What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To till 10 gallon grow bag amendments ??

Humboldt-hermit

So maybe I'm lazy but it doesnt make sense with the 1000's of 10 gal grow bags in all my greenhouses. To empty out the greenhouses into a large soil pile only to reammend the soil and then refill each greenhouse. No I was la large plant grower for years using the Tom hill mix with great success. So I was thinking about still trying to use the same ferts that time hill uses on large plants . Mixing into the soil chicken compost, bone meal, gypsum. Till up let sit for 2 weeks then only plain water till harvest. Now this worked great for me. And they were full season plants so logic is telling me that I could use a mix like that during rep runs and get two shorter harvests befor a reammend. Obviously the problems are there isn't room for a roto till in those small 10/20 gallon grow bags. So I'm wondering if I just basically too dressed those amendments and scratched it in and watered it in and let it sit if that could work? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or another recipe ? Keeping in mind the goal here is to reammend 10/20 gallon grow bags without dumping them not a soil pile and moving tons of soil around. :)

T

Teddybrae

Interesting proposition Mr Hermit. I too grow large plants and have just prepared some considerable amount of soil. Here's a photo of the way the Missus and I mixed a few thousand litres in a few hours without damaging our ageing bodies.

picture.php

Each pile begins as a 200 litre wheelbarrow load. One person grabs one corner of the tarpaulin and pulls toward centre, next person on other corner ditto, then when material is centred roll it to far end by pulling tarp ... at far end do diagonal pulls once more then pull back again to where you began ... and it's mixed!

Helps mixing a lot if the soil is evenly spread on tarp, not piled ... and if amendments are EVENLY spread on top of soil ... then mix.

So in U.S. terms 200 litres is 50 of your gallons.

Have fun and hope yr spine is in good condition!