What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone using jacks 5-12-26 and calnit in coco?

if so what are you mixing at? i want to use jacks with a dosmatic setup with drippers. 1.5 gallon pots DTW with 100% coco.

D

dramamine

It's designed to mix equal parts by volume...not by weight...ie. a TBS of each. I usually mix a rich batch then dilute it down for use. I've been dropping the cal-nit by half or so, later in flowering, replacing it with K and P...but you don't have to do that. It's really simple to use. I would go with EC 1.2-1.4 using drippers.

Y

YosemiteSam

I would agree that 1.2-1.4 EC is a good place to run. CaNO3 at 2/3rds of 5-12-26.

But personally I think this combo has too much K for coco which is why it needs so much Mg.

I understand what you mean sam that the formula isnt optimal in a coco-perlite substate, but it is servicable with the right water. grown with jacks 5-12-26, epsom salts, and calcium nitrate, in coco-lite with water hovering around 50ppm caco3

picture.php

picture.php

Y

YosemiteSam

to much k for coco? so mix 1/2 5-12-26 to 1 15.5-0-0?

No...0.67 grams of CaNO3 to every gram of 5-12-26. The 5-12-26 not only contains K it also contains micros, Mg, etc...if you short it to reduce K you are going to run into other deficiencies.

Just saying I find you can run K at say .75N through stretch and maybe 1.25N in flower which keeps it from locking out other things like Mg and lets you run a lower EC which improves Ca uptake.

You cannot do that with this particular combo though.

D

dramamine

I don't get any lockout at all using the combo. I even add more K, in the form of potassium silicate. I do see the logic of running lower K to reduce total EC, though. I run around 1.5EC mostly, FWIW, and maybe that number could come down with less K. I know plants can use more Ca than they let on....

Y

YosemiteSam

I don't get any lockout at all using the combo. I even add more K, in the form of potassium silicate. I do see the logic of running lower K to reduce total EC, though. I run around 1.5EC mostly, FWIW, and maybe that number could come down with less K. I know plants can use more Ca than they let on....

I did not see them either...until I took out K and found out for me ownself. Ca and a low EC makes an amazing amount of problems we accept as just part of the game go away. They make us water more often but it is a minor price to pay.

Darth Fader

per gal ro:
3g 5-12-26
.8g MgSO4 (Epsom Salts)
2g CaNO3

Mix in one at a time in the same order listed. Do not mix them together in concentrate. Warm cup of water helps to fully dissolve. This will yield around 750 ppm (.5 scale) or 1.5 ec.

Resinable

I did not see them either...until I took out K and found out for me ownself. Ca and a low EC makes an amazing amount of problems we accept as just part of the game go away. They make us water more often but it is a minor price to pay.

YosemiteSam, I have read your posts with interest; I believe you stopped using Jack's Hydro with coco because it was to high in K?

Would mind sharing your current nutrient program for coco? Also what differences did you see when you made the change? Yield? Quality?

Thanks,
Resinable

Y

YosemiteSam

I run elemental N-P-K-Ca-Mg at 100-75-75-110-40 and add a little more Ca as an amendment. I do that through stretch and then, based on what I see, give occasional bumps of mpk. I use CaNO3, ammonium phosphate (to control media pH vs the alkalinity of my water), epsom salt, mpk, a micro package called STEM, a little iron dpta and a little Zn edta.

Taste and plant health (brix) improve a bunch and you see a lot more fall colors other than yellow at the end. Yield does not increase cause you aren't jamming nitrates down the plants throat

Jack's is meant to be used with RO water or very low alkalinity water. If you have alkalinity you will fight rising pH in the media as the grow goes on

YS, what kind of brix levels do you see as a baseline, and what have you been able to increase that by with tweaking of your nutes?

Thanks.

cheeched

Just started using the jack's pro/CaNit combo and so far so good(knock on wood)..Anyhoo, considering that "Jack's is meant to be used with RO water or very low alkalinity water" does anyone have any experience running it with tap..
FWIW, my tap is ~120-140ppm/6.8-7Ph..In early veg I'm mixing recommended ratio(s)and feed/water with ~1/2 strength solution, so right now including tap ~ 700-750 ppm(.5) and ph'd to ~5.5-5.8...
Just flipped a table and running 3gr jacks/2gr CaNit, and will add Epsom salt when or if needed and have always used Pro-Tekt (for the silica) at around 1-2ml/gal..
First wk of flower at ~700ppm including tap/5.7Ph and will be upping gradually weakly(pun intended) increases..
Any thoughts and or suggestions with Jack's line will be mucho appreciated..
So far me thinks it's pretty good stuff, and easily tweakable..As opposed to the 1-part or even 2part bottled stuff..IMO..
TIA..

Y

YosemiteSam

YS, what kind of brix levels do you see as a baseline, and what have you been able to increase that by with tweaking of your nutes?

Thanks.

Before on a good grow I would be in that 10-11 area with a pretty sharp line. Now, in peat, 14 is routine with a fuzzy line, in coco 12.

The difference is the ability to add Ca in the form of carbonate to the peat. I have some Ca Peroxide on the way though...I can add that to coco without messing up pH and we will see what we see.

If your tap is around or below 50 ppm CaCO3 and maybe someplace sub 150 total hardness your good to rock 5-12-26 with tap. You might see some pH (too high) drift but nitrification will eventfully bring pH into a good zone.

Latest posts

Latest posts