What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1970 tropical Seeds (asumably not old Seeds) not Sprout HELP!

romanoweed

Well,
i put the half part into purified water and 10% h202 mix. And the other half into just water. 24 Hours long.

Then into damp paper Towel,into opened Ziplock, then into paper Plates under Growlight. Heat map too. 24 Hours Long.

Then the half of Seeds went into pro mix seedling soil, the other stayed in Pape Towel, 48 Hous Long.

So i finally Cracked all seeds, wich i initially Sandpapered at First already.

4 Days from initially starting. No Movement.

--------

Those should be newer reproduced Seeds, not fom 1970, but the Line is from 1970.

Could it be that this is a Line that is just too acclimatized to the Climate? The Seeds looked glossy, not like old Seedstash wich looks pale, im pretty shure cant be thaat old.
So, what to do if they are not enough acclimatized.? Or if something else the problem, what to doo?

Its a very exotic line and seeds look juassic thats for shure.

Any Ideas?

TheDarkStorm

Well,
i put the half part into purified water and 10% h202 mix. And the other half into just water. 24 Hours long.

Then into damp paper Towel,into opened Ziplock, then into paper Plates under Growlight. Heat map too. 24 Hours Long.

Then the half of Seeds went into pro mix seedling soil, the other stayed in Pape Towel, 48 Hous Long.

So i finally Cracked all seeds, wich i initially Sandpapered at First already.

4 Days from initially starting. No Movement.

--------

Those should be newer reproduced Seeds, not fom 1970, but the Line is from 1970.

Could it be that this is a Line that is just too acclimatized to the Climate? The Seeds looked glossy, not like old Seedstash wich looks pale, im pretty shue cant be thaat old.
So, what to do if they are to acclimatized.? Or if something else, what to doo?

Any Ideas?

Do you know how hold they actually are and what type they are and if the seeds have actually come from their homeland.....if they've been reproduced outside their homeland afew times they should pop without too much issue.....sounds like they may not have been kept in the best conditions...or you just havent given them enough time
Sometimes older sativa seeds can take a couple of weeks to pop....ive seen sativa seeds that have been kept in the fridge for over 10-20 years take quite some time to get going...but they do eventually get going if stored correctly...I would advise to build a small worm bin and throw afew in there...ive seen even the toughest old seeds emerge in worm bins.....good luck

romanoweed

I dont know how often they were reproduced out homeland. It is an old Line from the Tropics.
I guess those are shurely not first Generation, cause they are pretty glossy, not Pale like 50 year old seeds.

I heard only that he grows it every Year to smoke it, but that tells me nothing if those are an old reproduction, or multiple times reproduced.

Nonacclimatized was my first Guess. And i try out any method. But i guess those are slightly old, like 10 years, looked well formed out, not white.

Do you think keeping them in Paper Plates under Lights is actually bad?
Some tell to put them into normal Plates (darkness)

Goodherb

Old seeds

Old seeds

Do you know how hold they actually are and what type they are and if the seeds have actually come from their homeland.....if they've been reproduced outside their homeland afew times they should pop without too much issue.....sounds like they may not have been kept in the best conditions...or you just havent given them enough time
Sometimes older sativa seeds can take a couple of weeks to pop....ive seen sativa seeds that have been kept in the fridge for over 10-20 years take quite some time to get going...but they do eventually get going if stored correctly...I would advise to build a small worm bin and throw afew in there...ive seen even the toughest old seeds emerge in worm bins.....good luck

Yes,think that see Solar Logos, did as much, EWC!

TheDarkStorm

I dont know how often they were reproduced out homeland. It is an old Line from the Tropics.
I guess those are shurely not first Generation, cause they are pretty glossy, not Pale.

I heard only that he grows it every Year, but that tells me nothing if those are an old reproduction, or multiple times reproduced.

Nonacclimatized was my first suspectd. And i try out any method.

Do you think keeping them in Paper Plates under Lights is actually bad?
Some tell to put them into normal Plates (darkness)

Use saucers/plates then put them in a plastic bag....the paper will let light through and may let too much heat through and absorb moisture.....
If you still have fresh seeds build a worm bin and try them in there..... with the seeds youve already cracked try and find something with auxins and gibrelins in but no npk...that might ignite your cracked ones ...something like agro-rouse or incite or something similar should ignite those seeds.

F2F

Hiya Romano, I’m going to try the below with some aged Mango Haze in a few weeks. Best of luck to you!

Peace
F2F

Thank you very much for your kind words my friend. That link on the water pollination is interesting. I clicked on it though and only got one post of him pollinating a PCK, I didn't see the rest of the thread. I haven't had much time to research this, but I'm always looking for more knowledge and better methods. Thanks romanoweed for posting that.

I'm happy to share with you what I've found that works for me and some reasoning behind it. Maybe there is something someone can find useful from this
Here is what I do for old seeds:
My method involves washing the seeds to kill any fungus. Damping off is often a problem with old seeds. I soak seeds in tap water and household chlorine bleach (no scent, just plain bleach) for 20 minutes. The ratio is 1 Tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water.
After the soak, I dry the seeds and either crack the seeds or scarify them. I don't have a seed cracker but small hospital hemostats work if you're careful. Usually I scarify them with either fine sandpaper, 2000 grit or an emery board, the kind used for fingernails. Here, I just want to make a pin hole on the side of the seed along the ridge, where the 2 halves of the outer shells meet. You only need a light pass once or twice usually. Don't take too much off. Just break through and make a pinhole in the shell where the 2 halves meet. This allows the liquid to get in as old seeds usually have very hard shells.

