What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving plants around the yard during flower

I'm growing outside in containers and due to environmental issues, I need to keep this quite odorous strain from becoming a beacon to passersby.

My question is: I'd like to move it to another part of the yard where it will get 2-3 hours less direct sunlight per day than what it's used to. I'm at day 22 of pushing pistils. Obviously, the amount of total light will not change.

Am I playing with fire? Should I avoid doing this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

T

Teddybrae

So ... if you reduce direct sunlight will something bad happen to your plant? No. It just won't grow the same as in the other spot. probably not as large or fruitful. but you just got to do it any way that can work for you! Good Luck!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that shouldnt be a problem, however, it may cause the plant to flower a bit faster and fluffier than if given full sun for those 3 hours or so.

St. Phatty

I'm growing outside in containers and due to environmental issues, I need to keep this quite odorous strain from becoming a beacon to passersby.

My question is: I'd like to move it to another part of the yard where it will get 2-3 hours less direct sunlight per day than what it's used to. I'm at day 22 of pushing pistils.

Is there a safe place to move it to, where you can supplement sun light using electric light ?

My 4 outdoor Cannabis plants are all on wheels, though I don't think I'll move 2 of them.

2 are leaning, mostly Sativa. Might need to move them from the normal flowering place, that gets more shade in the fall, to a place where they get that autumn afternoon sunshine.

I've been using a US gov. *.mil website that tells you the Sun's angle (altitude) and direction (azimuth.)

It's helping me plan so I can get light to the plants as the days get shorter.

I ordered about 200 yards of copper wire so I can lay down some temporary 115 VAC for plants that need more light.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It won't interrupt flowering, the plant still knows what time it is as long as it's there to see the sun rise and set. The only consequence would be less energy to make flowers, but even that won't be a large difference because the plant has/is using stored nutrients.

CrushnYuba

Just a little suggestion. Orient them in their new spot similar to how they were facing. Like have the same part of the plant that was facing south continue to face south in the new spot. Or Whatever part of plant got the most light, continue to get the most light.
The plant is well into flower and the bud that gets most light is stacking harder. Changing orientation can reduce yield

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I live in a canyon..

I live in a canyon..

I live in a canyon so I get different levels of light. I grow indoors mostly. When I run out to room some go outside.

I have found that this effects flowering. Some spots get so hot they will burn my plants while others get The flowering going.

I get some really potent plants this way.

Trial by error is my best advice. :plant grow:

Thanks folks! I figured, it's like a bad haircut. It if doesn't go well, learn and start over. Great fun growing this plant. Shoulda started doing this in my 20's.

Obviously, the amount of total light will not change.

Um, if you're moving them from one area to another that gets LESS light, it's fairly obvious that the amount of total light WILL change.

Are you referring to the day's photoperiod?

That won't change... but I wouldn't be moving them around during flowering.
I don't even feed mine anything extra after 6 weeks of flowering. They're SO sensitive at this stage; you may induce hermaphroditism.

I moved some last year to where they could get MORE sunlight and got hermies. They don't like change at the flowering stage.

Best of luck with the smell...
No real remedy to that except growing stuff that isn't as loud.

Hort1

I always move my potted outdoor plants around through out the growing and flowering stages .I continually turn plants and swop positions to ensure they all receive equal amounts of sunlight and also to ensure good airflow.
As harvest approaches I may even move plants under the roof of my pool deck to keep the early winter rain off them .Sunny days I move them back out into the sun even if only for a few hours.
I have never experienced any negative results from moving plants around even in late flower.

Um, if you're moving them from one area to another that gets LESS light, it's fairly obvious that the amount of total light WILL change.

Are you referring to the day's photoperiod?

That won't change... but I wouldn't be moving them around during flowering.
I don't even feed mine anything extra after 6 weeks of flowering. They're SO sensitive at this stage; you may induce hermaphroditism.

I moved some last year to where they could get MORE sunlight and got hermies. They don't like change at the flowering stage.

Best of luck with the smell...
No real remedy to that except growing stuff that isn't as loud.

This is what I was afraid of. Maybe important to note, to date throughout it's life it's been rotated, LSTed, fussed over and moved out of the shade into the afternoon sun, albeit just a couple of feet's distance on a daily basis. It's used to being tended to regularly and constantly monitored. I'm like a new mother. :biggrin:

I always move my potted outdoor plants around through out the growing and flowering stages .I continually turn plants and swop positions to ensure they all receive equal amounts of sunlight and also to ensure good airflow.
As harvest approaches I may even move plants under the roof of my pool deck to keep the early winter rain off them .Sunny days I move them back out into the sun even if only for a few hours.
I have never experienced any negative results from moving plants around even in late flower.

Yeah, I've been covering my girls up with clear plastic garbage bags when it rained this summer. Tore a few holes for ventilation on the sides. Worked like a charm.

This is what I was afraid of. Maybe important to note, to date throughout it's life it's been rotated, LSTed, fussed over and moved out of the shade into the afternoon sun, albeit just a couple of feet's distance on a daily basis. It's used to being tended to regularly and constantly monitored. I'm like a new mother. :biggrin:

Well, a quarter turn rotation is acceptable for most plants, (from a trusted greenhouse friend,) but major moves and 180 degree turns are not recommended.

Honestly, I set them where they will get the most sunlight they can in my patch, and once they're well set up I let them do what they need to.
Sure, I spread the limbs out to allow more sunlight to get in and around the tops, but no big moves.

Hort doesn't seem to have a problem, so I suspect cannabis isn't as sensitive as say... a tomato plant in a pot.

I avoid messing with them and learned why I shouldn't try and love them to death last year.

It's best to give them a place where they can thrive and let them be.

They don't have legs... and are stationary life forms once they rooted. The leaves and limbs turn and move throughout the day, following the path of the sun, and I find that as long as I LST the taller limbs, the rest catch up and love that.

Hey... anyone else excited as hell for harvest this year?!?!?!?

I know I am!!!