Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > 6 inch hood on a 4 inch fan

Thread Title Search
6 inch hood on a 4 inch fan Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM #1
djibra

djibra will become famous soon enoughdjibra will become famous soon enough
6 inch hood on a 4 inch fan

hi fam,

so did anyone used/cooled a 6 inch reflector with a 4 inch fan? i dont find many quality hoods in 4 inch so im looking at bigger ones..but i have a new 4inch fan and i dont want do make extra investments so can you help me out on this one

hope i was clear with my english

cheers
djibra is offline Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 PM #2
GodspeedGrows

GodspeedGrows is on a distinguished road
you can, youll just get the cfm of a 4" instead of the cfm of a 6"
GodspeedGrows is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 PM #3
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by djibra View Post
hi fam,

so did anyone used/cooled a 6 inch reflector with a 4 inch fan? i dont find many quality hoods in 4 inch so im looking at bigger ones..but i have a new 4inch fan and i dont want do make extra investments so can you help me out on this one

cheers

I'm gonna use a 4in vortex to cool one 1000watter, with a 6in air cooled hood. I hooked it up and it'll work......yes a 6in would be better fitting and cool multiple hoods. But I got this 4in vortex almost brand new for less than 25$ including shipping. If it wasn't for such a good deal I'd probably have bought a 6in fan for 6in reflector. I use a 8in Hydrofarm (big green( to circulate airflow in my growing area. I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM #4
its.always.420

its.always.420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvkindbud38 View Post
I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.
He already has a brand new 4" fan. Stated in OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djibra View Post
hi fam,

cheers
I've done it (with 1000hps) and it worked just fine, although only up to 70 degrees ambient temps. Had to switch out to a 6" for summer. I would only use one 4-6" adapter and pull air through the hood, with the intake side being 6" and the outflow 4".

Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM #5
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud ofwvkindbud38 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by its.always.420 View Post
He already has a brand new 4" fan. Stated in OP.

I've done it (with 1000hps) and it worked just fine, although only up to 70 degrees ambient temps. Had to switch out to a 6" for summer. I would only use one 4-6" adapter and pull air through the hood, with the intake side being 6" and the outflow 4".

I mint in general I wouldn't buy a 4in to go on 6in reflector. I used to use a 6in Vortex on 4 separate hoods....1000, 600, 430, 400 and that fan cooled 4 different styles of sunlight supply hoods, I kept plants pretty close to those hoods. Like I said Im using a 4in fan on 6in reflector....yes It works but if I was gonna buy new I'd go with 6in fan......in general.....yea I get he has a new 4in. Maybe that's a little more understanding lol
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM #6
f-e

f-e has disabled reputation
It's quite possible that an uncomplicated job such as this will see more airflow with a 4" than a more complex 6" install would.

There are many variables. Just one is the fact that most fan sizes are available in high and low power versions. Often, a high powered 4, uses the motor of a low powered 6. And will in fact shift more air once the going gets tough.

Perhaps a 4" fan outside the tent, can couple directly to a 6" duct, that does a line of sight dash through the tent wall, the light, and back out again into the same room. Leaving a second fan on carbon filter duties. So the extract fan is concerned with smell and humidity, while the lighting fan is a separate circuit.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 PM #7
Rab.C

Rab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to beholdRab.C is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-e View Post
It's quite possible that an uncomplicated job such as this will see more airflow with a 4" than a more complex 6" install would.

There are many variables. Just one is the fact that most fan sizes are available in high and low power versions. Often, a high powered 4, uses the motor of a low powered 6. And will in fact shift more air once the going gets tough.

Perhaps a 4" fan outside the tent, can couple directly to a 6" duct, that does a line of sight dash through the tent wall, the light, and back out again into the same room. Leaving a second fan on carbon filter duties. So the extract fan is concerned with smell and humidity, while the lighting fan is a separate circuit.
this is exactly the way i done mine today temp in tent is sitting at 24.5c to25c with 600watts.which is great it was 28c this morning without
the new reflector
Rab.C is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 12:13 AM #8
djibra

djibra will become famous soon enoughdjibra will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm gonna use a 4in vortex to cool one 1000watter, with a 6in air cooled hood. I hooked it up and it'll work......yes a 6in would be better fitting and cool multiple hoods. But I got this 4in vortex almost brand new for less than 25$ including shipping. If it wasn't for such a good deal I'd probably have bought a 6in fan for 6in reflector. I use a 8in Hydrofarm (big green( to circulate airflow in my growing area. I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.
cool..thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience means a lot..and yeah..i all ready have 4in fan
..although i would like to buy a 6in but i think its too strong for my 4x4 tent?! what do you think?

Quote:
I mint in general I wouldn't buy a 4in to go on 6in reflector. I used to use a 6in Vortex on 4 separate hoods....1000, 600, 430, 400 and that fan cooled 4 different styles of sunlight supply hoods, I kept plants pretty close to those hoods. Like I said Im using a 4in fan on 6in reflector....yes It works but if I was gonna buy new I'd go with 6in fan......in general.....yea I get he has a new 4in. Maybe that's a little more understanding lol
especially if it has speed controller incorporated aka.temperature control and that why i like it but like i said..i have a 4x4 tent

im using 600w hps but my 4in prima klima cool tube is just too small footprint...so thats why i would like to upgrade for a better hood

cheers
djibra is offline Quote