What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

looking for a cheap yet quality vacuum set up

hey there everybody, ive been making oil for a little over a year now. Ive moved past the point of making myself individual grams to making larger batches. I havent really fully mastered the purge on my larger batches, always seems to be a bit waxy. When i make my smaller batches i always end up with a nice budder or glass. Ive been making some larger batches, between like a quarter and an oz or so. I want to look into getting a vacuum chamber as a way to make a more consistent product. I do not however, want to drop several hundred dollars because, well, quite frankly i dont have the funds. A more consistent, honeycomb, type texture is more of what im looking for because it would definitely be more marketable in my area. The oil scene is up and rising, but the market isnt there. People arent knowledgable of oil and how to smoke it. A honeycomb that can be broken apart and crumbled on top of a bowl would be much more desirable. Also i would like to be able to be the first in my area with a vacuum purged product for its superiority in the shops. So my long blabbering aside, im looking for an inexpensive, easy to use vacuum set up that i can take my product to the next level with.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
check out www.extractionexperts.com they got one for 300.00, your not really going to find one brand new for much cheaper. look around local science stores and stuff of that nature.

they also got a hand brake bleeding pump and chamber for 150 i think

thanks midwest. do you know if the hand pump works well? it says that it attains and holds a vacuum of 27" Hg with just a few squeezes of the handle whereas the pump attains and holds a vacuum of 29" Hg. Is there a big difference between the two that would affect the quality of the purge? again im not going to be doing anything more than an oz or so at a time, more frequently in the 7-14 gram region.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
to be honest with heat and smearing very thin and flat im sure a hand pump would be fine. but if you got big ass globs that you need to move butane threw than the electric vac would be the way to go

whodare

Veteran
Break bleeder pump is 30 bucks or so at autozone...

Mason jars will hold the vacuum fine...

whodare

Veteran
No reason you couldnt run a half oz easy.

I usually pull the vacuum after heating it on a heating pad to aid it along, then set it over night

Trichgnomes

Kind of on topic, but I don't really care if it is cheap or not--

So I am in the process of getting some vac gear. Already picked out a vac oven, but I am stuck on the pump. Does anyone here use oil-free(dry) vacuum pumps? I've heard stories about vac oil making it's way into the chamber, something I would like to avoid at all costs.

Can it be 100% preventable? And can anyone recommend a good dry pump that will handle butane/ethanol vapors?

Somewhere deep in the middle of this thread greywolf swaps out his old dry vaccum pump for a new one. In fact both of the homebrew butane recovery extractor threads talk about dry vacuum pumps.

thanks hammalamma, me and my partner are trying to decide what to do! the food saver option is soo much cheaper, but i just dont feel that it will be sufficient. Thanks for those links those, that saves like a hundred bucks compared to the extraction experts package. I think $200 bucks is probably justifiable to be able to produce something noone else in the area can!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can you explain what exactly i would do with that? im not too technologically savvy, and im really not sure of what that is and how it works.

The threaded end connects to a water supply and the vacuum hose is attached to the barb that sticks out at 90 degrees.

Water flowing through a venturi in the tube, produces the vacuum. I've seen -28.5 mm/hg on a Nalgene vacuum aspirator running 45F water and have just picked up a couple of these for testing. I am planning on putting them on a manifold, with a recirculating pump and holding tank of ice water.

I plan to use it for cold boiling and our existing <100 micron AC evacuation pump for the hard finish.

Here is what they claim for performance:

If 25 °C (77 °F) water is used the aspirator is able to pull a vacuum of 3.2 kPa which is 0.46 psi or 32 mbar (24 mm/hg). If the water used it colder than 25 °C, it can pull an even stronger vacuum.

Generally when in use it can easily boil water at room temperature. [!manufacturer :Humboldt !]

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The ball valve on the Humboldt was always imperfect, became useless, and now the line has to be pinched off instead to protect from suckback. It's a calcium magnet that can't be set in acid. The frustrating vacuum connection is not as sensible as the barbed Nalgene.

And:
Meant to but then forgot to specify cold water on that faucet-operating step.