What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Notice That Fruit and Vegetables Have almost No Flavor Anymore?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
First of all, im drunk...
My girl and I shop at three different grocery stores and at a fruit stand. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Lately, I have noticed that fruit literally has next to no flavor anymore.
I have blackberries and strawberries in my fridge and pears and bananas on my counter, they all have ZERO flavor...
You CANT say that they are not in season because literally every fruit is in season now because of fast worldwide shipping...
I haven't tasted a real tomato in 30+ years! I remember going to my aunties house when I was a wee kid, getting out of the car of smell the pungent odor of tomatoes from her back yard, from the front yard! Now tomatoes not only have ZERO smell, but ZERO flavor...

THIS IS BULLSHIT...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
tomatoes have it the worst....

I buy sustainable organic and locally farmed fruits and veggies whenever I can, they are much better especially here in california. There is a stand at the farmers market in santa cruz which specializes in their own pluot hybrids, they are amazing. good shit is out there you just gotta look for it.

draztik

Veteran
krunchbubble I know exactly what your talking about. I'm telling you it's the GMO fruits and veggies, they have no flavor. Buy organic fruits and veggies you'll tell a difference instantly.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love tomatoes. I grew my own in my backyard for the first time last year. I had no idea what I had been missing. The plants I bought at the hardware store produced tomatoes with so much more flavor than the ones at the grocery store. I think the ones at the grocery store are bred for yield and shelf life, not flavor.

Cannavore

Veteran
I just stumbled upon this thread after eating the driest mango I have ever fucking had.

Now that I'm thinking about it I havent had a good batch of grapes or apples in a long time either. And the peaches I bought over the summer would spoil in DAYS.

Nifty_PoT

I think lots of the time they also harvest them (tomato's in particular) before they are nice n red/ripe.
They typically harvest when they go from green to yellow in the 'turning' phase. they then move on to a climate controlled facility for further ripening ... this is great for commercial growers as they dont lose product because its overripe/and they have more control ect, the downside, shit flavour /no flavour.

Try buying vine ripened tomatos/fruits labeled as pesticide free, if at all possible :D
ripening them to where they are red on the plant/ripe always produces superior flavour imo, sooo just grow your own would be the best solution , although not everyone have the time/space .

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

try health food stores and farmers markets, most sellers @ farmers market will allow you to sample their goods.......

as a sales pitch volume sellers might quote fast shipping times, those times likely don't include the 2-3 days it took to leave its origin nor does it include the 2-3 days it took to come to market once here. So 30 hours travel time might mean you're seeing 4 or 5 day old produce.

farmers market is usually as fresh as it gets, start buying there and familiarizing yourself w/some of the sellers and maybe start buying true select beef :)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

this looks just like candy on a vine.......

aaff747_zps3c3ddc85.jpg

N

noyd666

Australia is the same, tastless garbage, I grow my own tomatoes for the taste and knowing what is in them, vine ripened down here means there bred to last= tough skins tastless fruit, look nice sitting in the shop.lol a well formed turd might look good to until it hits the ground. farmers markets for local produce is the go down this end of the earth. I think the next generation of kids won't have a clue about nice tasting fruits etc.

ronbo51

Veteran
I think a few things contribute to bland flavor in fruits and veggies. Almost all seed selections are compromises between various factors. Most hybrids are bred for vigor, disease resistance, ripening times, ability to ship/hold, with flavor often suffering. Non hybrids were phased out due to disease susceptibility, lack of vigor, inability to hold and ship. Almost all current high yielding fruits and veggies are hybrids, and unless bred for specifically holding good flavor it will suffer. Another possibility is trace minerals getting used up and NPK ferts not allowing terpenes and flavanoids to fully develop. Harvesting too early is another(sound familiar?) factor affecting flavor. You can grow bitching produce in an all organic fired up soil but if the phenotype of tomato or carrot you are growing is not flavor all star than you are somewhat doomed from the start. I grow my own shit and some varieties just kind of suck.

hydrotek

Commercial food production stinks of death and misery and then we have the hungry...

Grow Your Own goes for everything including how we educate our kids to grow into the people we believe can make a difference.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
lol

try locally bred and grown organics

you know that methodology the hydro guys argue makes no difference

non

Veteran
yeah, logistics and commercially reliable but otherwise mediocre cultivars are to blame mostly imo.

idiit

Veteran
I think a few things contribute to bland flavor in fruits and veggies. Almost all seed selections are compromises between various factors. Most hybrids are bred for vigor, disease resistance, ripening times, ability to ship/hold, with flavor often suffering. Non hybrids were phased out due to disease susceptibility, lack of vigor, inability to hold and ship. Almost all current high yielding fruits and veggies are hybrids, and unless bred for specifically holding good flavor it will suffer. Another possibility is trace minerals getting used up and NPK ferts not allowing terpenes and flavanoids to fully develop. Harvesting too early is another(sound familiar?) factor affecting flavor. You can grow bitching produce in an all organic fired up soil but if the phenotype of tomato or carrot you are growing is not flavor all star than you are somewhat doomed from the start. I grow my own shit and some varieties just kind of suck.
ronbo51

well said. just like our preferred canna strains.

the nutritional value isn't there either. the nwo monsanto types are doing this deliberately and many countries are banning such organizations and their products for many very good reasons.

a lot of ppl don't realize that most so called organic produce no longer lists it's trace mineral content like they did back in the day.

UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991. 34,35 In contrast there is growing evidence that organic fruit and vegetables generally contain more nutrients than non-organic food.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/10587.php

^^ however, i've been chewing out the local organic guru (has the highest level organic certification in the region) because she does not list trace mineral content of her organic produce. trace mineral supplements in rock dust form are hard to chelate by the local microherd and the dirty truth of much of today's organic products is that they are still terribly deficient in trace minerals. sea-solids like sea-crop are readily available sources of thoroughly chelated trace minerals and the sea-solid threads wholly endorse the sea-solid supplements.

surfguitar

Go to the farmers market and be prepared to pay a premium :) You won't find any sort of quality fruit or vegetables in a supermarket even at whole foods for the most part.

Or grow your own :)

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
You can thank Monsanto/GMO for lack of flavour in your food. Everything from the USA is GMO now sorry to say.. If it's not GMO then it's the chemtrails that will get you lol headband 707

Latest posts

Latest posts