What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contact! Seeds in soil for my first run

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The very next morning, and things are starting to improve. The little Serious kush is joining the party. They seem to like the Nitrogen. For some reason, even with all the additives they say you don't need, N helps.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice plants, look to be perking right up! Once they settle in and the soil starts working you will see some good growth and they will darken up. Just make sure your water ph is right.

Going to be a good grow!

thailer

:lurk: so this is why jeremy got on icmag? lol He doesn't like it when you bad mouth his business on here i guess.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When you buy their products, you get an email after they get delivered. They ask how they did, and I responded with my frustrations. I even mentioned they could see my yellowing plants on ICMAG. Is MileHighGuy who popped up after 6 years Jeremy, the owner? I said the owner ought to see the message I sent. My bitch is about their customer support, which I think is pretty lousey so far. Maybe the messages go straight to him.

If MileHighGuy is the owner Jeremy, he missed a huge opportunity to call me back after I had to hang up on his employee. He obviously hasn't looked at the stuff I have ordered either. Bad customer support may be a culture there, but I have not talked with the owner.

Yeah, stuff. Not for lack of trying. This is all crap you are supposed to use PER THEIR DAMN INSTRUCTIONS, when starting a pot.

There my be light my the tunnel. I have yet to talk with the owner there at Redbud, but I see my next grow coming together, and it will be different. I started buying their stuff before I knew about the BAS complete ready-to-go kit. They sell living soil already mixed. I know they are rivals, at least I hope so, as one stole the other's logo! And there may be other options.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
As for water - yeah I like my instrumentation! I am the guy who tries to drive with data, vs blindly following BS. New guy mistake.

Remote instrumentation to watch lung room, both tents, and one pot. This I can watch from the desk here:

Soil Ph between 6.5 and 6.8, I had to add oyster shell after my soil cooked a few weeks, cause the Ph was 6.0, and I have the instrumentation to measure this:

The PH of the tap is 7.6, pond a little lower. I can measure water also.

I have two Blumat water meters in pots, plus a toy remote shown in the first pic, that mostly lets me see worms crawl on the probe. It does sorta work though when they are not shorting it out. The Blumats I just shot are happy, as the watering yesterday made them go to around 40, and now they are halfway to 120, where they get more water. That will be tomorrow.

Last edited:

gizmo666

Maybe that's what's wrong
Your being over calculating lol
Jeez I open the tent water them take a pic and close the tent and that's it for another day no gadgets if the plants need anything my eyes tell me lols
That's why I don't go hydro just too much faffing about
Anyways glad to see your plants responding
Onwards and upwards

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yeah, it's just a fuckin weed. LOL, leave it alone and it will grow.

Edit 3/20: I am new at this and learning as I go. The readings in this post are what dry soil looks like. 40 is the max I want to see with top watering, before it is time to water again. So disregard what I say below, I was killing the roots.

Edit 2/26: So here is the next day late afternoon and the Blumats, numbers say it is time to water. I have calibrated my fingers with these probes and how the soil feels and weighs. When I put the bags on the SIP, these Blumats will be nice when it comes time to doing a dryout cycle.

I just talked with Chris at Redbud (my new vendor), who says the basic soil is starved of nutrients, so there we are. At least now I have a path besides scrapping the soil and starting over. He turned down me buying another 40 gal of his soil, and me doing a side by side in the other tent, cause he says he can fix this. I am adding nutrients... and stocking up on IPM for when that happens.

Tower, Tent 1 is ready to taxi to the runway for takeoff.

Last edited:

Fitzera

I'm with you man on wanting information. Once work picks up I'll probably be grabbing a few more toys myself, theyre just not at the top of my list right now.

As for the soil, I've heard some negatives about BAS but I've never used it so I can't say for myself. I have used other brands products with less than ideal results. Now I like to build my soil myself from amendments and inputs. That's a learning curve in itself, but I've been recycling my soil for a couple years now and my results are only getting better each time.

thailer

Which soil recipe of BAS did you buy? I think I get my best results from soil I make myself. There’s a worm farm nearby I buy casting from and it works excellent when I don’t have enough of my own to use. I bought Roots Organic Greenfield bagged soil and added some ewc, kelp and crab meal lightly for bloom and it’s been surprisingly growing plants in veg just with added ewc just as good as my homemade soil with just water.

