What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Attic Grow!?!?!?

kingjobber

Hello all. I was thinking of doing an attic grow(its the only option I really have). Here is my concern....how do you combat the insanely hot temperatures that come along with an attic? :dunno: Any ideas? suggestions? proven methods? I really need some help here..:prettyplease:

jmansweed

I had an attic grow. It was tough to work out.
- insulated, sealed grow box
- air-cooled light w/ exhaust
- high-output exhaust (for grow-box) w/ an intake bringing air from a cool area

I found simply pulling air through the box itself kept things relatively cool in comparison to the attic. My intake was from an air conditioned room below.

1G12

....how do you combat the insanely hot temperatures that come along with an attic? :dunno: Any ideas? suggestions? proven methods? I really need some help here..:prettyplease:

Sometimes you just have to resort to growing during the Winter/cooler months.

sorry 1G12...you can do it year round......i do. small, nothing big, but steady.

like menioned before.....i use my house ( ground level ) and its duct work with central heat/air as a climate control, as well as a passive intake.

a vortex 8" sucks thru my 2x 400w aircool HPS......and in the veg chamber, a 4" inline sucks out from my 2x 4 bulb T5's

i hear some guys, depending on the height of attic, a window a/x unit can be installed to climate control.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Attics are more susceptible to erratic changes in outdoor temperature, so take that into account. Bugs are another problem. If I were to do an attic again, I'd be pumping in AC and do it in a big fat grow tent with filtered inputs.

I had to put a window AC in my attic, but it was a good excuse to seal and light proof the window too. I built a rough 2x2 frame and then covered and sealed it with Reflectix, layed white linoleum and sealed that to the reflectix with duct tape for an airtight seal, the door is a reflectix panel with Velcro all around. its tricky in the summer because ambient temps can hit 100f in the attic, so the AC was a priority, I also have 2 365cfm blowers that suck the heat out thru the 2 400W/with cool tubes. if it gets really hot I add an additional exhaust fan.
in the summer i only do a few grows trying to use only 1 light for heat reasons, I do my heavy grows in the winter when all i need is a little electric heater that runs when lights are out. I do DWC so I also run tank heaters in my buckets during winter.

Attic grows are great!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts