What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Processed Food/Pharmacueticals.

thaicat

I have my own opinions but perhaps I've not read the right books or articles. In my mind, "The Powers that Be" have long since poisoned us, used us as Guinea Pigs and exploited us in each and every way they can. As a reference, I'm sure I'm considered a conspiracy theorist in my small circle, least by a few.

I'm absolutely open minded and I welcome concrete proof that I'm wrong on this. Please, if you have educated proof that I've been wrong all along, share that with me and make me believe your views/facts...

Hubbleman

Veteran
Yea yea i know all the supermarket food has been tampered with, but what u gonna do? Dont eat? :)

thaicat

Grow your own? Petition every evil politician...Consider what our Founding Fathers would do? That would just be for starters...

I know, lay passive and things will invariably change for the better. In my lifetime, that's been the premise for the last 30 years. I see it as going from bad to grave danger. I was just challenged (via pm) and basically called insane because of my thoughts. I simply want someone to change my mind or lay some hard evidence that I'm wrong. Virtually everything in our everyday lives is geared toward Cancer or some other debilitating disease.

I want to sleep at night, fully knowing the odds ain't stacked against me.

Hubbleman

Veteran
One interesting fact: antiperspirant deodorants : sweat, is your one way your body gets rid of toxins and free radicals. Those deodorants cancel that ability

thaicat

Another interesting fact. Apparently, Jersey Shore is apparently the new norm. We won't even get into that Teen Pregnancy show on Mtv. Just keep devouring mainstream media and things will inevitably get better.

Every goddamned person is "special" and don't you dare call the idiots out for who and what they are, eh? Everything will be just fine, I'm sure. Just hold still, this won't hurt but for a minute...

thaicat

Basically. I ain't here to battle with anyone. I just want to feel safe in eating things in my local grocery. I want to drink my tap water, kowing I'm not being poisoned. I want to believe the FDA and all other Government agencies are on my side.

I won't sleep tonight without knowing I'm all wrong about this.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
You don't have to look too hard to find articles that say food additives are super bad for you.

Just off the top of my head certain food colorings cause great things like hyper activity, behavioral problems, head aches, cancer etc...

Max Headroom

Veteran
I just want to feel safe in eating things in my local grocery. I want to drink my tap water, kowing I'm not being poisoned. I want to believe the FDA and all other Government agencies are on my side.

sorry, but that's impossible.

here is their business model:

- slowly poison everybody with pseudo-food and oil-based chemicals.
- sell them expensive, patented (also mostly oil-based) pharmaceuticals to stall (not cure) their ailments*
- milk them dry until their slow and painful death

*happy coincidence: the side-effects make you sick in other ways for which you need even more patented pharmaceuticals.

should anybody object (FDA, grass roots campaigns): bribery, threats and character assassination are tried and tested instruments that are guaranteed to work.

bonus round: have charity drives to collect even more public money under the pretense of "finding a cure".

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not all food additives are evil but far too many preservatives are added to increase shelf life and too many products bulked up with water.

The Government is considering forcing food manufacturers to add folic acid to bread to prevent babies being born with spina bifida.

Mandatory fortification could prevent at least 300 babies a year from developing neural tube defects, of which the UK has the highest rates in Europe and spina bifida is the most common.

Mandatory fortification is already used more than 50 countries, including the USA and Canada, where research suggests it reduces the rate of neural tube defects by 25 to 50 per cent.

The public has come to expect cheap food over quality , 25% of income spent on food in the 1920,s is now around 10% , if you buy a frozen lasagne for less than a pound you can hardly be surprised if its shite , or contains horsemeat.

Good food is still there , at a premium price that most cannot , or will not , pay.

Hubbleman

Veteran
And what is it here in UK they selling meat contaminated with all kinds of shit: horse meat and even non eatable stuff like cow brains and stomach and other left overs

Hubbleman

Veteran
Thats the reason i dont go to burger king, their meat quality is shit

McDonalds SOME of their meat is ok

soil margin

Veteran
Yea yea i know all the supermarket food has been tampered with, but what u gonna do? Dont eat? :)

This is a link for a club in Florida but these groups exist all over the country and my family buys food from one here in CA. Amish cooperatives raise pastured meat and dairy that is unprocessed and completely free of any chemicals, hormones, etc. The cooperatives provide food to the clubs which then sell it to individual customers/members.

The food is expensive but it's also some of the highest quality and most pure sources of nutrition that are available without doing it yourself.

http://www.myhealthyfoodclub.com/

If you want to put money in the pockets of the people who are taking care of the land and anyone eating off of it, consider supporting any nearby Amish food clubs.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Last time I looked, it was your responsibility for what you put in your mouth.

I'm pretty sure the FDA's culpability goes as far as keeping you from ingesting something that will kill you within a couple of days.

After that, you're on your own.

I feel this is a reasonable assumption to operate on.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have no problem whatsoever with eating horse , as long as it is labelled as such , far too tasty to be wasted in pet food.

God alone knows what goes into kebab meat . . .

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
A fun little factoid about food additives....

Often times the version of a food item sold in the US is worse then the same food item sold in other countries.

Example would be Kraft Mac n Cheese in US is made with yellow #5 dye, which is derived from petroleum, other countries like the UK have banned this food additive so their Kraft Mac n Cheese is a little better quality.

Another one is Subway uses yoga mat plasticizers in their fresh baked bread, that same plasticizer azodicarbonamide is banned in Singapore and if you get caught using it there they can throw you in jail for 15 years.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That yellow azo dye Tartrazine was originally used for dyeing cloth in the 1880,s , been used since in food as its marginally cheaper than suitable plant extracted colours.

If I remember correctly , there was a voluntary agreement in the UK a few years ago to remove it from most foodstuffs , as the EU would not allow us to ban it.

Hate the garish colours they add to many foods , along with the whiteners they add to bread that originated in washing powders.

And colouring haddock with quinolone yellow has always struck me as a bit mad.

dddaver

Veteran
I think the FDA became much like the DEA and most of those other 3 letter agencies in that they royally screwed up any good they ever tried to do. It just became a huge political mess.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last time I looked, it was your responsibility for what you put in your mouth.

I'm pretty sure the FDA's culpability goes as far as keeping you from ingesting something that will kill you within a couple of days.

After that, you're on your own.

I feel this is a reasonable assumption to operate on.

QFT

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Racked my brains trying to work out what Quantum Field Theory had to do with processed food and had to look it up.

Somehow missed that one despite years online.

Anyone googling for the Federation of European Motorcycle Associations will get entirely the wrong idea , possibly why we struggle to get members . . .