What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage (Aged) Herb

i have 1/8th an ounce of a killer queen cut from bcga, in glass, since the first run with them in 02'. it's been in storage so long, i don't even know what the taste would be, but it's been an ongoing experiment. shoulda stored an ounce and smoked it each year, little by little, but oooooh wellll!!

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
In my experience weed is best within 3-6 months after harvest. I've had bud that was kept in various conditions, jars, freezer, jars in freezer, vacuum seal, etc.

The potency remains reasonably unchanged but the smells begin to lack. Peppery, and greasy strains have the longest shelf life, and fruity ones have the shortest. They still seem to have decent taste on smoking, but the smell in the jar leaves. More importantly many of the complex aromas leave.

I've been told that racy, paranoia inducing, tweaky sativas smoke very different after a several years cure but I don't believe I've ever had one so long. I'd like to try some thai or vietnamese with 3rs cure. I imagine the thc begins to age, and change chemical composition. Making it more mellow.

My dealer will still sit on an eigth of a choice strain for literally years. And its not uncommon for him to offer me a few grams of some exotic stuff that was cured for years. Unfortunately if I'm honest many of the aesthetics have left by then, and is the reason why it gets sold to me. The stone is still there though.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
this is a great thread. some friends in college put together and hodge podge grow and one of the two dudes kept a bud for prolly three years. brown as hell with very little smell but it got us quite toasted....

i am going to put aside a quarter or half ounce in jam jars for all the different strains i cut down. label and date them. this thread has inspired me to age it long and well

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I've enjoyed herb that was over two years old (many varieties). In most cases, the herb was extremely good. Flavor profiles were excellent. High's typically have a bit more body as some of the active constituents convert over time. Nothing wrong with well aged herb.

Anyone try anything ten years old? I'm wondering how the potency would be. I have some bud from a couple years ago that is still potent.

G

Guest3498

I've got some buds that were harvested in december 2010 still hanging around. Frankly they aren't even close to as good as they were a couple months after being jarred up - in other words they are past their prime imvho.

Does anyone have experience with vacuum sealing and freezing buds? Wondering how good of a solution that is for long term storage...

Friend

Veteran
up until recently i had some ghs lemon skunk that had been curing in a jar for about 2 years. after that amount of time, it had gone from lime green to a bright gold color. the trichomes were sparkly gold as well. it looked great, but the pungent lemon flavors had faded a bit. still got me just as high as when it was freshly harvested, however.

I feel that potency lasts for much longer than most think. My friend told me that his dad found some bud in a BAG from 20 years ago that got them all high. Kind of surprising.:chin:

M

MummyCat

I just busted out some snowcap, grape ape and cinnamon red from 2009.

It was gross.

G

gloryoskie

I guess some strains age better than others.

Got some thai haze x skunk going on 18 months jarred. I'll post some pics sometime.
Not much to look at on its own, but together with the scent and taste, sublime.

It's a good counterpoint, like a fine wine with a delicious meal.

M

MummyCat

Yeah, the smell is usually faded as well as the taste. How about the high?

...got me high but I was pissed that it tasted like shit so that ruined it. I took one hit and threw it all away, twisted up some goods.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Funny I should see this thread...I was just home visiting my parent's, after having not been there in 2 years; the buds and hash I left was among some of the best medicine I'd ever had...In fact, some of the flowers came from a highly respected member of this very community, who unfortunately was locked up for a while, not too long after I'd obtained the medicine, (thankfully he's out now, yay!) ...Unfortunately, the bud didn't keep quite as well as I had hoped, (which I'm sure is my fault, probably not the most air tight jars; so it had lost most of it's flavor and fragrance.) But, the hash kept fairly well: SSH full melt from April of '09.
Not as "vintage" as some of your examples, but quite special none the less! :)
:witch:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
I just recently found a jar of SSH that's been stashed away for over a year, and a medicine container filled with hash I had made and some how forgot about? When my lady brought it to my attention I about flipped! The SSH had a gorgeous golden hue, and tasted like vanilla, the hash was still great, but not as good as I remember from 2 years back when I think I made that. Maybe the medicine bottle, and no airtight container had something to do with this. Great thread Mosca, I just stumbled apon it in the new posts! Much love all, enjoy the aged ganja :tree: Much love, SL