What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Music for your plants?

Socrates

Hey all, just a quick random question. I've heard before that playing music for plants actually makes them grow better (there was a mythbusters episode about this that came to that conclusion, but the methodology was not very rigorous).

So, I figured IC would be a great place to confirm or deny this. Have any of you guys tried it? What were your results?

Peace and love :joint:

M

Microwido

There is an old wives tale that if you sing to your plant it will grow healthier, and that ironically is true. However not from the sound, but from you breathing c02 onto it. Sound alone doesn't help, doesn't hurt either.

Socrates

I dunno, I understand the CO2 aspect, but in the mythbusters episode they had recordings playing for the plants and they still did significantly better than the control plants. Also, if you look it up online, there are a number of other experiments that report similar results.

I just thought that other people in this forum might have played around with it to see if there was anything to it. I was very skeptical at first, and I still am to an extent, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Nobody?

slappyjack

Socrates said:
I dunno, I understand the CO2 aspect, but in the mythbusters episode they had recordings playing for the plants and they still did significantly better than the control plants. Also, if you look it up online, there are a number of other experiments that report similar results.

Didn't their control group fail? I seem to remember the drip system failed and some of the plants died. The Mythbusters usually do a good job, but I don't remember being very impressed with that experiment. Too many uncontrolled variables.

Socrates

Yeah but the drip system failed for all of them, so you could argue that it still showed something. I agree it was a poorly-done experiment though, not very scientific, which is why I was wondering if anyone here had given it a try.

I was curious because if it really did work, that would be pretty cool - imagine if you could add to your yield by just playing a little bob marley or something in the chamber...

Microwido said:
There is an old wives tale that if you sing to your plant it will grow healthier, and that ironically is true. However not from the sound, but from you breathing c02 onto it. Sound alone doesn't help, doesn't hurt either.

Who says sound doesn't help? I have actually seen a number of different sources which show that sound, and specifically low frequency bass will aid in plant growth. In fact I believe this same topic has been discussed at length before in this forum...a quick googling;

http://www.rmhiherbal.org/review/2002-1.html#plants

"Music and its effects on plant growth

Plants have been shown to significantly increase their rate of growth when stimulated by specific sound frequencies. In the 1950's, Indian botanist T.C. Singh observed under a microscope the protoplasm streaming in an Asian aquatic plant, which normally increases at sunrise, and discovered that such streaming could be induced at other times of the day by activating an electrically driven tuning fork. He then experimented with recorded South Indian violin music played to a wide variety of plants, with frequencies of the fundamental tones in the 100 to 600 Hz range; significantly increased growth rates resulted. [7] About the same time, a Canadian named Eugene Canby began subjecting test plots of wheat to recordings of violin sonatas by J.S. Bach, and found that yields increased by 66%. Other tests in Russia, the U.S., and Canada with ultrasonic frequencies yielded similar increases in the growth rates of other plant species.

Various researchers then determined that the range of frequencies around 5000 Hz were especially potent in stimulating plant growth. During the 1960's, researcher Dorothy Retallack determined that these frequencies were best administered in the form of classical music (compositions of J.S. Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, and other European 18th and 19th century composers; traditional North Indian music performed on sitar and tabla), played intermittently for several hours per day. [8a, 8b] A Minnesota plant breeder named Dan Carlson collaborated with a music teacher named Michael Holtz to create an audio tape with a combination of frequencies centered about the 5000 Hz range, which Holtz immediately recognized as being very similar to the sound of a bird chorus at dawn. Carlson then used this music to induce record-breaking growth rates in Purple Passion vine plants. [7]

Retallack also experimented with various types of rock music to see what effects they would have on plant growth. Plants "listening" to selections from Led Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, and Jimi Hendrix became stunted or gangly, with long stems and sparse leaf growth, some bending away from the sound source; after 16 days, most of these plants died.

Retallack also found that the discordant music of 20th century composers Arnold Schönberg and Anton von Webern also caused plants to atrophy, but not to the degree of the rock music. Schönberg is considered to be the father of 12-tone music, characterized by a total "freedom" from harmonic contraints, wherein all 12 tones of the western musical scale are ideally considered to be of equal weight and value. Twelve-tone principles of composition were eagerly embraced by avant garde faculty at music schools during the early 20th century, and over the following decades began to appear in popular music, and in background music for television and radio programs. The 12-tone style is what gives music for horror and suspense films its particular capacity to shock and terrorize. "

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
Retallack also experimented with various types of rock music to see what effects they would have on plant growth. Plants "listening" to selections from Led Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, and Jimi Hendrix became stunted or gangly, with long stems and sparse leaf growth, some bending away from the sound source; after 16 days, most of these plants died.

my garden listens 24/7 to 60's - early80's rock isnt no Vanilla Fudgepacker on the radio lol. sundays they get dosed with Jazz from 7am to 11am then its back to led zepplin jimmi hendrix eric clapton black sabbath ozzy judis priest i could go on here happy garden on 60's - early 80 rock n jazz

veg

radio can be herd in flower lightly heres last wk 14 days 12/12

my 2 bonsai mums the evil radio resides to the right of them :muahaha:

new cross's just made they also listen to the radio

died from listening to rock lol honetly them crazy duders on descovery channel ran a test in seperate green houses each played a diff kind of music or none at all. they had few problems lol but the 2 green houses that came out ontop where 1 playn clasical music bach beetoven and such n other playn hard rock n roll

Puff Puff Passn :rasta:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
oops forgot lol them tarpits some be plants now n be jamn oh yea jamn thankyou Ja pls continue to bless me

Murphle

I leave the animal planet channel on the tv when I'm not home. I think my plants love it. The dogs do at least.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Music for your plants?

Hi Folks,
I think it's about time this thread was dusted off and re-posted.

I do play music in my growroom when I'm working in it but It's never occurred to me to leave it on for my plants! There has always been talk of people singing or playing music to their plants and I was wondering how widespread it was.

Do you play music for your plants and if so, what kind of music and do you believe they respond favourably to it?

I look forward to your responses,
Regards,

Iffy :tiphat:

superx

Veteran
Has anybody tried singing to there plants?

it might help with certain deficiencies...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I have a bluetooth speaker in my tent room and I always connect it to my phone and play some music while I'm in there. It's more for me than the plants though.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I don't have anything inside going.

But if i did, I would turn the music all the way up to Yngwie Malmsteen.

The best guitarist/shreddar around

Bobby Boucher

I never understood peoples attraction to classical music growing up..

On my very first grow, I decided to download complete bach, mozart, and tchaikovsky discographies to leave playing in my bedroom closet for my plants day and night.

Ever since then, I really can't enjoy any of the music a grew up with anymore.. I've just.. listened to and studied classical music day in and out 'til the tunnel vision sets in, driven by some completely unknown force.

Sometimes I wonder if it has done me more harm than good.

Beware of classical music.

I only play music for my plants now in their last days, if I am feeling sentimental.

Bobby Boucher

Attachments

• errrrs.jpg
    errrrs.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Latest posts