What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow!

Ragga89

Hello guys,

This is my first grow and my setup is a 1.2x1.2x2.0 cultibox tent a 600w hps with cooltube, 125mm intake fan and 150mm exhaust fan. I am planning to grow 7 plants in there. So my first problem is that after germinating my seeds, i placed them in their pots and then in the tent. I have low temperatures, like 14 C, so in order to get it to atleast 25 i opened the lamp and the whole air system. My point is how big of a problem is if a seedling has a 600w light, placed far up and as far as possible? Will they survive or no? Thanks in advance!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hello guys,

This is my first grow and my setup is a 1.2x1.2x2.0 cultibox tent a 600w hps with cooltube, 125mm intake fan and 150mm exhaust fan. I am planning to grow 7 plants in there. So my first problem is that after germinating my seeds, i placed them in their pots and then in the tent. I have low temperatures, like 14 C, so in order to get it to atleast 25 i opened the lamp and the whole air system. My point is how big of a problem is if a seedling has a 600w light, placed far up and as far as possible? Will they survive or no? Thanks in advance!
... they won't like it! Raise your temps in the room that holds your tent.

Ragga89

Thank you very much! Glad i've found you! So.. when you say "they won't like it", you mean they will die? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but honestly i don't know a lot. The thing is that i can't raise the temperature because it's a basement and it's like empty. Do you have any suggestions? Again, thanks you!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Heat your basement, or place a radiant htr in your tent (on a thermostat)! You want your temps between 20-25 degrees C.

Ragga89

Ok, so go get it right. When i am waiting for the seedling to come out and grow for atleast 3 weeks i must have it in the dark till they go to the veg phase?

Lrus007

Veteran
Hello guys,

i put sprouting seedlings under a 1000 watt.
only a little over a foot above them.
they like the light and heat. if your light is
closer. your temps at the seedlings will be warmer.
they will be ok under your 600. but run a fan so no
hot spots under light.
hope this helps Lrus007

Lrus007

Veteran
Ok, so go get it right. When i am waiting for the seedling to come out and grow for atleast 3 weeks i must have it in the dark till they go to the veg phase?

you want 18 to 24 hours of light during grow.
when it is time to bud 12 hours on and 12 hours
off for the light.
Lrus007

Ragga89

Thank you so much for your answers my friend! I will try to see what happens, otherwise i will take something that produces enough heat for the tent so i can get started... any other suggestions you would like to give? I'll try to give a screenshot today if possible from my setup.

Brother Nature

Hey mate, congratulations on starting. The first grow is always the best, you learn the most. There's a lot of information on the 'tutorial' page of this site (https://www.icmag.com/modules/Tutorials/) some of it is old, but the vast majority of it still applies. Also, don't' worry too much man, you learn something every grow, that is the true goal.

Ragga89

Thank you @Brother Nature! So guys i decided to buy something that puts the temps atleast at 22 - 24 C and also i will add a device so i can increase the moisture to 60% - 65%. Also i will check the guides thank you again for that! The seeds that i'll be growing are x3 Skywalker OG Kush, 2x White Widow and lastly 1x Royal AK (all feminized). I hope i can handle these strains well :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sounds like a plan :)

Outdoors, you are victim to mother nature's schedule and environment which, you have more or less no control over. However, growing indoors means, you, have to replace mother nature and look after everything yourself which means:

• controlling temperature (20-25 deg C);
    • heat in cooler climates/months; and
    • cooling during warm/hot spells.
    • controlling the "exhaust fan" speed to maintain heat and humidity. e.g in a perfect world, we should be able to be in the ball park with "the amount of air" exchanged and IMO only fine tuned with the appliances.
  • controlling humidity; (50-70 % RH (dependent on what stage the plant is at))
    • a humidifier during winter or low RH months; and
    • a de-humidifier during summer or high RH months.
  • lighting;
    • I like to use a PAR meter to accurately chceck the lights intensity and foot print. Many folks skimp on this item, but IMHO it is a necessity. Heck if we dial our grows in, they will pay us back in abundance. The gear we acquire will pay off over time.
    • cuttings/seedlings 60-90 PPFD
    • clones 100-200 PPFD
    • veg 300-425 PPFD
    • flower 700-1200 PPFD
There are many ways to skin a cat but, until we gather experience, we need assistance, through research and instrumentation.

https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/how-to-grow-white-widow-marijuana
https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/how-to-grow-skywalker-og-marijuana

I am not familiar with the 3rd strain.

