What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage (Aged) Herb

D

dankbudz

one time when i was strung out i hide a qp and forgot about it. i sobered up bout 3 months later. cleaned my moms house for helping me get throught the rought times. so whe i was vaccuming i lifted up the couch and found the qp i forgot i stashed. that was a great day. needless to say after that only half the house got cleaned.

i grew some Dutch Passion Masterkush back in '02 and filled 3 jars with the harvest. I smoked over the course of 3 years (don't smoke that much ;) ) I remember thinking that it did not smell at all like pot, and I can still remember that smell to this day. It was the most fragrant thing, just like kitchen herbs all mixed up. Wonderful flavor, great high. Unfortunately I lost a bunch to spider web mold, apparently I had not dried sufficiently or else the jar was not sealed.

215 User

:eek:

I found about 5 grams of " MindFuck" in 05' behind a shelf in the garage from harvest in 03'. I would love to get some more of those beans....

Mosca where can I get some of your gear???????????????????
:kos:

dkmonk

I look at it this way, you can smoke your stuff right away (well dried and cured for a month), and have some nice spectacular buds with good flavor and high, but once the stuff has been cured for years, you take out more unwanted tastes and come out with actual herb not just some weed.

It may be drie and crumble but the flavor is so much more profound and sometimes aroma, and the high also changes, in my opinion most of the time better.

Another anologie would be like drinking a good fruity wine aged nicely, then try drinking some wine that was in a cellar for 100 years of the same kind, it's almost 2 different wines.

Whether it's better to let your weed sit for a couple years, well i guess thats up you and your personal tastes and likes.

M

mosca negra

Rock on! There are some really good posts here and lots of great info!! I will get some pics posted here this week.

Thinking about sending in some more freebies-- any requests?

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Let's throw some oil on the fire here...

An excerpt from Michael Starks' "Marijuana Chemistry", chapter "Marijuana Constituents and Their Effects":

"One of the best studies on deterioration of marijuana with time was reported in 1973 by University of Mississippi researchers. They put dried, cured marijuana in amber glass bottles which were not airtight and observed cannabinoid content at various temperatures for 100 weeks ... Table 1 shows that if marijuana is stored for a year at room temperature in the dark, it should not loose more than 10% in potency. The CBD content was constant at all temperatures. As is usually the case with fresh marijuana, most of the THC (about 95%) was actually present as THC acid. Significant decarboxylation of THC acid to THC occured only at 36.6º/98F, when it decarboxylated about 50% during the year period. An experiment on hashish showed that one minute at 50º/122F decarboxylated about 50% of the THC acid. Thus, a few minutes in a 200º/392F oven would suffice for complete convertion..."

Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction where a carboxyl group (-COOH) is split off from a compound as carbon dioxide (CO2). It is the process that permits THC to become psychoactive.

The intitially high ratio of THC acid explains why unripe or fresh bud fails to give the same psychoactive effect as well cured bud. But as the bud slowly becomes more psychoactive, it also loses in potency.

Last edited:

JustinCase

6 months. That's it. That's the longest I've cured my buds for. I couldn't make it to a two year cure if I tried. After a few month's I'm eyeing them jars hard... Excellent post Rosy. You have a link to that study by any chance?

H

Hazeseeker

7 Months is the longest i've managed to cure buds for, i thought it was amazing the way the flavours would change/age as each month went by, 1 pheno in particular of Mr Nice AfgHz x AfgSk went from smelling Spicy, Antique Shop/Aged Wood type smell, 7 months down the line it smelled like Tropical Fruit Juice, taste was like the smell however you could pick up a velvet Chocolate taste in the Background :joint:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
JustinCase said:
You have a link to that study by any chance?

Nope, but I've got the source reference:

J.W Fairbairn et al., "The Stability of Cannabis and its Preparations on Storage," Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 28 (1976): 1

C.E Turner et al., "Constituents of Cannabis Sativa L. IV: Stability of cannabinoids in Stored Plant Material," Journal of Pharmaceutial Science 62 (1973): 1601.