Back to sterilization; I use latex gloves when handling the seeds after the 1st soak in bleach solution. Even if I use the paper towel method on new seeds, I use latex gloves, especially when transplanting them into the medium. I had about 20% of my seedlings die off several years ago from transplanting seedlings without gloves from paper towel to medium.
After cracking or scarifying the seeds, I put them in a strainer and rinse them in tap water.
I don't have access to fresh coconut milk, so I use organic, as fresh as I can find. Coconut is a seed, a nut or a fruit. But as a seed, it has pretty much all the goodies for a new plant to live on for a while. It has cytokinins, phytohormones which promote cell division, as well as gibberellic acid, which has been shown to increase old seed germination.
H202 increases the oxygen in the coconut water. Seeds need oxygen for aerobic respiration, breaking down food so the embryo can have energy. I don't know what other reasons for the H202, but I assume that is the primary function. I do know it increases germination rates. I'm guessing, but I would say my ration is about 1/4th teaspoon of 3% H202 to 2 shot glasses of coconut milk. You can add a pinch of finely powdered diastatic malt to add enzymes. On the KG repro, I also added 1 drop of Roots Excellurator Gold.

To be honest, Coconut milk and H202 are probably the most important ingredient. I think they are all important, but those 2 are really good by themselves. As far as time, I go 24 hours minimum and usually go 36 hours, depending on the seeds, my gut feelings, etc.
After the soak, plant the seeds in fresh ewc. I don't use the commercial bagged ewc sold on the shelves. I have my own worm farms just for these occasions. I'll use bagged ewc in soil, but not for sprouting seeds. I plant the seeds in trays or starter cups filled with fresh ewc, with seeds being planted 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Don't pack the ewc, keep it loose for oxygen and so the seeds don't get too wet. I put them in my cloning chamber and just mist spray the dome. Keep them warm and humid. I like to keep everything at 80-85F. As long as there is no remaining organic matter in the ewc, they won't mold. Don't let the ewc get dry. Mist spray them if they do. You don't want them too wet, but not dry either just moist. Keep the dome and walls inside the chamber sprayed once or twice.Because we don't want our seeds too wet and have plenty of oxygen, we want the RH to be very high. I put the whole thing on a seed mat and a thermometer inside to monitor temps and RH. RH is usually 85-99%.
Patience. The seeds have been asleep a long time, it takes time to wake up. My KG didn't come up until day 31, then they all started coming up after that. A friend of mine last month had the same thing with old seeds, started coming up on day 31. Give them time and lots of positive vibes.
Peace, God bless

White Beard

Not sure how seeds from 50 years ago can be “assumably not old”, but you’ll probably have better results if you approach them AS IF they *are* old.

troutman

Seed Whore
Not sure how seeds from 50 years ago can be “assumably not old”, but you’ll probably have better results if you approach them AS IF they *are* old.

The seeds are not that old I think. The plants were kept pure since the 70's it seems

Also, I'm not sure if using 10% hydrogen peroxide helped. May have burned things.

thailer

i think it is all about the heat. i like to put my seeds in a jar of water and set the water on a heat mat with a temp probe set on the mat on 77F. the water should stay warm but not dry out and you'll have germinated seeds to pop into soil by 24-36 hours later. i've germinated 10 year old well stored beans using this method and i've never had as good of success with other methods. they germinate under lights too in my grow room in the jar of water.

Lightmeup209639

Svalbard Global Seed Vault

Svalbard Global Seed Vault

776px-Entrance_to_the_Seed_Vault_%28cropped%29.jpg

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is a secure seed bank to preserve a wide variety of plant seeds. Seeds are kept at ?18 °C (?0.4 °F). The low temperature and limited access to oxygen will ensure low metabolic activity and delay seed aging. (From Wikipedia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault#Seed_storage

Full article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

In theory, it may be possible to store Cannabis seeds too. Storing seeds in the vault is free to end users; Norway and the Crop Trust pay for operational costs.

Lightmeup209639

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Seeds are kept at minus 18 °C or minus 0.4 °F. (Something wrong with the editor with minus-signs; sorry you guys, and I was dissapointed by my-bad post.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

romanoweed

people principially i like jokes, but this is VERY important for me.

well , only half seeds were put in the 10 percent H202 solution, the other half was put just into Water. So, should still be some Survivors incase the Dosage was wrong.

I put a breeze of Soil in the Paper Towel ones, the other Half Seeds are still in Eathworhcast.
I did put a Breeze Soil already once when Seeds showed only a tiny Tail wich stagnated. I dont know if it was coexidence but around that moment they pogressede growing into Seedlings.

romanoweed

@Thailer . Thanks . My Temperatures never go below 70Farenheit, 21Celsius. Should actually be enough. Some on Heatmap nice Warm.

fuutang

..when Seeds showed only a tiny Tail wich stagnated.

Swollen up. Too wet makes them go mushy. Might have eventually grown in more optimal conditions. Next time, soak them, then leave somewhere humid, like; on top of some moist potting compost. Better luck next time. :bump: