What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

of all the things you've lost... do you miss your mind the most?

Hephaestus

Think it's official... Lost my mind... Stress lately has been insane... Ended up admitting myself to the hospital psych ward last week... As my brain just stopped working right...

So Now I'm seriously high on some ativan - trying to calm the nerves a bit... Friend brought buy a bowl of some wild ass kush strain... Have hardly been able to move since...

And I still can't relax... Trying to chill on the couch, lil GNR in the background...dogs piled on top... and i'm vibrating....

How the hell is one supposed to relax after they've hit the breaking point???

ka0tik_kreati0n

♥-_-~Praying the Lord my soul to keep~-_-&#9
Veteran
I am so sorry you are going through that. I have personal experience in that department, been there done that kinda thing.
All I can say is just keep on trucking, fake it till ya make it. you can feel completely dead on the inside, and keep going. I cant tell you to snap out of it, or get better, all I can do is send you positive vibes that you can go on and recover from this little setback. Maybe its what you've been needing in order to make a lifestyle change.(if thats applicable)
i know im going on , but I have felt exactly as you've described...

weedhead

You should try natural stuff like meditation, yoga, etc. Whatever problems/stress you are having needs to be addressed by you. The ativan does not seem to be working for you anyway and in my experience benzodiazepines only masked my problems. Once the prescription is gone the problems come back. I know that this may not be comforting to hear but in my opinion recognizing what I have just told you is the first step in getting past whatever is bothering you. You have got to work through the stuff in your mind and deal with it if you want to be sane.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
i know it's hard but you're taking a step and reaching out. It would be productive for you to do the same in your "real life" and find someone to help you. It's tough and sometimes we need help. I'm sorry you're going through this, if you don't find out and deal with the root of your anxiety problems, they aren't going to go away. There isn't enough ativan, klonopin in the world. I can't remember the study but it showed that people on benzo's for axiety see the return of symptoms like 75% of the time when they cease taking the meds. With DBT or CBT it's more like 25% or something.

You can take all the meds in the world but if you're not in some kind of therapy to deal with the true problems then it's not going to change.

I hope you the best man

Smiley

BTW.... as long as you keep talkin here, we'll keep listening.

Hephaestus

LMAO this is canuckistan man :) Socialized healthcare... Yup need a shrink - booked in to see the emergency outreach shrink tomorow... the Psych team... well - they still haven't returned my call from wednesday... Told its 2-3 weeks...

Hard to sit and do yoga/anything/read/watch the tube - soon as I start I loose interest and want to do something else...

Scared to go for a drive anywhere, cuz I can't pay enough attention... Tried taking the dogs for a walk, bad idea - big fatty ran off... Thought i'd have an aneurism... And I shoulda known going in she would... Wifes got me locked out of the kitchen (something about destroyed kettles, pots, and a broken chair) - so just bouncing around trying to entertain myself and relax... Yeah yeah... deep breath in ... controled exhale - if I hear it again I'm gonna snap...

H

Hal

Yeah....talk therapy is very beneficial. Living in this crazy world of ours, how can negative shit NOT build up to the breaking point on occasion?

Unless, of course, you're an insensitive malicious bastard type. Those fuckers got it made.

Only way to jettison the negative junk is to talk it out, preferably with a skilled professional who has been educated to spot our little (or large) problem points.

Keep at the recovery dude, and good luck with it. :)

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
LMAO this is canuckistan man :) Socialized healthcare... Yup need a shrink - booked in to see the emergency outreach shrink tomorow... the Psych team... well - they still haven't returned my call from wednesday... Told its 2-3 weeks...

Hard to sit and do yoga/anything/read/watch the tube - soon as I start I loose interest and want to do something else...

Scared to go for a drive anywhere, cuz I can't pay enough attention... Tried taking the dogs for a walk, bad idea - big fatty ran off... Thought i'd have an aneurism... And I shoulda known going in she would... Wifes got me locked out of the kitchen (something about destroyed kettles, pots, and a broken chair) - so just bouncing around trying to entertain myself and relax... Yeah yeah... deep breath in ... controled exhale - if I hear it again I'm gonna snap...

Didn't think of canada health care. bummer. Yoga, meditation etc.... not a possibility with an anxious depression... where you're depressed as shit but you're not in bed instead your pacing and paranoid. Impossible to focus, like reading moby dick at the indy 500.

This might be hard, I don't know your situation; but if you are having problems like this, any fancy psychiatrist worth their salt would tell you that first you need to cut off the stimulus in your life that is contributing. You get amped up and shaky adrenalin from watching a UFC fight then it's a sure bet it would help you right now to lay off for a while. It's totally okay to hide out while you're waiting to talk to someone.

try not to compound problems by drinking. it's self medicating but in the wrong direction.

When you get worked up to the point of crying you just need to try and take 10 deep breaths. I'm not talking that bullshit fucking figure of speech, I'm talking take your time and a little effort to breath in deep through your nose and out through your mouth. Huge ass breaths. it took me a while till I could get past 5 without going back to breakin shit.