Allegedly, The University of Mississippi was also behind the breeding of the G13 clone, but the BS probability of the G13 story is high IMO.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool thread! :yes:
Here some of my aged outdoor 07 buds :D

20´Thai´s thai ´79
012-2.jpg

ACE´s Ot1´s Haze#18 x Nepal Mist f2
017-1.jpg

Mongrel :D

rasjano & Martika :friends: helped me to smoke it out :muahaha:
Imagen005-2.jpg

6 months cure DC..love the colors...
001.jpg

Last edited:
H

Hazeseeker

Fine selection Raco, love the look of the DC as well, full of frosty goodness :yummy: , K+ for managing to cure them for that long without being tempted to smoke it all :respect: , the 7 Month cure i done through this year was amazing, i can only imagine how good those longer samples must be :yes:

MyAssIsGrass

?_?
Veteran
This Power Plant bud has been curing in my most airtight jar since October 2005 and there are a few more from 05 in the jar along with it. I recently sampled some of it in a glass gravity bong and the spicy flavour was so full and strong, it actually tastes like you've eaten something. Definatly the most delicious cannabis I've ever smoked, I've never experienced such a full taste from smoking. If I get a good harvest this October, that will give them at least another year in the jar since I usually leave the best until last for a longer cure (and because I don't like breaking up nice looking buds :tongue:)

Nice thread mosca negra :wave:

Monad

I've cured for 9 months no problem, but always put em in the freezer after that for fear of them spoiling.

4 or so years ago I had been collecting keif in a film tube and empty pill capsules, I forgot about em and found one of the capsules about 3 mo later all the trichs were pitch black.
It was in my room as far as I know the whole time sealed in darkness, must be something different about the loose keif b/c it didnt last long at all...now if i pressed it who knows, how long has someone kept pressed hash for?? how dark has the outside gotten?? ISO hash lasts forever and always looks the same in my experience.

Great to know some people have done a couple years no problem, I'll be pulling some peak-19 out of the freezer to let it cure longer...

lala124

Best Ive had is 5 year old Bubblegum. Taste was out of this world. If its in an airtight glass jar I find it doesnt lose potency at all, only if it isnt airtight.

I plan on digging a hole and putting a few jars of this years harvest in, and coming back in a few years and digging em up. Treasure hunt anyone?

Good thread btw.

Last edited:

thinman

i like to keep a few select buds in jars to revisit the goodies from time to time. i keep them in mason jars in the bottom of a cabinet where it is cool and dark. there are three in there now: chocolate diesel, pukeberry, and trainwreck. the cd and pb have improved in flavor and effect, but the trainwreck flavor has not improved---in fact, a buddy of mine said it tasted "nasty, with a burnt hair aftertaste"....it will still get you ripped to the bone, but it tasted much better when fresh dried. i can't explain this one. tw is probably the only strain that hasn't improved with a good "aging". i'm sure it was something i did wrong, like maybe putting them away while they had too much moisture in them or something. of the three, the pb now has a wonderful flavor and a very nice stone. the only problem is the jar of pb is nearly empty :(

K

Karma Genetics

I never cured anything longer then 6 months. I always seem to smoke it ore give it away.

But afther the Outdoor harvest of 2006 i gave my father a branch of the Purple Peace i grew that year (my Father wantedc to smoke for the first time)
Then at the end of 2007 i was at my father and was looking for some spice's in the kitchen. I found the branch on top of a closet just laying there not jarred ore anything, just laying there in the open.

The taste was extreem sweet. The effect was a litle less then before. But taste was improved for sure.

LuxStoned

I was on probation for a year, so I managed to keep some nugs of the finest smoke I could find throughout 2005. It is kept in mason jars, which I open from time to time to let in some new air. The smoke seems to be more potent now than when it was received. The Super Haze actually seems to smell even more, but some of the other strains have lost some aroma, but not the high.

G

grapepunched

I have sampled Lux's Super Haze and what he says is true, his bids are top notch though!

-gp