What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biological Control #4 Bacillus Thuringiensis israelensis

Bacillus thuringiensis serovar israelensis (Bti) is a group of bacteria used as biological control agents for larvae stages of certain Dipterans. Bti produces toxins which are effective in killing various species of mosquitoes, fungus gnats, and blackflies, while having almost no effect on other organisms. Indeed this is one of the major advantages of B. thuringiensis products in general is that they are thought to affect few non-target species. (from wikipedia)

You can apply mosquito dunks to your reservoirs or compost teas.

Commerical formulation are found in:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo of the Month Pic

Strain: Nightmare Kush
Grower: cheesey
Grow Thread: https://www.icmag.co
    Photo of the Month Pic Strain: Nightmare Kush Grower: cheesey Grow Thread: https://www.icmag.co
    144.3 KB · Views: 21

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would want to test the effects on compost tea organisms before recommending adding this to compost tea. I do not say this because I believe they would be actively effected by the Thuringiensis israelensis spores but I have found that adding anything to CT can have a 'smothering' effect causing die off or dormancy..

I have used Thuringiensis israelensis spores in the form of Vectobac (less expensive form in bulk) to very effectively control mosquitos. When the larvae eat the spore, it kills them. It does not effect other larvae like dragon fly which eat mosquitos.

rrog

Veteran
The BTI won't reproduce, as a side note. Predatory Nematodes like Steinernema feltiae will reproduce, unless the BTI bacteria is present. They do a hell of a job in combination, but neither will reproduce if used simultaneously.

Also BTI won't combat root aphids.

rrog

Veteran
I like the concept of using beauveria bassiana fungus from either Botanigard or Naturalis, but WOW is that stuff expensive. Worse than nematodes, even

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Actinovate is Streptomyces lydicus (bacteria). I'd be very interested to know if it is effect against PM

Well you're in luck. I just found some PM near my cool air intake and I have some Actinovate. Trial test this week,I'll let you know what becomes of it. I'm assuming it will be one of those things where continued applications are needed every few days..who knows.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might be good to split off to a new thread so people can use this one to discuss Bt.

M

MacGyver420

its in gnatrol as well; at a much higher percentage and in a more water soluble form, than the "mosquito dunks"

watering with gnatrol @ 1 tblspoon per gallon every other day for a few weeks WILL 100% eliminate all fungus gnats; as long as you treat every single pot; and leave no standing water ANYWHERE!

no more gnats at all; the stuff works but only if you use it right! i cannot stress that enough;

i had little to no success with the dunks; i just dont think there is enough bti in there.

I love all the edited posts. Who knew that BTi could be so controversial. sorry. Nobody even mentioned dragonfly mortality which keeps me from using it outside.

if you at gnatrol you might want to consider growing sundews they really love themselves some fungus gnats.