What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Severe COVID warning if you have a Thyroid condition

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A recent study published in September 2020 (see below) analyzed the relationship between Thyroid conditions (hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, hyperthyroidism, etc) and the severity of Covid infections.

Since it's common knowledge at this point that having health conditions such as Diabetes, obesity, or high blood pressure puts you at a much higher risk for severe Covid outcomes, it's not a surprise that this particular study DID in fact find a higher risk of severe Covid for people with Thyroid conditions.

The study concluded that having any type of Thyroid condition (either low or high thyroid) can both cause disregulation of the innate immune system response, leading to increased risk of infection and also increased severity of Covid. In addition, they concluded that people with Thyroid conditions have higher levels of proinflammatory cytokines, which can lead to more severe Covid outcomes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7387272/

Based on a contrite meta-analysis of available data, thyroid disease seems to be associated with an enhanced risk of severe COVID-19 infection. Several reasons can be proposed to explain this result. First, thyroid hormones were important in the regulation of innate immune response [9]. Therefore, excess or deficiency of thyroid hormones levels observed in thyroid disease will lead to dysregulation of innate immune response. Meanwhile, innate immune response were thought to be contributed the most in the pathogenesis of COVID-19 as it is the front lines of body defense system to fight against SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for causing COVID-19 infection. Dysregulation of innate immune response as evidenced by higher levels of neutrophil, increased levels of CD14+ monocytes and macrophages, decreased levels of NK cells, and increased levels of complement was significantly associated with severe COVID-19 infections [10]. Second, increased levels of proinflammatory cytokines such as TNF-? and IL-6 was observed in patients with thyroid disease [11,12]. Increased levels of these cytokines were also observed in patients with severe COVID-19 and correlates to the development of severe outcomes [13]. Finally, some thyroid patients, especially subacute thyroiditis were taking corticosteroids as their medications [14]. On the other side, meta-analysis showed that corticosteroid treatment in COVID-19 patients was associated with higher mortality, longer length of hospital stay, and higher rate of bacterial infections [15].

Patients with thyroid disease should hence be advised to take extra precaution to minimize risk exposure to the virus. Physicians should be engaged in close monitoring of thyroid disease patients with suspected COVID-19, for timely detecting signs of disease progression. Finally, the presence of thyroid disease shall be regarded as an important factor in future risk stratification models for COVID-19.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
anyone that had chemo or adiation haz an obliterated thyroid. nlittle or no function. most docz dont tell you that. if former cancer patient, get yer thyroid checked.

St. Phatty

My thyroid under-produces, possibly a result of nuclear testing in Nevada in the 1950's (that is credited with damaging children's thyroid at the time).

And, I got a very Novel i.e. STRANGE flu about 6 months ago.

Extremely Nauseous, with no vomiting. A 4 hour flu.

Guess we'll need more info to find out if that is a symptom of light duty Covid cases.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I'm guessing thyroid issues can indeed, plague a person with over/under functioning of thyroid as it's the regulator to all functions.

I'm hypothyroid and had it nuked 10 yrs ago. Probably thyroid damaged when I worked at medical center in Los Alamos for 4.5 years and hiked in canyons were they dumped materials during Manhattan Project.