Fitzera

Which soil recipe of BAS did you buy? I think I get my best results from soil I make myself. There’s a worm farm nearby I buy casting from and it works excellent when I don’t have enough of my own to use. I bought Roots Organic Greenfield bagged soil and added some ewc, kelp and crab meal lightly for bloom and it’s been surprisingly growing plants in veg just with added ewc just as good as my homemade soil with just water.

Do you screen you own castings? Or do you scrape from the top? I've let my bin go way too long, no matter what I try, there's too many worms to not scoop up and I don't actually want them in my pots.

So im planning on screening it once its warmer outside, I just haven't looked to see what the ideal screen size is from others experience.

thailer

I do screen it for worms with a 1/4 inch screen I had already. There’s some worm harvesters using five gallon buckets and screen if you like building stuff. My screen fits on a wheelbarrow and most of it goes right through and worms get caught in the screen for the most part. I use rice hulls, old soil and horse poop in a static style bin which is just a 20 gallon fabric pot. Once the level is half full, I screen and use.

Fitzera

Yeah I've got a tub that's about 1/3 full, maybe a bit more. Of course some of the food scraps have worked their way to the bottom so they're more composting than having the worms consume the slime. And there are large egg shells in there. Tye wife didn't know they needed to be crushed up.

But I just saw a YouTube video that was gold. Guy found a small bin made of mesh at an office store. The kind used for letters and files. Percect! I know what I'll he doing this weekend.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Midget lives matter, and these two just won't give up. They should get a bigger home today. One is the Serious kush seed I lost and didn't find until it came up under another one. I pulled it up, felt the tap root break, and here it is still. The other is a Serious Kush that never took off. Well, little guy is saying here I am. (edit: all AK47 accounted for and had one SK not accounted for).

A friend has a 2x4 tent that needs a better light. I can offload 2 of my plants to him. I am going to put 4 into flower in sips. The G x D x OPG isn't amounting to much yet, and either is the Greenpoint Sundae Stallion. I may have to put the two plants that don't make the cut outside, or string them along in the 2nd run and see how they do.

The Serious Seeds genetics are stout, and a good beginner's starting point IMO. :)

As far as me being successful growing plants...Scott Adams has it pretty close:

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So today I made worm poop tea and fed the plants. Plus a little bloodmeal, fish juice, chicken poop. Changed the pine straw for some I stole off a loaded hay wagon at the feed store. The Serious Kush is making a real bid for a place in the flower tent. Sundae Stallion has the 5th set, and I left them. The reason the leaves look good is because I washed them with tweetmint after I was done messing with them. 730 watts making about 600 umoles to the center plants.

Serious Kush:

Runtz rabbit:

AK47:

AK47:

Sundae Stallion:

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There are worms in my pots, basking in warm lightrays, and they are no problem, and are supposed to be there. It is funny to see one crawl on the remote moisture probe, by the reading going from 90 to 100%. I have night crawlers, and when I first got them they were adventurous. I will get reds next, if they can co-exist OK. Kids will deplete my worm supply cause the soil tanks are down by the ponds.

It has been raining all night, and my patio and sidewalks were covered in dead worms. Good sign on my land I suppose.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When it comes time to put 4 plants in the SIP tent, there will be some Serious decisions to be made. Start with the over crowded cell:

The two plants in front are the midgets.

Mysterion (I think another Serious Kush) midget:

SK midget:

The Serious Kush midget has nice fat leaves. Both of these plants had good roots in the dixie cups, so I know to use more water in that stage now and be careful with a heat pad. An audit of seeds I used indicates the mysterious plant is probably another Serious Kush, although a Sundae is also missing.

I just used the Ph probe to check the moisture and Ph in the midget's pots. We have a situation, or the probe is acting up. The other plants got soil that I had added oyster shell to in order to get the Ph from 6.0 to 6.7. The soil in "?" pot is showing 5.0, and in the SK midget pot 6.0 - so now I need to watch and deal with this. I shoulda taken more time with the midget's soil besides bringing it in, thawing it out, and planting.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Two stragglers, but not to be forgotten:

G x D x OPG:

Sundae Stallion:

The Sundae is the only one I haven't pinched off the 5th set.

Latest posts

Latest posts