What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 day sprout normal?

M

michael68

It took a little over 48 hours for the seed to actually germinate in the paper towel method but once I planted it about a quarter inch in the soil it took about 24 hours to pop up.

alamony2005

I would say that its normal. Some seeds i have put in a cup of warm water have sprouter their taproots in under a few hours. Keep up the forward motion and grow some trees =)

Oh yeah ask TONS of questions and research as much as possible on these forums..

M

michael68

I would say that its normal. Some seeds i have put in a cup of warm water have sprouter their taproots in under a few hours. Keep up the forward motion and grow some trees =)

Oh yeah ask TONS of questions and research as much as possible on these forums..
Thanks bro yeah, been trying to read a lot guides and grow journals, etc.

Idk if I'm going to grow these out or if they'll survive that long since they have to go outdoor and it's getting cold.

Just doing germination tests and making sure I can get past the seedling stage before I buy nice seeds. Spring time though ill be growing.

M

michael68

Just a few hours ago the cotyledons were visible and up and now the true leaves (dunno what they're called, the 2 blades that come in after the cotyledons?) are poking out the sides. So beautiful.

ibjamming

Veteran
Thanks bro yeah, been trying to read a lot guides and grow journals, etc.

Idk if I'm going to grow these out or if they'll survive that long since they have to go outdoor and it's getting cold.

Just doing germination tests and making sure I can get past the seedling stage before I buy nice seeds. Spring time though ill be growing.

That's the smartest thing I've read here in a long time! Starting seeds is the hardest part...if you can do that, the rest is a cake walk.

Practice until your seedlings consistently look like this at 10 days...and you'll be ready to go out and buy those $200 seed packs. Until then, you're gambling.

My seedlings used to look like shit, half would die and some batches all died. Then I discovered the magic of a proper mix, and proper water pH. In my LIMITED opinion...nothing beats a beautiful rich organic blend for starting seedlings.

Good luck to you! And just like a musician going to Carnegie Hall, growing great weed takes PRACTICE.

picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thats pretty good going for 10 days from seed IB, I doubt many look like that.

M

michael68

Thanks man and damn those are really healthy and big seedlings for 10 days.

The ones in the other pot are coming up this morning.

In my first pot I planted 2 seeds about 2 weeks ago and gave up on them and let the soil dry out and dug around the pot trying to find them. Then boom, this morning in my pot with already 2 seedlings I see 2 more popping up, pulled them though so there's room.

ibjamming

Veteran
Thats pretty good going for 10 days from seed IB, I doubt many look like that.

Thanks GMT...

ALL my seedlings look like that. I've got it wired. I can do it in the finest rich organic soil, a "hot" mix, or in a sterile perlite/vermiculite Hempy Cup feeding it 1/4 strength.

You MUST get the conditions right...when you do, they "literally grow them selves"! Imagine that!

Water pH (and of course amount) is the KEY...again, in my limited experimentation.

You can do it too...just get the conditions right.

Hempy Cup seedlings fed 1/4 Maxibloom...they looked so burnt and shitty that I almost threw them away...

picture.php

But after 2 weeks...they looked like this.

picture.php

These ended up outside in late Sept and made a few grams of bud.

Water is the key to a seedling. And a little food.

The very best thing to start a seed in...of course in MY opinion...is 1/3 peat, 1/3 compost or a GOOD potting mix, and 1/3 perlite. Those pictures I posted before were of that mix. It's my favorite seedling mix. Then they go into Hempy Buckets...

M

michael68

atm I'm using Kelloggs potting soil, real good stuff imo, organic and full of lots of goodies. And I'm using regular well water.

When do you recommend I give them their first feeding? I have some Fox Farm nutes laying around.

First day (yesterday)

28a2lvc.jpg

ibjamming

Veteran
It looks a little "woody" to me, but if you know it's good soil, use it.

Check the pH of your well water. Get it down to 6.5 or so. I'll bet it pretty high. It's also probably got a high EC already...300 maybe? It depends where you live. Don't feed anything for a week, until it's got a few sets of leaves, then you can go 1/2 strength for a week then full. Keep light close and don't over water.

Good luck!

M

michael68

It looks a little "woody" to me, but if you know it's good soil, use it.

Check the pH of your well water. Get it down to 6.5 or so. I'll bet it pretty high. It's also probably got a high EC already...300 maybe? It depends where you live. Don't feed anything for a week, until it's got a few sets of leaves, then you can go 1/2 strength for a week then full. Keep light close and don't over water.

Good luck!
Ya it does seem pretty woody but moving my hand through it, it seemed like there was some good "soilish" composition. I'll have to get a pH tester and stuff for my water though.