What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is one shop light enough for one plant?

W

Woall

for just one plant in veg, would one lighting fixture about 4 feet long containing two T8 floro bulbs be sufficient? Or would I be better of getting a second fixture with 2 more bulbs?

Littleleaf

Veteran
One will do for veg,just put it close.
When it gets bigger then add another.( about a 1')

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
get a second and possibly a third for flower... Good Luck peace.

sack

Calimed

Veteran
I have used a single dual bulb shop light for seedlings before, but you will want to add a couple more shop lights over the canopy as it gets larger. Ideally, on the sides too. You will start to notice leaves falling off that are too far away from the lights.

Bud Hi

as they grow add another and another.. lol

Attachments

• 8376dec_28_05_008[1].jpg
    8376dec_28_05_008[1].jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 83761-22-08_004[1].jpg
    83761-22-08_004[1].jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 7
W

Woall

I have a 100 w HPS that I plan on using for flowering. I was also thinking about using the shop light as well for flowering. Is using two different kinds of lights ok? Maybe I could rig up the HPS into my veg chamber temporarily for the rest of veg.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a friend nearby who got 2-1/2 oz under just two shoplights, 160w! I thought it was pretty impressive.

W

Woall

combining shop lights with HPS light doesn't confuse the plant or anything does it?

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Actually I have seen someone grow a HUGE plant with just a shoplight. Nothing else. Took FOREVER to bloom and he grew the plant in a corner with the shoplight forming the other side of the "box" effectively. 80w of fluoro is still 80w of fluoro.

xlatit

I would say actually it's much better to use compact just to give an honest opinion my friend. The plant and even buds tend to be feathery and not dense growth. I would use them say the first 3-5 days on a seedlings first true set of leaves, . If you just have it good luck and watch out for mold if you spray a lot. The shop lights don't have a lot of heat won't evaporate water as much) or actual uvb-rays. That's why keeping a compact floro within 2 inches is a lot different than having a plant directly on a tube. The plant's stems will probably seem more of a hemp-like structure than that of a juicy drainage ditch weed; they will just have thin scraggly development based on my experience.
Still, good luck if your going for it. :)