What's new

Best Animal for an Urban Enviroment

C

Chong_Irie

I was thinking of getting an animal that will give me poop I can use in the garden. Right now Im leaning toward a few rabbits. Anybody with experience please chime in!

urbanfog

I was thinking of getting an animal that will give me poop I can use in the garden. Right now Im leaning toward a few rabbits. Anybody with experience please chime in!

couple small chickens work great for my garden! Poop goes to the compost pile weekly

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first off would be worms

followed by rabbits as there manure can just be top dressed, chicken manure needs aging or composting.

I know you can feed rabbit manure to worms directly but does chicken poop need to be composted a little before it can be feed to worms?

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
most cities require a permit to house livestock/poultry. check it out before you get cited for a violation $$$.
at the very least they have regulations that you must follow.

chances are you don't want any extra visits from Johnny Law.

supermanlives

Veteran
dont know about chicken poo but i added some of my birds poo to the bin and it got hot. worms didnt like it. i removed that tray and am composting it .i wont add it directly anymore

C

Chong_Irie

I have a worm bin already.. it gave me some beatiful castings.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with rabbits? Should I look for a certain breed??

MrFista

Veteran
I got chickens - once you taste them eggs you wont go back to store bought. That's why I chose chickens - ferts plus food. They do a great job at both.

R

rick shaw

LOL...you don't need the animal to get the manure,EVERY place that raises livestock will gladly let you have all you want.Larger facilities advertise to get rid of it,bring some carrots/apples for the animals.

My Uncle in Germany raises rabbits,his garden rocks

Same with coffee grounds as a soil amendment/worm food,go to a Starbuck's they will give you the used coffee grounds.

C

CT Guy

I got chickens - once you taste them eggs you wont go back to store bought. That's why I chose chickens - ferts plus food. They do a great job at both.

Totally agree, but they can be kinda noisy in an urban environment (check with your neighbors first, and find out about local laws).

My chickens both stopped laying recently and I have yet to figure out why. :(

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
you could build and put bat boxes all around teh 'hood, then collect the poop. leave lots of decaying wood/plant material around to attract bugs for them to eat. maybe you can even get funding for it from the local government. about as likely as smelling a fart in a hurricane, just an idea.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran

its getting cold, daylight hours are getting low, they are conserving energy and fat for winter rather than laying.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
about as likely as smelling a fart in a hurricane, just an idea.

I got a very funny picture of somebody walking through a hurricane and suddenly raising their head sniffing thinking, "did I just smell a fart?"

Very funny stuff.:)

big_daddy

Totally agree, but they can be kinda noisy in an urban environment (check with your neighbors first, and find out about local laws).

We add light at this time of year to keep them laying. They need 14 hours of light to keep laying. I have a 60 watt bulb on a timer that extends the daylight for them to keep them laying.

Also your chickens could be molting.......they lose and replace their feathers and then resume laying. We raise both chickens and turkeys and go through this annually.

The other thing you may be experiencing is that they may have gone "broody". This is a condition where they have laid a clutch or so of eggs, then begin sitting them. Some breeds are hard wired to sit on their eggs to hatch them out while other breeds are out and out layers.

We have several different breeds and out of 30 chickens, only 3-4 of them go broody. When they are broody they will sit in the nest and not move for a couple of days at a time and only get up for a moment to eat,drink and shit.

I'm sure you're experiencing one or a couple of the 3 things I mentioned.......hope this helps.

b_d

Latest posts

Latest posts