresh seeds, as I need 100% non-viable for the USA.
-SamS

BTW did you (Sam) find a way to kill the seeds without degrading DNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.