What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-550 V2 Test

Katsu

Veteran
I just received the 550 V2 to test against a Hortilux 1000W HPS in a side-by-side. Unfortunately, I didn't receive it in time for the 2/1 flip so I'll be doing in in April.

In the meantime, I stuck it in my veg tent and it is pretty slick. Really low profile, BRIGHT white light, and it runs really cool compared to the HPS.

Katsu

Veteran
I'm booting all but 6 plants from the tent and going to flip the switch. Bubba Kush, 91 Dragons, Bandaid Haze 7, and Key Lime Pie. I'll get some pics loaded up soon :)

They all are thriving under the 550 LED's, and I want to see how they do flowering.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I got QB288 double panel and it made me a fan. I was coming from cheaper LED, but it put out more light for less wattage at the wall than the 2x I was using so I'm very interested to see how the 550s perform.

soil margin

Veteran
Nice light Katsu, was thinking about getting one of those so I'm interested in your review of it's performance. How big of a sqft area are you planning on it covering during flower?

Katsu

Veteran
Nice light Katsu, was thinking about getting one of those so I'm interested in your review of it's performance. How big of a sqft area are you planning on it covering during flower?

I've got it in a 4x4. I'm flipping today. The Bandaid Haze is going to be a monster and will need to be relocated in a few weeks - I let her go WAY too long in veg for a tent grow :) Right now I've got her trained and pruned low, but I think she'll fill one by herself soon...

Katsu

Veteran
picture.php

Katsu

Veteran
There was a timing snafu so the side by side has been delayed until May. I'll post some updated pics of the flowering tent - it's at 7 weeks and looking nice. I need to do a better job lollipopping them next time for better canopy penetration.

Katsu

Veteran
picture.php

This is my Key Lime Pie clone at just under 6 weeks under the HLG 550 V2. As I mentioned, I need to do a better job lollipopping for better light penetration, but so far I am thrilled with the LED's. I am looking forward to the side by side to compare yield, but in terms of quality the buds appear to be top-shelf. My friends keeping telling me how much better they will taste - I'll let you know...

Last edited:

Katsu

Veteran
Here's the 4x4 test flowering at 6 weeks. So far I'm very satisfied and planning on switching over entirely to LED's.

picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Katsu your grow looks good man ive been lurking and im happy to see your grow coming on so well.. i will be receiving some new lights similar to yours in the next week or so and also going over to leds if they are the way forward and if I have the height needed for them I am reading lots lately about them but still don't fully understand but have some good advisors on site so that's good anyhow best of luck :tiphat:

Katsu

Veteran
Here is the Bandaid Haze 7 under the HLG 550 V2 at 9.5 weeks. For a Sativa, I am very pleased with how she is growing. When she's done in 4.5 - 6.5 weeks, the buds should actually be reasonably dense. I grew out Neville's Haze years ago indoors under 1000W HPS and it was amazing, but really wispy... I have a seeded BH7 under 1000W HPS now and she doesn't look nearly as dense as this one. Really looking forward to the side by side - getting close now...
picture.php