Ragga89

Great info, much appreciated @Switcher56! Another question i have, can i use both humidifier and a small fan heater? I am afraid because the humidity is going to be like 70% and maybe the fan heater acts like crazy because of it?

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
I start few feet from seelings slowly drop as they grow never burned plants inside only transitioning from inside to out.

Ragga89

Big <3! It's funny tho, because a friend of mine gave me the lights and the fans, that all i had to do was to buy the tent and 1 - 2 more stuff. Turns out i was not prepared at all. Atleast it's a good lesson i guess...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Great info, much appreciated @Switcher56! Another question i have, can i use both humidifier and a small fan heater? I am afraid because the humidity is going to be like 70% and maybe the fan heater acts like crazy because of it?
Yes you can :) I had a fan htr. I replaced it with a radiant htr, like the old house radiators. Why? It is a heat sink. It will heat the room while the power is off. Can't say the same for regular filament heaters.

As heat goes up, RH goes down and, vice versa.

Wrt RH, take a chill pill :) No need to panic... You know what you need, it is simply a task of coordinating the entire process. e.g a humidity controller and a "htg" controller. One leg humidifies while the other de-humidifies. Same applies to the htg/cooling controller.

In the entire process, you will find that running "appliances" is a coarse adjustment. Exhaust fan speed in the "fine adjustment knob", for the lack of a better word.

Welcome to the club. We've all been there and bought the T-shirt. baby steps :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Big <3! It's funny tho, because a friend of mine gave me the lights and the fans, that all i had to do was to buy the tent and 1 - 2 more stuff. Turns out i was not prepared at all. Atleast it's a good lesson i guess...
Been there done that. As long as you are willing to learn, all these obstacles are easily overcome d. Dial your set up and allow yourself time to perfect what you are doing/using. Once you have "mastered" <--- to strong a word growing cannabis, then it is time to go after improvements etc... e.g changing nute lines ect... baby steps :tiphat:

Ragga89

So i went and bought them today and my temps with the lamp are 25 C and my humidity is between 55%-60%. My question is i have to close the humidifier when the lamp closes or it should be working all the time? Atm i have 18-6 light schedule and for the fans i turn em off 5 - 10 minutes every 1hr.

Ragga89

To be more specific i bought these:

Humipro Standard Humidifier 4lt
Budget Convector that works with 750w and says it can heat up a small room.
(Both got protections).

I'll provide some pictures later on. Again cheers for everything guys.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So i went and bought them today and my temps with the lamp are 25 C and my humidity is between 55%-60%. My question is i have to close the humidifier when the lamp closes or it should be working all the time? Atm i have 18-6 light schedule and for the fans i turn em off 5 - 10 minutes every 1hr.
I do not have my exhaust fan on a timer. It is on all the time. The amount of CFM it displaces varies, adjusted to suit both the ambient and room/tent environment.

One thing I ran across last summer was, when the de-humidifier was on, my tent temps were to high (for my liking). I was pulling hot humid air from the top of the tent, returning it to the tent at the bottom. I am still sucking from the top but, I now discharge to the room (den) via a charcoal filter. Solved that problem.

Because of the challenging environmental climate here, I have decided to forgo growing during Jul- Aug. I don't really need to grow during the summer months and, doing so allows more freedom to enjoy your summer :)

One size does not fit all, dial your grows to suit your environmental conditions and personal needs. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts