What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adding Lime simultaneous with Manure.

T

Teddybrae

I have read somewhere that one should not add Lime and Manure together but I cannot recall why this should be so.

Anyone know about any negative effects of doing this?

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
I think the main issue is if you already have a high p h, namely because some manure is already high p h and the carbonate will only add to this or at least won't improve the p h in that regard. Gypsum my be another option if it's calcium you are wanting to add. Cheers

rod58

hey teddy , if its chook manure then your best bet is gypsum as the sulphur content will counter the high ph ..to a degree .

Klompen

Gypsum is indeed the correct answer as many here have stated. It not only aids in the breakdown of the manure but it is very good for fungal growth. Mycellium loves a little bit of gypsum! Gypsum also helps stabilize soil pH to some degree. Lime should be looked at as a long term soil amendment and not a quick fix.

Klompen

Gypsum is made up of calcium and sulfur. Whomever rated my post and said gypsum does not supply calcium is 100% incorrect.

T

Teddybrae

Gypsum: Extract from Web

Gypsum: Extract from Web

Source:

https://www.incitecpivotfertilisers.com.au/~/media/Files/IPF/Documents/Agritopics/Gypsum.pdf

"Gypsum contains sulfur as sulfate, the form taken u
p by plant roots. The sulfur in gypsum is
therefore readily available, so that gypsum can be
used where a quick response to sulfur is
required."

USES OF GYPSUM
Gypsum can be used as a fertiliser, to supply sulfu
r (S) and/or calcium (Ca)
Occasionally, the soil will test low in calcium and
the pH will be found to be in the optimum range,
indicating that calcium is required as a nutrient,
but not as a soil ameliorant to raise the pH.
Gypsum may be used in these circumstances

; or as a soil
conditioner. "

So it seems to be that the Calcium in Gypsum is available as a nutrient when pH is optimum but will not alter pH.

igrowone

Veteran
the typical rule is strong base + strong acid --> neutral salt(relatively)
HCL + NaOH --> NaCl which is table salt that produces solutions around 7
now calcium forms a somewhat weaker base, sulfuric acid is a strong acid
calcium sulfate should be somewhat on the acidic side
however, it's solubility is rather low, so a small effect on ph sounds reasonable
edit: and a quick check shows it does produce a weak base ph, interesting, chemistry does have its quirks
that's just for saturated solutions in water, growing media is a more complex environment

Latest posts

Latest posts