What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Punto Rojo from The Landrace Team

OldCoolSativa

I had posted a couple pics in a thread about The Landrace Team, from whom I sourced a couple packs of punto rojo last fall. That thread is gone so I figured I'd journal the grow here.

Eight seeds were popped on December 8, and I got a 75% germination rate. All showed very thin first leaves.

Here are the 7-week-old seedlings, arranged them from tallest to smallest, labeled PR1 to PR6, right before I topped them and took cuts.

attachment.php

As the seedlings developed, three distinct phenotypes presented. PR1, the biggest and most vigorous plant, is suspected of having some skunk/cripi genes in it due to leaf morphology and display of hybrid vigor. PR2 is the most interesting to me with strong growth and easy rooting, with thin-leaves that suggest it's a highland sativa. The other four plants are fairly similar in structure.

Some people may disagree with me, but I use leaf morphology as the distinguishing characteristic when looking for 100% landrace sativas. Five of these six plants have leaves that are broader than some punto rojo x mangobiche of CBG origin that I grew recently, which leads me to suspect there may be some cripi genes in there. However, I vegged those PRxMB plants in warm summer temps outside, while these PR from TLT were veged in cool temperatures; this can affect leaf morphology. I'm hoping they all show themselves as 100% cripi-free sativas as they flower.

I transferred six (mostly) rooted clones into 2-gallon hempy buckets on Feb 10 and put them under 12/12 using 640 W of COBs in my flower tent. Media is coco coir with 30% perlite, nutes are Jacks 321 diluted about 20%. I'm pinching but not cutting tops as they grow to control height. Here's what they looked like when they went into flower.

attachment.php

Some of these clones weren't properly rooted when they went into flower, and the tent gets cold at night, so it's going to be a slow start. I also put a couple clones of my 18-week Angel's Breathe f2 haze plant that will serve as a test bed for pollen from a few different males, including her dad. More pics when they start to look more interesting. Hopefully the smoke from one or more of the punto rojo plants rivals that hazey Angel's Breathe f2.

Attachments

• PR by TLT 7 weeks from seed.jpg
    PR by TLT 7 weeks from seed.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 102
  • PR by TLT F0.jpg
    PR by TLT F0.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 103

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Probably still worth a repro, be easier to ascertain lineage through leaf shape with more numbers in a stable environment.

In for the win either way! :lurk:

burningfire

Veteran
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the leaf shape of such young plants. I think it's a fallacy that sativas can't have wider leaflets as seedlings/young plants. At least there's plenty of examples against that.

thank you lester, I have a keen interest in landrace strains, i have been breeding some malawi's myself for a couple of years in norcal.

OldCoolSativa

~ 4 weeks

~ 4 weeks

Here we are almost 4 weeks into 12/12. Two of the clones I transferred weren't properly rooted and they stalled at about 2" high for a couple weeks and are comparative runts, although I still have the seed plants and they are vigorous. So the runts are my fault, not a problem with the plants.

Looks like only one male out of six so far. They are stretching like mad and I've let the three largest grow through the LED COB lights in an effort to limit stretch. I expect they'll stretch until week 8 and all will go 18+ weeks. Not much in the way of aromas yet. I still have the seed plants going but will cull them soon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PR by TLT PR5 F25.jpg
    PR by TLT PR5 F25.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 83
  • PR by TLT PR4 F25.jpg
    PR by TLT PR4 F25.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
  • PR by TLT PR3 F25.jpg
    PR by TLT PR3 F25.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PR by TLT PR2 F25.jpg
    PR by TLT PR2 F25.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Sprouted on the 4th day 1/7/17
    Sprouted on the 4th day 1/7/17
    87.1 KB · Views: 86
  • PR by TLT PR6 F25.jpg
    PR by TLT PR6 F25.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 88
  • PR by TLT F25.jpg
    PR by TLT F25.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 102

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
They look awesome! Definitely recommend leaning them all sideways and leveling out to a low even canopy. Some bread twisty ties and rig something up. Raise them lights higher too lol. Give them some low light high humidity healing days lol.

Oldyoungrower93

I really like you're growing style man, those are hempy's, cool. At first glance I thought it was a modified Flood and drain system, wow no telling what kinda results you'll get.

OldCoolSativa

~ 5 weeks

~ 5 weeks

Thanks DY and OYG93. Yep, those are 2-gallon hempy buckets. The elbows on the drains keep fungus gnats out of the coco coir/perlite media.

Six females, zero males. No stud or F2s this round, but I'll hit the girls with frozen pollen from some of my favorite males, including a CBG-derived punto rojo x mangobiche. So I'll have some nice PR x (PRxM) seeds to play with.

PR#2, the highland pheno, is a beast, and grew about 10" above the lights before she started slowing down. After 5 weeks of flower, I think most of the stretch will be over in another 1-2 weeks. I let the three tallest plants grow above the lights for about a week, then I trained the three largest tops over. They're starting to shoot feathery pistils in abundance and setting up for that classic, wonderful sativa bud structure. Smells are getting nice on the stem rubs too. Exotic. Piney. Slightly sweet. Distinctly Colombian.

OldCoolSativa

~ 8 weeks

~ 8 weeks

Two of these plants went herm in a big way, with entire branches producing male flowers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

PR1, the most vigorous plant and the one with chubby leaves in veg that I suspected of having skunk genes. She's showing the classic sativa Christmas tree structure and classic wispy sativa buds, so I guess she's legit. Not much in the way of smells developing yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PR1 cola F56.jpg
    PR1 cola F56.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 80
  • PR1 F56.jpg
    PR1 F56.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80
  • PR4 herm week 8.jpg
    PR4 herm week 8.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 87
  • PR6 herm week 8.jpg
    PR6 herm week 8.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 97

OldCoolSativa

PR2 will most likely be the keeper if she remains sexually stable. Skinniest leaves in veg and flower with that slight arcing droopiness that suggests to me a highland sativa, showing much more resin and aroma than the other plants. Smells are primarily pine and lime/floral. My best guess is 18 weeks for this girl.

attachment.php

attachment.php

PR3 is the bushy one that looks like it will have a poor calyx/leaf ratio. Smells and resin haven't really developed well yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PR2 F56.jpg
    PR2 F56.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PR2 cola F56.jpg
    PR2 cola F56.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PR3 F56.jpg
    PR3 F56.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 84
  • PR3 cola F56.jpg
    PR3 cola F56.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 78

Limeygreen

Veteran
Fucking gorgeous Randy.

I hope charlie brings her back out, Rafa keeps saying being works on but that is for years already so I am hoping it is not due to difficulties their delay.