What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many Worms per Litre?

T

Teddybrae

I have these 250 U.S. Gal/1000 Litre) tubs filled with Forest soil and amendments. I will be mulching them with Lucerne if the drought here ends. How many worms will I need per tub? Thanks in Anticipation ...

T

Teddybrae

After further research here the answer to my question seems to be: Countless. I could get millions in each pot. OK. I 'll go buy as many as I can afford.

wetdog

After further research here the answer to my question seems to be: Countless. I could get millions in each pot. OK. I 'll go buy as many as I can afford.

For the moment, starting a worm bin would be the smartest thing you could do if you are going to buy worms.

Not only would you have a pretty much free and unlimited supply of worms for the future, but the benefits of your own, fresh, castings and vermicompost is beyond anything else you do or add.

Wet

My starting bin that I keep indoors and feed my outdoor beds worms with, holds about 8000-12000 worms. I started out with about 500 in that bin, and in a year it was stuffed.

I agree with Wetdog, start your own bin while you are at it.

bigbadbiddy

A worm bin should probably be item 1 on the list of any organic farmer.

No matter the size. Even if you have a small 1 cloiset grow, just get a smaller worm bin. But the earth worm castings are so important and valuable in organic growing, even if you discount the worms (which are also highly beneficial).

It's also high on my list, haven't started one yet. I was fortunate to find a place where you get 40 liters of EWC for 8 bucks which is absolutely fine. But that is one channel, the next best offer I found was around 12 bucks for 30 liters.
And you never know 100% with the quality, what did the worms get fed, etc.?

With increasing size of the grow, a worm bin becomes an increasingly beneficial factor as well, so I would really only skip it or buy the EWC if you either have a very small grow or simply don't have the space to run it.

Otherwise, always worm farm if you want to organically ganja farm :D

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For the moment, starting a worm bin would be the smartest thing you could do if you are going to buy worms.

Not only would you have a pretty much free and unlimited supply of worms for the future, but the benefits of your own, fresh, castings and vermicompost is beyond anything else you do or add.

Wet
^^What he said^^ Shhhhh.... there having sex. As a fisherman I used to keep a worm bin. Only bought 3 doz per year. Them things are worst than rabbits LOL. At end of the season I tossed them in the garden. The gist, a little goes a long way, with patience of course. :)

Selrac

Hi,

Just never let your soil get too dry, and give them food

In worm bin more your feed more you have worms ;)

A+

T

Teddybrae

Thanks Everyone!

I have got it figured!

I put One Kilo of worms in each pot and then I put some partly composted human shit on top of them. They love that shit.

Only worry is hard rain which might flood the pots so have piled up mulch high on top for them to flee into.

No need to post here anymore ... finished now ...

YukonKronic

Thanks Everyone!

I have got it figured!

I put One Kilo of worms in each pot and then I put some partly composted human shit on top of them. They love that shit.

Only worry is hard rain which might flood the pots so have piled up mulch high on top for them to flee into.

No need to post here anymore ... finished now ...

Not to come off as too much of a jerk but I'm pretty sure nobody you smoke that with is going to be stoked it was grown with human shit. Not to mention there could be all kinds more sodium and whatever medicines or toxins you possibly ingested. Animal manures are plentiful and effective.... lol please stop making me squeamish!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]composted human shit on top of them
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope you meant partially composted kitchen shit! Human and pet feces are never to be used as fertilizers. Read up on North Korea and what that caused and is causing, besides malnutrition.
[/FONT]

St. Phatty

If nightsoil was against health, human beings would not have survived through to the 20th century. Because nightsoil was commonly used as fertilizer through most of human history.

I understand the squeamish ness a little - I have some water melons growing on top of a septic field. Will taste them, but I'm thinking they're more for the chickens.

Latest posts

Latest posts