What's new

Should I add dolomite to ffof?

O

ocean99

I've seen threads where people burn seedlings/clones in ffof and I'm wondering if I should add anything to prevent this from happening? Gonna mix in half a bag of ewc for good measure....

1G12

I like to make a 50/50 mix of FFOF & an organic seed germinating product. This makes the FFOF way less hot and it works awesome!!! In 16 oz cups the seeds pop up & grow very nicely for about 2 weeks on only water...then transplant. Never fails!!

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
YES!
You also need to add worm castings and perlite.
Use it like ProMix in LC's Mix recipe.
Burn1

Frozenguy

Veteran
I have germed hundreds of seeds in FFOF/FFLW mix. I haven't attempted planting directly in FFOF yet, mainly because I just dont like FFOF as a stand alone.

I have never seen any burning of seedlings or clones, but growth later needed outside nutes and additional amendments.

Once I started adding EWC and dolomite lime, my "late in flower" pH problems went away and it was harder to burn my plants.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
YES!
You also need to add worm castings and perlite.
Use it like ProMix in LC's Mix recipe.
Burn1

Listen to BurnOne - I did and it saved my plants.

I added 1 Tablespoon of lime per gallon of medium, medium being the combined soil/perlite/castings/ etc.

BigInCali

I mix FFoF with my own potting soil, which is made of perlite, generic bagged soil, laama shit compost. It works great. Using FFoF alone will does not drain well. Ive done it.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what I've done before is add 1/2 a cup of lime, some rock dust ( azomite ) and some other stuff I can't remember

I would not add that much EWC.. EWC is fine, but as they say, just because you can doesn't mean you should. if you add that much EWC make sure and add more perlite

Metatron

just got me some FFOF too man, friend had the burn problem before as well, I'm going to mix it in LC Mix 2.

The buffers in the FFOF will be used up mid way through flower. That's about the same time pelletized dolomite lime starts breaking down and buffering your soil plus it adds Ca and Mg. So yes the lime will help. To help with burning mix one bag FF LW with the FFOF. The LW will also add bene's to your soil that will make your roots very happy.