What's new

Runny amber help needed

PeopleWish

Hello my dear icmag brothers and sisters,

I am trying to achieve shatter, but instead I am coming up withthisrunny mess.

Here is the process:

I start with dry extremely sugar ak-47/Durban poison trim

1. I do not grind but instead I shredd my trim and stuff it in an extraction tube.
2. I proceed to blast and collect the run off in a Pyrex dish.
3. I then boil water and fill a dish
4. Then I place the butane solution that is in the Pyrex dish directly into the hot water dish
5. I periodically add more hot water until the bubbles significantly stop bubbling.
6. Not I add my ever clear to the, about an inch deep.
7. I then stuck that dish into the freezer for 24~hours
8. Then I boil a pot of water, once boiling I take it off the heat and set my everclear dish over the pot to reduce
9. Once reduced I end up with this dark amber goo that is rathe runny.

Edit: I Filter out as much wax fat and other contaminats as possible in between the bho and ethanol purge.
Need suggestion I want to achieve amber thank you

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
are you letting it reduce enough? it sounds to me, and i've got limited experience, that it's not being reduced enough. I use a solvent and when I don't let it evaporate enough mine can be runny too.

PeopleWish

What dictates whether it has receded enough?

And if it needs further reducing would it simply need to sit out further?

PeopleWish

its been sitting for like 8 hrs :(

Like runny poo.

However it is very potent.

Was reading about the differences in consistency with regards to THCA and THC... INteresting.

No idea why my extraction will not crystalize.

Any info much appreciated

master shake

Everclear is still about 5% water. That is probably what the issue is. Try spreading it out really thin and place over a heat source as you have been doing. Extra heat would help the H2O evaporate quicker.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both decarboxylation and residual ethanol will lower the viscosity.

If it was extremely dry, it may have already been decarboxylated.

If it has a sweet taste when vaporized, it may have residual ethanol?

As is typical greywolf drops the science, I was thinking perhaps decarboxylation since the color is dark... but that could be a property of your resin to begin with.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

Man I love it when I am in tune with the Gods!!
I was thinking that 212+ degrees will do this--:tiphat:

jump117

Veteran
These are the two most likely causes of reliably known.

Everclear is still about 5% water. That is probably what the issue is. Try spreading it out really thin and place over a heat source as you have been doing. Extra heat would help the H2O evaporate quicker.
Exactly what I was thinking.
I agree with the recommendations of the thin layer and an increase in temperature, but disagree with the comment about the water.
5% H2O +95% EtOH form an azeotrope. When it is heated, the alcohol and water evaporate at the same time, the water can not be separated.

8. Then I boil a pot of water, once boiling I take it off the heat and set my everclear dish over the pot to reduce
Try to raise the temperature of evaporating a little, do not remove the water from the heater and leave the dish over boiling water.
For more reliable removal of ethanol, it should be heated to the boiling point.
Before reaching this temperature, the ethanol evaporates only from the exposed surface, but not from the interior material.

jump117

Veteran
I was thinking that 212+ degrees will do this--:tiphat:

While ethanol evaporates, the temperature does not rise above the boiling point of ethanol.
After the ethanol evaporated, the temperature rises to the steam temperature, at which point the evaporation should be discontinued.

PeopleWish

Unfortunately my sense of smell/taste is non-existent, :(

however my friend had a dab, and told me that it tasted like "straight gasoline",
excess ethanol must be the culprit.

I think i am going to take this runny "absolute" and spread it out over a dish and leave it over boiling water until it hopefully crystallizes.

If anyone disagrees, please post and tell me why with-in the next 8-12 hours, just got home from the bar and going to pass out.

ps thank you for all of you that have contributed, truly genius. :smile:

pps. and my trim was not bone dry, instead had an RH of 50~

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

however my friend had a dab, and told me that it tasted like "straight gasoline",

I think i am going to take this runny "absolute" and spread it out over a dish and leave it over boiling water until it hopefully crystallizes.

If anyone disagrees, please post and tell me why with-in the next 8-12 hours, just got home from the bar and going to pass out.

ps thank you for all of you that have contributed, truly genius. :smile:

pps. and my trim was not bone dry, instead had an RH of 50~

It won't crystalize but in a thin film it will lose the rest of the alcohol.

jump117

Veteran

Residual ethanol may not be the cause. The taste and smell of ethanol is totally different from gasoline.

PeopleWish

Could possibly have tasted unpurged butane?

For as long as the bho had its ethanol bath you would think that all of the butane was removed.

If not I'll pay stricter attention to prouder next run and document results with pics here ;)

Thanks again

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

jump117

Veteran
Could possibly have tasted unpurged butane?
For as long as the bho had its ethanol bath you would think that all of the butane was removed.
I use “London” from a nearby tobacco shop. To me it is tasteless and almost odorless.
And I’m sure it is removed after dissolution in EtOH and its heated evaporation.
Is the same true for butane?? Just curious, because he said he did the initial run into a pyrex dish floating in boiling water--
Seems the initial run was blasted aside and then dish was placed in hot water.

I think the same is true for butane.

While ethanol (butane) evaporates, the temperature does not rise above the boiling point of ethanol (butane).
After the ethanol (butane) evaporated, the temperature rises to the steam temperature, at which point the evaporation should be discontinued.

I think that butane may be a liquid only at temperatures below the boiling point. At atmospheric pressure, it is -0,5 ° C, 32 ° F.

Boiling liquid gas in the dish has precisely this temperature.
The temperature gradient located in the thickness of the walls and bottom of the dish.
The outer surface has a temperature of hot water, and the internal has temperature of boiling butane.

The lucky winners are closed systems owners,
but those who have evaporated into the atmosphere,
should carefully evaluate the risks and safety of their operations.

Evaporation of butane, especially with heating is the most dangerous part of the process.

PeopleWish

I do all evaporations outside.

Thank you jump for your consideration.

Now for my results:

I took the runny extract and spread it out over my pyrex dish. I then placed it over the boiling water.

The extract began to form thousands of micro bubbles.

After about 5 minutes over the boiling pot I removed the pyrex and let the extract cool.

This resulted in a much more firm extract, however it was extremely sticky.

The only way to get it to fully solidify was to place it in the freezer. However, once I removed the extract from the freezer it quickly melted when touched.

I am going to to do another run from scratch wish me luck.