What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO consistancy problems

slimjoint

I make wax on the regular, and i always run the same strains and have got them all to be dry crumbly consistancy, But every once in a while it gets more ofa hard playdough texture and its not what im aiming for, i monitor temps through out and never gets above 120. The only thing i cant notice doing different is when i start the whipping, sometimes i whip when there more or less bubbles, im wondering if the butane bubbles attribute to the texture?

jump117

Veteran
I think that the residual butane is involved in the whipping.
Never seen a report on whipping after vacuum.

purple_man

Veteran
high all!

in my experience, the playdough texture rather occurs, when the material was powdered/crumbled and too much impurities get dissolved or, when the starting material has a high amount of non capitated trichome glands... seems like refiltering works best to solve this problem. and normally during the whipping process, oxygen gets "infused" into the oil structure -> texture change, also during whipping the left/trapped butane evaporated due to surface "extension" and reheating...

blessss

jump117

Veteran
possibly, but IPA extracts budder up excellently, and there is no butane present.
It was a spontaneous autobuddering or did you manage intentionally whipped QWISO into a thick, pasty dense foam?
Do you remember what was the initial texture and what type of budder you watched with iso?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
a guy i knew made budder out of IPA extracts all the time. he said some strains worked really well, others not so much, its the same with using butane.

. it was not a spontaneous event, he purposely whipped it.

slimjoint

Actually you can get wax/budder/honeycomb texture using a vacuum with no agitation at all, just heat and some tricks with the vac.

Here's a good video of how youtuber Bret1Maverick does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2qE0cbOeE0

and the plot thickens...............:biggrin:
I got a shitty little mighty vac, i really need to invest in a vac, i like the sexy texture best. thanks for the vid brother.

high all!

in my experience, the playdough texture rather occurs, when the material was powdered/crumbled and too much impurities get dissolved or, when the starting material has a high amount of non capitated trichome glands... seems like refiltering works best to solve this problem. and normally during the whipping process, oxygen gets "infused" into the oil structure -> texture change, also during whipping the left/trapped butane evaporated due to surface "extension" and reheating...

blessss
All my material is always hand ground fine, its all from seed runs so the bud is broken up to collect seeds. sometimes i get it dry crumble, others playdough.
Im thinking the pyrex gets to a different temperature in the pot , maaybe the bottom of the pan is getting hotter sometimes more than others? i should get infrared laser thermometer.

one thing that helps a LOT is spreading it thin. like as thin as possible

the dryer the better unless you only dab

I like rolling joints with dry oil :biggrin:
the thing is when i whip it, it drys on the pan and as i whip it ill get like 10-30g chunks.
that is when it gets dry.

im thinking my pan temp might be different from the water.

Hashmastakut, i always try to acheive rock hard bho, but my stuff autobudders on me.
would you maybe be able to give a quick rundown on your method, i run buds most the time i just cant get amber unless its an absolute. iremember there was a thread i couldnt find it.

KiefSweat

Veteran
i think it depends on plant wax and terpenes.

if its dry to the touch but still tacky and putty like its the best you will get it due to some other impurity

slimjoint

is your dish clean? old paste in a dish seems to activate the autobuddering.
My dish is re-used for a couple runs before i clean it, i always wondered if some of the left overs had anything to do with it, i am going to try a small side by side to see if it makes any difference.
I mean take the fresh oil non whipped and spread it thin

I have seen greatness come from non whipped oils
I prefer the sexy oil/shatter for dabbing my self, stores like the blonde look.

i think it depends on plant wax and terpenes.

if its dry to the touch but still tacky and putty like its the best you will get it due to some other impurity
Yeah thats what im getting its dry to the touch, but wont crumble its like tough putty, maybe i should trim the leaves and run them seperate from the actual buds, because i just remove big water leaves and rummage through everything else to get the seeds.

GanjaPharma

is your dish clean? old paste in a dish seems to activate the autobuddering.

i never cleaned my dish after it was 99% scraped, i almost always get full honeycomb/budder texture, just from the heat purge. just wait 30 minutes or so, and scoop up all the buddery goodness.

last few runs i have been using an oilslick pad, and while it is awesome (no scraping!) i am not getting the budder. same batch of trim, same temps same everything. SHATTER everytime. the only thing different is a shiny clean surface vs, a mostly scraped clean pyrex.

some recent thoughts on this:
i know that "seed crystals" are used to control the formation of crystals in honey to produce creamed honey. "dyce's method" for making a stable finely textured product involves a small amount of "seed" or "starter" crystals mixed into a volume of warm honey. gets the whole thing started right in the jar.
control temps, and come back in a few days, and you have finely textured stable honey. no whipping at all (even though it is often called whipped honey)

so my next run, i am going to try something. i am going to continue using the oilslick pad, but i will mix a gram or so of crumbly budder into the spray.

temperature, moisture, and quantity of seed crystal are all factors in dyces method, hopefully i will make some correct assumptions.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
also happens in small batches, not large ones in small plates. a gram of oil in a pie plate will be rock hard shatter typically, but the same dish with 7 grams purging, good luck getting rock hard shatter type stuff. would take a long time, if ever.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Yup before I got a vac I would use surface area to my advantage by smearing the oil really really thin on the pyrex, hardens evenly compared to big thick and thin spots. I could get pretty much any material to glass up doing this, although some strains needed higher temps than others

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have limited experience making budder or wax, and then mostly unintentional, but have more input on shatter.

I get Absolute Amber the consistency and tactile feel of hardened lacquer at room temperature, by using thin films and a hard vacuum, followed by shelf rest to breath and harden at ambient temperatures.

The same material with the waxes still in it, is more like a stiff taffy as removed from the collection pot, but it is extracted in lots of ~50 to ~200 grams, depending on how many columns of the same lot of material are run.

It is also the stickiest substance on the face of the earth, and will stretch tendrils to spider web thickness before breaking.

Latest posts

Latest posts