What's new

Any Cigar Aficionados

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I've always enjoyed the smell of cigars and pipe tobacco. My grandfather smoked a pipe for most of his life and he will always be remembered with a pipe in his mouth. I also had a sociology teacher that smoked a pipe and I could always smell him smoking long before I could see him. I have a neighbor that smokes cigars on occasion and the smell is just captivating.

I don't have much experience with cigars and just yesterday read an extensive beginners tutorial on cigar types and etiquette.

We do have a cigar shop in town and am considering checking it out.

Any recommendations for a first time cigar?

desant

Veteran
Me me me

Love cigars ever since i visited the Caribbean...

Right now cant afford real ones so i buy a pack of 5 "half coronas" for a fiver at the supermarket, which are pretty good

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
ask the old guy behind the counter, i guarantee he'll point you in the right direction :joint:

ArcticBlast

1G12

Hey Sam

Try a Hoyo Excaliber or a Cohebo to get started...they're pretty decent. I'm sure there are better ones that I am not familiar with. There used to be a truck driver guy around here that seemed to really know his stuff about this subject...."twistedtrucker" or something like that? Not sure if he's still around or perhaps he has a new handle but, you might get lucky and get some help from that guy.

Cigars are kinda like wine. Maybe you're a Ripple kind of guy, and maybe you're going to be a $100 a bottle guy. I wouldn't ask blindly here. Go to the cigar shop and tell the guy behind the counter where you're at. He'll fix you up. Enjoy.

Hey Sam,

I've got about 20 years of FINE cigar smoking experience...I think a cigar thats done right (manufactured by hand, the right filler, binder and wrapper tobaccos, and aged well) does something for your soul...something wonderful. High quality cigars are almost like our (collectively) favorite plant, soooo many flavors and strengths.

Sorry for rambling.

If you want a top notch first cigar, but don't want to pay a super-premium price...I would recommend the following choices:

Padron 2000
(around $3-$4, In my opinion and most of the cigar industry, Padron is as good as it gets. Padron's '26 & '64 anniversary lines have won "cigar of the year", the past three years in a row, and a total of 8-10 "cigar of the year" awards over the last 15 years. Most of Padron's 'wares have this immaculate "chewy-chocolate" flavor that is well defined for ANY cigar.)

Diesel Unholy Cocktail
(About $6. Be careful...this stick is the epitome of "full-flavor"!!! I smoked my first Diesel about 4 months ago and it was so stout it made my hair feel like it was floating about a half-inch off of my scalp. LOL. Seriously though, this is a damn-good cigar...instantly moved into my "5 favorite cigars" list after smoking my first one.

Nub 464 Maduro
(About $6. "Aawwww, it's so cute.....", don't be fooled by the looks of this one. A high-quality cigar in every aspect, especially flavor.

There is a start...any one of those will provide you with a memorable first-time smoke. Be sure to post your experience when convienient, I'm very interested to see what you think about ANY cigars that you smoke.

Be good.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
yeah i bookmarked a bunch of these, thanks guys :joint: if anything they'll be nice gifts

ArcticBlast

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey Arctic, thats the price for the box in which there are 24 cigars, so 10.42 a piece or so.

I would imagine most cigar smokers don't smoke every day, probably more like 3 or so a week.

Unless you live in the US, try a Cubano Romeo y Juleita. Savor it over about an hour with however much Glenlivet 21 yr Archive it takes you to get through the session.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Dominican Cohiba's are over priced. This thread has inspired me, I'm going to pull out a RP Vintage 1990 today for a good smoke. Right after smoking a Snowdog BX 1 fatty. Thanks Rez!
Best thing is, they've been in the humi for at least 6-12 months. I really like Bolivar's too.

grapeman

Veteran
I smoke Camacho cigars.
http://camachocigars.com/our-brands/premium/camacho-corojo/
churchill size. maduro.

I had a business in central america 15 years ago and I started smoking at that time. My favorite was the Partagas Lusitania, Bolivars and Trinidad among several other cubans. When I stopped doing business down there I searched for replacement cigars and settled on the Camacho. The reason is the Corojo wrapper used. It is from cuban seed and strong and flavorful. Not for everyone.

The dirty little secret is that although cuba still produces some of the best tobacco, Cuba no longer produce the best cigars. Inconsistant. One in the box smokes and draws well, while 3 others don't draw at all.

But people alway think what they can't get is more desirable and better then what then can get. Not true in the world of cigars.

Free enterprise still rules, and where good cigar makers can make the money they deserve or command on the free market, that is where they will flock to. Can't do that in Castro's Cuba. When that happens, cuba will once again make a consistently fine cigar, like thysy used to.

S

Seismic

Sometimes I like to enjoy a Perdomo Edicion De Silvio or Perdomo ESV91:smokey:

ROJO145

Veteran
Macanudos & Cohibas,here and there.

El Cubano,only,of course. :D

Must be nice gettin the real Cubans,the Cohibas ya get here arent Cuban and lame by comparison.La Gloria Cubana is a little cigar company with excellent smokes,try a Wavell.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
What do you guys think of the Opus X? I've got 4-5 in the humi, at least 8 months now. Wanted to wait a year but... might be time to try one.
Any opinions?