What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

tennessee- speakin up

Bud Hi

Hell yea! I don't live near Knox, but caught this news:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jan/10/cohen-to-speak-at-marijuana-gala/

NASHVILLE - U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen will be a featured speaker at the Marijuana Policy Project's 15th anniversary gala. Also on the bill: comedian/actors Cheech and Chong.

The Washington-based nonprofit favors a legal, regulated system for marijuana sales and allowing states to decide their own marijuana policies.

Cohen, a Democrat representing Memphis, has long supported the decriminalization of marijuana for medical use. In 2007 he spoke from the House floor about a friend who used the drug to ease his pain as he lay dying of pancreatic cancer. He was speaking in support of an amendment that would have prohibited the federal Drug Enforcement Administration from enforcing federal laws against medical marijuana in the states that had legalized it.

A member of Cohen's staff confirmed his planned appearance, but Cohen didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Marijuana Policy Project Director of Government Relations Aaron Houston said Cohen has been "a strong ally over many years" going back to his time as a Tennessee state senator.

"The dirty little secret about medical marijuana is that it's really popular," Houston said, noting that Cohen won a seat in Congress in 2006 despite opponents trying to make an issue of his support for it.

Cohen created a buzz on the Internet last spring when he harangued FBI Director Robert Mueller for calling marijuana a gateway drug that leads people to stronger and more dangerous drugs.

"They probably started off with milk and then they went to beer," he said. "... The gateway theory doesn't work."

In the same exchange, Cohen suggested that legalizing marijuana could help reduce the violence associated with the Mexican drug trade.

"Is there some time we're going to see that we ought to prioritize meth, crack, cocaine and heroin and deal with the drugs that the American culture is really being affected by and lives are being lost?" he asked.

Marijuana Policy Project spokesman Mike Meno said there are no other congressmen slated to speak at the Jan. 13 event in Washington, D.C., but "there are a few who are being talked to." Other speakers include former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson and comedians Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, known for their jokes about marijuana use.

fatbud

I HOPE IT GETS PASSED SO MAYBE VIRGINIA WILL FOLLOW SUIT OR MAYBE I WILL MOVE TO TENN CUZ ITS ONLY 50 MILES FROM MY HOUSE TO BRISTOL&I HAVE FRIENDS& FAMILY ALLOVER TENN GOOD LUCK .:party:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
sorry, tennessee now has a republican majority. which is fairly irrelevant. 3 or 4 years ago, our state legislature passed a non-binding resolution urging the federal govt to allow research on medical marijuana (94 to 3, something lopsided like that:dance013:) possession of under an oz is still a misdemeanor, unless you have it in more than one baggie..IE, cut up to sell, in their opinion. then it doesn't matter if your total is less than a quarter oz. our LAWS still seem draconian, & would be if enforced to the letter. you are better off with a state trooper than ANY county officer, & the older the officer is, the better off you are! (speaking from experience here) what you are charged with (amount-wise) doesn't matter much, as nearly all pot charges end up as simple possession if you can remain calm & say "yes sir" & "no sir" in the correct places. have seen pot tossed into the bushes, & even handed back with a fairly well orchestrated tongue lashing too. wish i could be in Nashville for the event... AOH

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess I'm out of date. I haven't paid attention to state politics since the Republican leader stabbed everyone in the back last year, or the year before to take the majority on the Dems side.

I have had pot completely ignored, one charge disappeared before making it out of the building and I've also had the hard ass cops here too. It's hit or miss.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I cover my tracks ten times...then I cover them ten more times

...even a close call would give me a heart attack

demasoni

Quote:
Them mountain boys might know a thang er two about a thang er two.
yep, i think folks are finally catchin on cali isn't the only place.. Appalachia doesn't get near as much hype as california, yet ;). Some who come from the generations long raised deep in the mountains feel it in them, your heart belongs in those woods in streams, VA, TN, KY, GA(fucking insane draconian bastards w/ laws), NC. white tails, white pine, black bear, granite, mountain laurel mountainsides runnin down into trout streams fresh from mountain top. <3 glorious MJ seasons, high altitude grown bud, has a extra goodness in the feeling :) comes just as sweet out of the valleys though.