What's new

STRANGE STRAW COLORED CIRCLES: LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I apologize about the quality of the pictures. I'm using an iPhone.
What will be depicted below are two strains developing.....1) Ice Cream, 2) Opium. Both are in Coco Coir. One has recently been transplanted into a 5" pot...the other in a small 3" ceramic pot. They were both feminized and started from seedling. Everything was absolutely a.o.k. until a few days ago when they started developing straw colored splotches. I've been rather conservative with the nutrients, so I don't believe it's burn (no leaf curl). I also haven't foliar fed the plants with lights on (so it's not little magnifying glass burn marks either). The pH is dead on....
If the nutes were too low, I would expect a general yellowing and slow growth. Intead, these little gals are taking off rapidly...
There don't appear to be any pests and I've scrutinized the leaf surface.
I will say that I've only experienced this with Coco Coir.....never with soil and never with hydroton or rockwool. Anyone know anything specific about coco that could cause this effect?
Any input would be great...
OPIUM TOP VIEW:

OPIUM SIDE LEAF IMAGE 3:

OPIUM SIDE LEAF IMAGE 2:

OPIUM SIDE LEAF IMAGE 1:

ICE CREAM: SUPRALATERAL VIEW

ICE CREAM: SIDE PROFILE

ICE CREAM SIDE LEAF IMAGE 2

ICE CREAM SIDE LEAF IMAGE 1

HOW THEY STARTED OUT: PC CHAMBER SEEDS IN COCO COIR

J

jipedestran

gotta be nutrient related.

It looks like it is only effecting the bottom portion of the plants? not the new and newer growth?

you may want to post this in the coco forum, see if my boy Gaius has anything to say about it.

if it was me, I would let it go and see what happens as they get bigger. Maybe bump up your nutes a shade.

peace
jip

mk6

looks like a micro defincency cal/mag - also how do you feed them could you have spilled (splashed) nutes on them?

CannaZine

Hi;

Coco grower here :)

Looks to me like water quality may be at fault.

Plants are a good, deep color. Looks like they want for nothing else.

I would probably re-calibrate my pH pen, mix up a batch of nutes, and throw some epsom salts in for good measure, just in case its early Mg deficiency, and if its not, it won't do any harm.

Good luck.

Red dragon

accessndx

Veteran
Thanks for the input, getting some PMs from others that are suggesting much the same. The funny thing is that the plants seem overall really healthy and hearty. If it weren't for the spots, I'd have no worries 'bout them. My feeling is that the Coco allows any changes in the nutrients, pH or water quality to impact the plants more rapidly. As I've said in another thread, soil is a more forgiving buffer....the Coco accelerates the whole growth process and quickly allows root-bounding...so it would make sense that everything else is kind of sped up also....including whatever is making these gals a bit spotty.
I appreciate all the feedback...thanks alot ppl.

accessndx

Veteran
mk6 said:
looks like a micro defincency cal/mag - also how do you feed them could you have spilled (splashed) nutes on them?

I've been feeding them with a sports water bottle, but been especially careful to only get it onto the surface of the coco...it was rather easy when the plants were smaller.....so I don't suspect it's that...but I'm not ruling it out entirely...I am stoned more than half the time and could overlook that little detail...LOL. I'm hitting them fulltime with the Cal/Mag also...I had suspected it earlier and wanted to cover my bases.