Man, I've been there....... remember, it's hard to be unhappy while blowing bubbles... :) Think of something that's impossible to detest.... like yourself but not all the guilt.

we're all fucked in the head to some degree and it helps to see the crazy things you share with other people instead of what you feel you lack.

Is the health situation bad up there?

Cheers
Smiley

Hephaestus

Health care up here is handled by rationing to funding... Goverment tosses trillions of dollars out to the hospitals, they cover their needs, hire their management... And whats left gets divvied up between what surguries/etc they decide they can afford to do...

Thats why many of us up here want a more US system... Private hospitals paid on the public model... Goverment picks up the bill and pays X for a heart transplant... doesn't matter if its to a public hospital or a private one... Health care dollars need to follow the patient, not create the system...

Yeah turned pretty much everything off... quiet isn't helping just gets my brain going... focusing on a project kinda works, but it's limited - bounce all over hells half acre... Reading a book just aint happening (tried to read the little one a story - think that page got re-read about 8x before I figured out I had read it all before).

Tried to play with power tools in the garage... That was bad... luckily lots of fire extinguishers on hand...

perhaps pacing is the least of my evils...gets energy out...

Perpetual Nooch

Thats why many of us up here want a more US system..

I'm sorry that you're going through some problems right now. I hope you get the help you need. By this statement I can tell you have truly lost your mind.

Come on, many people want to pay twice as much for half the care? Many people want to lose everything if they are unfortunate enough to get a serious illness? Many people want to be turned down by insurance companies for life saving treatments?

All kidding aside, you're wrong about how the system works. In Canada, they do send you to wherever there is the best care, and then pay for it. Your case is obviously not a life threatening emergency, and as such wouldn't receive priority.

You are always free to go on your own and seek out any shrink you want, and it will still be covered

CmdrKeen

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I understand where your coming from. Sometimes you just can't help but lose it. It helps me to sit back and try to reevaluate your situation, and as others have said fake it till you make it. Sending good vibes your way.

CK

Hephaestus

I'm sorry that you're going through some problems right now. I hope you get the help you need. By this statement I can tell you have truly lost your mind.

Come on, many people want to pay twice as much for half the care? Many people want to lose everything if they are unfortunate enough to get a serious illness? Many people want to be turned down by insurance companies for life saving treatments?

All kidding aside, you're wrong about how the system works. In Canada, they do send you to wherever there is the best care, and then pay for it. Your case is obviously not a life threatening emergency, and as such wouldn't receive priority.

You are always free to go on your own and seek out any shrink you want, and it will still be covered
No... I have not lost my mind... I have used canadian and US health care (on my own dime). In canada the money feeds the system... the goal of the system is self perpetuation. To achieve that they need to maintain minimum standards...

What I'd love to see is for canada to retain its government pay system - but open it up... Our doctors are private enterprises who bill the government; they provide their own facilities and attract their own patients... What we need is for the government to give us the right to seek help where we feel appropriate... If thats at The foothills hospital, or DrBudGreenGenes clinic - so be it - but either one gets paid to do the procedure needed - government shouldn't be paying for the hospitals/infrastructure, the infrastructure needs to live off the avails of it's productivity... Y'know that whole capitalist system...

But if you'd rather believe any privatization is the end of our system, you should pull your head outta the sand... Its happening every day... But they don't want you to know about it... The first private hospital that starts openly accepting any patient - no extra fees - will have a long lineup at its door...

Our health system is focused on rationing, not patient care... We need to focus on providing the best patient care, not how to do it cheaply... Let the hospitals figure out how to make a $ and pay for those rembrandts in the lobby - not just decide it's their right to get those because they're the "health care system"

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you don't mention what your problems are and that's OK, usually it's a lot more than one issue that gets a guy to the point where you sound like you are now. If you have 7, 8 even 10 problems you can never even begin to solve them all at once but you might look at them in awe and fear of the entity they have become, in most minds it becomes hard to separate the issues and they become the monster than manifests itself into depression, once there most folks become powerless to make an intelligent assault on the problems individually.......

take a look at your problems Heph & pick the easiest/simplest one to resolve, ignore all other distractions and solve that single issue.

the thinnest thread of hope can carry you over the deepest chasm of depression if you just don't let go.......

C

cyberwax

A forest is where you travel to find yourself, often; paradoxically by getting lost.

whiterabbit9

Veteran
brother I lost my mind a while ago (I'm only in beggining 20s)

I'm still pushing to achieve my goals and dreams

your not alone, things will get better if you want them to

I suggest meditation and yoga also, healthy foods, taking it easy

good luck

1G12

My suggestion would be to involve yourself in some kind of a vigorous exercise program. Like, start running and or hiking up and down steep hills. Some research has suggested that for some people, this is actually a better stress reliever than any sort of medication you can take. Give it a try. There are running clubs you can join if you need some group motivation. I always feel nice and relaxed after a good workout. And, what the heck, it’s good for your health anyway…never know what long term use of pills will do to ya.